Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Crabs vs Mumbo Sauce
Crabs 20 80.00%
Mumbo Sauce 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC1 View Post
PG is associated with both. But I voted crabs. PG is in Maryland and has a history of having crab houses and crab trucks throughout the county. (Even though the crab trucks were banned in the 90's I believe. I think there is legislation allowing them to bring them back soon though.) Also the county has two rivers that crabs are caught in. People always forget about the Patuxent River. And someone mentioned Rough and Ready, I would put those crabs against any in the D.C. area. Mumbo sauce is self explanatory, you can find it in any carryout. I like the one at Landover Carryout on 202 in Cheverly and Eddy's in Lake Arbor.
Do you have to ask the people at eddy's for mumbo sauce on wings or do they just give it to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:06 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times
I am just now learning that Mumbo sauce is a regional thing. I always ordered it on my wings at Jerrys Subs and Pizza. I thought they made it up.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:12 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Crabs seem to be known as a Baltimore area, and eastern shore thing. Actually, you can go crabbing in all but 2 counties in the Baltimore Area which are Howard, and Carroll Counties. Old Bay, which is synonymous with crabs, is also synonymous with Baltimore. DC is more known for mumbo sauce than crabs.
I'm sure we agree, but the person who started the thread mentioned the DC suburbs, not Baltimore. This isn't a poll on who does crabs vs. mumbo sauce in the entire tri-state area. Yes, Baltimore, along with the Bay and coastal communities are known more for crabs hands down. But sticking to the poll, who is known more for crabs vs. mumbo sauce between DC and its suburbs in Maryland, namely Prince Geroge's, Montgomery, and to a larger extent, Howard and Anne Arundel counties.

I think it is pretty clear that the DC crab scene benefits from, and pales in comparison to, what Maryland and her waterfront communities can offer crab-wise.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Do you have to ask the people at eddy's for mumbo sauce on wings or do they just give it to you?
Not sure I understand this question. Mumbo sauce is a condiment. I have grown up in DC and PGC all my life and have always had to request it just like you request ketchup or hot sauce.

"4 wings with fried rice with mumbo sauce, please."

Some people ask that it be put on the wings and some ask for it on the side.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 10,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post

They will either ask you or you can ask for it. They will give it to you on the side if you prefer it that way. On the French fries you ask for salt, pepper and ketchup and they will put it on them as well.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'm sure we agree, but the person who started the thread mentioned the DC suburbs, not Baltimore. This isn't a poll on who does crabs vs. mumbo sauce in the entire tri-state area. Yes, Baltimore, along with the Bay and coastal communities are known more for crabs hands down. But sticking to the poll, who is known more for crabs vs. mumbo sauce between DC and its suburbs in Maryland, namely Prince Geroge's, Montgomery, and to a larger extent, Howard and Anne Arundel counties.

I think it is pretty clear that the DC crab scene benefits from, and pales in comparison to, what Maryland and her waterfront communities can offer crab-wise.

To go one step further, DC itself wasn't even mentioned and shouldn't be considered in determining an answer
Intriguing question...mumbo sauce is mostly a Black thing and crabs are a Maryland thing but more watered down in this part of the state as compared to the Baltimore area...native Black people are probably the biggest consumers of crabs in this area of the state
I will say crabs takes the win here...wider reach than mumbo sauce and although not Bmore and environs its still Maryland

Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
To go one step further, DC itself wasn't even mentioned and shouldn't be considered in determining an answer
Intriguing question...mumbo sauce is mostly a Black thing and crabs are a Maryland thing but more watered down in this part of the state as compared to the Baltimore area...native Black people are probably the biggest consumers of crabs in this area of the state
I will say crabs takes the win here...wider reach than mumbo sauce and although not Bmore and environs its still Maryland

I grew up in PG county and always seen crab trucks on the side of the street, Im used to steaming live crabs and cooked. Spent time in Baltimore for over 5 years and the crab culture wasn’t any more than what im used to, maybe because im on the edge of Anne Arundel where I get my crabs from too. My good girl friend from NEbaltimore never even heard of Camerons until she came to the DC area. I think PG county though has a bigger crab culture than DC though.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Mumbo sauce isn't a black thing. DC was mostly black back then and naturally black people were the highest consumers of the locally made sauce. Are we certain that white people were foregoing the sauce because it was a black thing?

Old 06-09-2017, 12:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

By mentioning Howard, and Anne Arundel counties, you include Baltimore by default, as they are Baltimore suburbs, and shares Baltimore's culture.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
When did crabs become associated with D.C. or PG County?

Please stop
People in DC and PG eat crabs every weekend in the summer. There are crab houses all over the DMV. My gut feeling Baltimore is more known for crab cakes than actual crabs.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 06-09-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland