Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 10:28 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
The Iron Rooster did sign a lease many months ago to open in the Univ of MD Hotel. Project may not be dead yet.

In other news, in the mid-town area the Campus Village Shopping Center and Town Hall Bar and Liquor will be closing down by the end of October to make way for a student housing project that has not yet been presented to the County Planning Board. Also the College Park Grill in the Cambria Hotel closed on August 26th after about 7 years in business,

So businesses are leaving at the same time as 3 new student apartment buildings just opened, with 2 others to open in 2024.
And we likely have 5 more large apartment projects that will begin construction in the Baltimore Avenue corridor next year.
Wow. That's a lot to unpack there. College Park Grill was a surprise. Even though we have only eaten there a few times. Its menu was manageable and the portion sizes were fair. They probably lost business once the RT.1 construction started. It is a beautiful restaurant space. Once RT.1 is complete, I could definitely see another restauranteur taking over.

All of the businesses will be closing? I hope they don't make that area one big building. That block is big enough to create plaza in the middle between two buildings. Or make three towers and have a T-shaped plaza. It will be interesting to see what the new retail mix will be. Will Taqueria Habanero relocate to one of the new spots?

If a lease has been signed by Iron Rooster, that's a pretty big commitment. However, the marketing and PR person is waisting time creating hype around the opening. The new location is still not the Web Site. ANd Iron Rooster social media is dark on the matter. Weird. Unless they are like two years out from opening. lol Which is believable.

Five new apartment projects. Wow. And we still can't get those power lines buried. Nice. What a site that will be dirving down RT. 1 with all the new fancy architecture behind a web of power lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 11:04 AM

282 posts, read 322,509 times
Can you list the 3 that just opened, 2 under construction and 5 set to begin construction next year? Too hard to keep track of all the changes!

Old 09-03-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Can you list the 3 that just opened, 2 under construction and 5 set to begin construction next year? Too hard to keep track of all the changes!
I know. I miss the quarterly updates newsletter.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:56 AM

123 posts, read 76,129 times
Quote:

I think it is possible, but not sure how likely.

By my counting we have
Just opened: Standard, Hub, (half of) Aspen Heights
Under construction: (half of) Aspen Heights, Sterling Place, Atworth
Beginning this year or next: Flats at College Park, Discovery Point, Terrapin House, Campus Village Shoppes

Another one that has been approved but has gone silent is Ecograds, so that would make it 5 I guess. There's also Aviation Landing, but that one is unlikely to start next year.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the list. I assume there a quite a few projects still in the pipeline. Is one of the projects listed above in the spot where those three motels are? Or is that in the pipeline. Also didn’t an investor purchase the college park car wash - any announcements on the future of that site?

Old 09-04-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the list. I assume there a quite a few projects still in the pipeline. Is one of the projects listed above in the spot where those three motels are? Or is that in the pipeline. Also didn’t an investor purchase the college park car wash - any announcements on the future of that site?
The one that will replace the hotels is the Flats at College Park.

https://dbknews.com/2023/02/06/affor...ge-park-flats/

Old 09-05-2023, 02:25 PM

206 posts, read 209,978 times
Ecograds is still in play, I believe. It has been stymied by the SHA Baltimore Avenue rebuilding work that is occurring along the western edge of the property. To the north, the Cherokee Street (south) apartment project is back in play now. A revised minor plan was filed with the County that would remove a few of the approved apartments and add about 20 more parking spaces. Also Kangnam Korean Barbeque was recently replaced with another Korean BBQ restaurant.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Ecograds is still in play, I believe. It has been stymied by the SHA Baltimore Avenue rebuilding work that is occurring along the western edge of the property. To the north, the Cherokee Street (south) apartment project is back in play now. A revised minor plan was filed with the County that would remove a few of the approved apartments and add about 20 more parking spaces. Also Kangnam Korean Barbeque was recently replaced with another Korean BBQ restaurant.
Gasp! Kangnam was replaced? My son JUST asked could we go there yesterday. I did notice the new sign and could not read it for the life of me. But Kangnam is still painted on the side of the building I believe.

I know the Iron Pig probably took some business away from them. Personally I liked the atmosphere of Kangnam. Iron Pig seems kinda loud for me. I dunno. I will try out the new spot perhaps tonight.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:36 AM

Old Leonardtown is currently being razed per this:

https://today.umd.edu/what-you-need-...023-facilities

Old 09-06-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Old Leonardtown is currently being razed per this:

https://today.umd.edu/what-you-need-...023-facilities
Lots of construction on campus going on.

Wonder if the university is also preparing for distance learning. Erecting new buildings on campus is akin to the commercial office real estate that is suffering from vacancies now.

At what point does the university slow development projects and invest more into distance learning with tools like VR, etc.

Of course nothing will replace research and labs, anything that requires hands-on learning. but for classes like social studies or politics, journalism, etc. Those may be good candidates for distance learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland