Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
You're another one that is just full of made up bs, that you like to site as fact. Here let me challenge all of your assertion. I'll only challenge the one's that are complete bs. A few I tend to agree with.

1. Funny how this is a blatant and outright lie. The SAT national average was the following in the US starting at 1980 Average SAT Scores, 1972–2007 — Infoplease.com
Washingtonpost.com: The Challenge Index
NR Back-to-School Issue September 15, 1997

1980 - 994
1984 - 1001
1988 - 1006
1992 - 1001

2005 - 1028

SAT scores have consistently gone up over the last 20 years. When you took the SAT i doubt considerable less than half of the senior high school student population in the county took the test. I'm sure i could find evidence to support this data.

You mean to tell me, that a poor county like Prince George's in the 1980's was testing above both Montgomery County and Fairfax in 1989?

It was also testing 10% above the national average at the time?

If this was the case were did all those Ivy League students from Prince George's go to after they graduated from Bladensburg, Fairmont Heights, Parkdale, and other schools? (You can clearly sense my sarcaism). With SAT's scores 10% above the national average they had a bunch of really smart kids here that graduated from those high schools in 1989? Where are they now? Or is this just more bs that is unsubstantiated that pours out of your mouth like hot lava?

4-8 I tend to agree with, but I'm sure most of the increase is not county wide and can be attributed to the inner beltway, but since you did not post where you got your "factual" information no one can really challenge those assertions. However, I think you're probably spot on with those increases in crime in PGC, but i think all if not most has happend only inside of the densly populated inner beltway.
Truth do the research on PG from 1965-today. You will see a very dramatic change in the county. At one time PG was the largest and most successful urban/suburban school district in the country. It was one of the top two in data along with Montgomery County. It has become a casualty of urban sprawl big time. Any way you cut it my friend you can go to the concentric zone model of urban growth and you can see how Baltimore and DC have consumed much of central Maryland and it is continuing. The changes in parts of Anne Arundel and Howard are obvious. Just look at school demographics and track test scores. Baltimore and Harford Counties and now Charles are and have seen sigificant changes. Maryland has challenges and if we ever catch Osama and bring Iraq/Syria/Iran/North Korea under control you will see a depression here. We have kept our heads above water in the post 9/11 era and BRAC is considered by many to be the states life raft. PS Prince Georges years ago was truly wealthy. It was the bed room commute for DC workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM

746 posts, read 846,416 times
A Region Divided: The State of Growth in Greater Washington, D.C. - Brookings Institution

Poor People and Poor Neighborhoods in The Washington Metropolitan Area

Turborg, I cannot seem to find a lot of data prior to 1990. At one point i was able to, but I have since lost those links. I'd be curious to compare the county from 1960 to present day and see what the differences are. From most of what i've read about the county it started off as an "affordable housing" area outside of the beltway. Starting in the 1960's a large group of whites that lived in South East DC begin moving into the "affordable housing" within the inner beltway. Later in the 1980's middle class blacks begin moving out of DC and into the outer beltway. I've also read they were followed by poorer blacks in the late 80's and early 90's that moved into the new vacated formely poor white areas, such as District Heights, Fairmont Heights, Cheverly, Landover Hills, and Temple Hills etc. Is this history sound about right? If so this is why i have a hard time believing at any point PG was ever on par with Montgomery County. Moco has always been fairly affluent and always far more affluent than PG. I believe the same with Fairfax. However, hopefully i can find data to see if this is true or not.

Last edited by truthhurts; 01-21-2008 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,425 times
Some one posted this link once before on the history of Prince George's County. Page 10 goes into detail about TRIM and it's affect on Prince George's County Schools.
http://www.planning.org/economic/pdf/Brandly.pdf (broken link)

I once wrote several papers in college about TRIM. While researching TRIM I learned a lot about the history of the county and it's school system. Here are two articles published in the Washington Post from 1996.
WashingtonPost.com: Penny Wisdom in Prince George's

WashingtonPost.com: Prince George's Caps Taxes Even Tighter

Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Your basic assumptions are correct

Quote:
A Region Divided: The State of Growth in Greater Washington, D.C. - Brookings Institution

Poor People and Poor Neighborhoods in The Washington Metropolitan Area

Turborg, I cannot seem to find a lot of data prior to 1990. At one point i was able to, but I have since lost those links. I'd be curious to compare the county from 1960 to present day and see what the differences are. From most of what i've read about the county it started off as an "affordable housing" area outside of the beltway. Starting in the 1960's a large group of whites that lived in South East DC begin moving into the "affordable housing" within the inner beltway. Later in the 1980's middle class blacks begin moving out of DC and into the outer beltway. I've also read they were followed by poorer blacks in the late 80's and early 90's that moved into the new vacated formely poor white areas, such as District Heights, Fairmont Heights, Cheverly, Landover Hills, and Temple Hills etc. Is this history sound about right? If so this is why i have a hard time believing at any point PG was ever on par with Montgomery County. Moco has always been fairly affluent and always far more affluent than PG. I believe the same with Fairfax. However, hopefully i can find data to see if this is true or not.
Your assumptions are accurate. Montgomery was wealthier and PG was led by a very skilled superintendent who left in a salary dispute. At that time Howard was not as developed etc etc. PG was a reasonable commute. Just the mere fact that the TRIM tax restrictions were passed shows how the political climate in the county has changed. I the last 25 years a number of counties have seen postitive economic stimulus and PG has had just the opposite. Look at Carroll county today and you see Howard of a few years ago. Look at Howard today and you see Baltimore County of a few years ago. The urban areas are moving outward and the suburbs move out a little further. There are multiple theories about urban/city growth and each has supporters and detractors. URBAN THEORIES: DYNAMICS OF INTERNAL GROWTH

How ever in the case of Maryland and many American cities you have a pluralism that creates another set of variables. What I find interesting is that you have very different patterns of development around DC. Contrast the adjacent areas of Virgina and Prince Georges. Again I leave it to others to discuss why Fairfax and PG represent such extremes. As does PG and Montgomery. I think it is fair to say that while a number of people on here think they disagree they really don't. There is strong consensus that there is a problem. Truth and others want it clarified that the problem is not based on the color of anyone but on the decisions they make. There are tons of affluent and successful people of all races in the DC area. Unfortunately the negative members of some groups have a monopoly on press coverage. Liberals have a history of wanting all Black folk to be responsible for all Black fold and clearly a lot of successful Black people are saying NOT. Who should be responsible to help deal with the issues? Government and beyond that those who feel so compelled. However do not for a minute think or expect a monolithic Black group identity to take on a group sense of guilt. Truth is right. In real life many white folks have difficulty listening to Black people talk about affluence and investments. Many do and many talk about their portfolio's and retiring early. Wanna see some white folks go into a tizzy? Let them know you are retired before 60 and don't have to work again in your life. Yes I know a lot of people go into a tizzy someone tells them that. For some reason that smacks of intelligence and being smarter then they are. Accept it folks Truth is one bright dude and proud of it. He may be a snob and well bred. He may even be Blue Blood. Yup Blue Blood and Black. It's about time we have more intergenerational wealth and upward mobility.

Truth keep on keeping on may you be a snob if you want. I am proud that your intellect drives a strong sense to acquire knowledge. METRICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS require intelligence and you love to flaunt yours. Start a thread call the intellectual thread and take it from there. If folks want to analyze the issues confronting Maryland from a data interpretation perspective. Provide the data and if anyone is interested they can join you. If not they can discuss it at the level they are comfortable with in another thread. I know the 100 wealthiest cities were an attempt at that. However you need to start over and clearly articulate that it is an effort in academia which you are great at. I have always told my kids that within three years maximum of graduating college your income should double your age and stay that way. Yes there is a point it should triple but then again I have high expectations.

Hopefully one day if you want you will have a house in the Hamptons. Hey your family may already.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Some one posted this link once before on the history of Prince George's County. Page 10 goes into detail about TRIM and it's affect on Prince George's County Schools.
http://www.planning.org/economic/pdf/Brandly.pdf (broken link)

I once wrote several papers in college about TRIM. While researching TRIM I learned a lot about the history of the county and it's school system. Here are two articles published in the Washington Post from 1996.
WashingtonPost.com: Penny Wisdom in Prince George's

WashingtonPost.com: Prince George's Caps Taxes Even Tighter
Blu, i find it funny you tend to disagree with me so harsly, but your planning link basically states everything i have ever posted on these boards about the county. However, I had no idea the historical significance of incompetent county leaders of the 1960's, that's pretty much where 90% percent of the blame should be placed. Wow, if anything people should be protesting on those families doors. I bet they're now all living in Potomac, MD or McLean, VA after stealing money and creating a hell hole in the innner betlway. As i've said before the only way for the county to catch up is to reduce taxes on high end commercial property and create a tech corridor along route 50 between PG and Ann Arundel County. The next step would be to start bull-dozing and taking down most if not at least 80% of the garden style apartments. Where will the poor go? Who gives a rats patute. They can move to Charles County, Alexandria, or Carroll County. Not sure why so many of you all complain about the crime, but when people talk about reducing the problem you clamour up in support for the same degenerates that are causing all the crime.

Last edited by truthhurts; 01-21-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Quote:
Blu, i find it funny you tend to disagree with me so harsly, but your planning link basically states everything i have ever posted on these boards about the county. However, I had no idea the historical significance of incompetent county leaders of the 1960's, that's pretty much where 90% percent of the blame should be placed. Wow, if anything people should be protesting on those families doors. I bet they're now all living in Potomac, MD or McLean, VA after stealing money and creating a hell hole in the innner betlway. As i've said before the only way for the county to catch up is to reduce taxes on high end commercial property and create a tech corridor along route 50 between PG and Ann Arundel County. The next step would be to start bull-dozing and taking down most if not at least 80% of the garden style apartments. Where will the poor go? Who gives a rats patute. They can move to Charles County, Alexandria, or Carroll County. Not sure why so many of you all complain about the crime, but when people talk about reducing the problem you clamour up in support for the same degenerates that are causing all the crime.
I have to say I agree with you on this one. I have stated plenty of times on the forum Pg county is in the process of getting rid of majority of the section8I am not sure if you have been to FED EX field but those apartments close to the field are all apart of the plan to rebuild LandOver Mall. The county will Bull doze the apartments behind old Land Over mall and all the shopping centers around Fed EX field. The apartments that are remaining will be upscale condos. The county will also build single familiy and Townhomes. The Old LandOver mall will look similar to Down Town Bethesda. The county so far is giving out less governemnt assistant then they did before and thecounty have increase property taxes. I know some apartments in Suitland and Forrestville have already been torn down so far but they will bull doze others. Pg county government is pushing the lower income and criminals to Charles County,Baltimore City and County some are also mvoing to Howard and AA county. Montgomery County is handing out governement assistant like its candy so a lot of Pg county lower income families are moving to Montgomery county for the government assistant.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
I'm not sure if Montgomery County is helping with social services more than any other county, but they definitely are busy. I work in Silver Spring in a building that also has Montgomery County social services in it. I have noticed that in this area, it is the hispanics taking advantage of the services offered. Usually, it is young couples with a couple of kids in tow (sometimes Grandma and Grandpa too). Most of the time they don't speak English and can't figure out how the elevator works. Most of the employees in this office are spanish-speaking also. Granted, this is close to the Langley Park area and probably services those individuals. Rarely do I see a white or AA going into these offices and the ones I have seen are usually very young pregnant girls that I am glad are doing the right thing and getting medical care.

I don't know if PG is pushing out the lower income families so much as possibly the lower income families are moving up in financial status. Even if all these apartments are being torn down and renovated, people with family and friends in this area will try to stay in the area. I can't imagine that there is a mass exodus of poor people moving far from everything they know.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Simple answer is the easiest and most obvious the income distribution. Besides University Park there are no inner beltway areas that come close to making over 60k a year. On the other hand the entire outter beltway areas with few exceptions make over 80k a year. I'd say that's a big difference in income wouldn't you?
So what. As quiet as its kept, many of the people inside the beltway own their homes outright. Most in the newer cookie cutter outerloop do not.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So what. As quiet as its kept, many of the people inside the beltway own their homes outright. Most in the newer cookie cutter outerloop do not.

Um, I don't know could this have something to do with the fact, that home mortgage are 30 years and most of the inner beltway neighborhoods have been around for more than 30 years? However, I do not buy you argument and i would have to see data that proves this can you provide it?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 AM

Statistical logic says that homes that are 30 plus years old have the greater ability to be owned outright since traditional mortgages are 30 years. Newer developments of 20 years or less would require that the mortgage be paid off early or be of shorter duration.
Remember most existing homes that in early 2006 were over valued had never been purchased at that price by anyone. New home were so two people could live in a 500K home. The one who lived there for 32years should have had theirs paid off with 100% equity. The one just purchasesd had much less and may not have had any. That was why I at one time was asking what is true wealth? Isn't it more then just current income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland