Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 21,245 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to read most posts about my question and I'm sure it's somewhat explained somewhere, but with what looks like a million threads it's hard to find out.

I'll try to make it quick and not annoying
My husband and I and our 3 daughters...3 years and 11 month old twins...are currently living in Florida. My DH is a teacher and I am part stay at home mom and part time photo tech at a Sam's Club. Living down here for 3 years now, we are coming to realize that teachers do not get paid well, the cost of living is certainly not what it used to be (also if you want to live in a nice, safe neighborhood), and I totally miss having the seasons!

Anyway, my DH is applying at private schools in Washington, D.C. and parts of Northern Virginia. Now since this is just rhetorical and I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can now instead of at the last minute...Dh is hoping to get accepted for the 2008 school year. I guess I'm just trying to find out how hard it is to get something like a house "rent with possibility to own option"? We have been living in a small 2 bedroom apartment with all our girls for over 2 years now, and I really don't want to move into another apartment. But I know moving to a completely different area, not knowing really anything about it and immediately trying to buy a house is pretty stupid.

Now since I don't know where he could end up getting a job or possible income change, I don't know if anyone can give me any ideas. Like I said I'm just trying to get good ideas now. I don't want to find out he's got this great job offer in June and we have to start researching places to live and have a month to do it

Thanks in advance to all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,304,475 times
If you want to be clost o both VA and DC and live in an affordable area I would recommend Charles County. You will find plenty of affordable homes in a reasonable price. Town homes range from 200k and up. Parts of the county are well develope while other areas are not.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM

198 posts, read 926,665 times
This is a very expensive area and even though teachers probably make more here than in Florida, the cost of living increase might completely eat up that pay raise. I'd research carefully before you consider a move here, especially if you plan to continue to stay at home with your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland