Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2023, 04:59 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,941,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Looks like he won't be around to see the completion of the Purple Line. Lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 06:13 PM

206 posts, read 210,199 times
The former Kapnos space in the Univ of MD Hotel will be occupied by an Iron Rooster restaurant. It is a small local chain in the Baltimore
/Annapolis area. Mostly an upscale breakfast restaurant. Not a dinner restaurant.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
The former Kapnos space in the Univ of MD Hotel will be occupied by an Iron Rooster restaurant. It is a small local chain in the Baltimore
/Annapolis area. Mostly an upscale breakfast restaurant. Not a dinner restaurant.
It makes sense. I think the hotel lost a breakfast spot when GrillMarx took over. GrillMarx doesn't server breakfast. I think the Iron Rooster is a great choice for breakfast. reminds me of The Ruby Slipper in Louisiana.

Will they be serving supper? I know the Annapolis location (flagship) servers supper.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:40 PM

Not sure, even Annapolis closes at 8/9 pm (varies), while the other locations close at 3pm

Old 03-07-2023, 05:03 AM

123 posts, read 76,403 times
Quote:

This is really shocking, I don't think there was any suspicions?

I wonder how this will affect the city. The position of mayor in Maryland is fairly weak, but I thought he was steering policy in the right way in terms of development and bike/walkability. We'll see how the next mayor does.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
This is really shocking, I don't think there was any suspicions?

I wonder how this will affect the city. The position of mayor in Maryland is fairly weak, but I thought he was steering policy in the right way in terms of development and bike/walkability. We'll see how the next mayor does.
That's a good question. You know you usually hear about the county or state pushing major initiatives. I think the office of mayor in this context is an advocate for the city. There is some autonomy as far as city services, etc.

Being the seat of a major university has its challenges I'm sure. During Wojahn's terms, I think there was a healthy symbiosis between the city and the university in terms of how College Park grows. I hope that continues.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:30 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
I think there was a healthy symbiosis between the city and the university in terms of how College Park grows. I hope that continues.
College Park has a bad history with NIMBY residents who think that they live in some fictional suburbia where nothing has grown since 1950 (except the trees, and they only ever grow, never decline), and the college is some countryside commuter school. I'm worried that this could blur the tenuous recent consensus around growing towards what it actually is - an urban university neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
College Park has a bad history with NIMBY residents who think that they live in some fictional suburbia where nothing has grown since 1950 (except the trees, and they only ever grow, never decline), and the college is some countryside commuter school. I'm worried that this could blur the tenuous recent consensus around growing towards what it actually is - an urban university neighborhood.
Market forces have and will dictate otherwise. I would say the momentum of the "University District Vision 2020" initiative has left the station a far long time ago. And Wojahn already signed off on the, "University District Vision 2030" in 2020. So, I think if there are any NIMBYs left by 2028, perhaps then they could exert their influence. But I think for now, the current vision for College Park is intact.

I do see NiMBYism growing as the permanent population grows. It has always been an interesting phenomenon when NIMBYs freely amass themselves over the years further restricting anyone else who may want to move in. I agree that some people, not all, wish for growth to freeze when they invest in a home because the current status quo drew them to the area. And they do tend to resist any change to that snapshot in time.

Tree NIMBYs are the worst. "Yeah, sure, my neighborhood was built on a once thriving forest, but that's not important. Don't cut down those trees!" ANd I say that in the context of urban infill areas. Not necessarily rural tiers.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 03-07-2023 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-12-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Still no official word on this. I followed their twitter handle. My god the things they create in that place. THe best brunch spot so far is The Hall at CP. I have not been to the Grillmarx brunch. But I think the Iron Rooster will be THE brunch spot on RT. 1 in College Park, Riverdale, and Hyattsville judging from what I have seen so far. I need to visit one day. Take a trip to Annapolis.

https://twitter.com/ironroosterfood/...306479106?s=20

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 05-12-2023 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-15-2023, 08:06 PM

On March 7th the owner of the Iron Rooster attended a city council meeting to discuss his restaurant. The council voted to give him a grant of $100,000, with another $100,000 likely in the future. Renovations have not yet begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland