Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Yeah. But I don't think Asians are immune to rapping and getting killed. Perhaps not in DC, but in other high Asian population areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times
Can't name one without Google. Of course they're out there, but I wager the top 10 Asian rappers are all probably alive. This thread is now about Asian Rap.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
PGPD News

Old 05-05-2018, 01:52 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
NBP, you should write this up as an article for publication and submit it to the Sun or Wa Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Agnew was 50 years ago while only one of the rest deals with a school system.

Since 2000 here are some major "issues" PGCPS has faced.

The elected School Board is abolished by the Legislature and is replaced by a Board appointed by the Governor, County Executive with input from the County's Legislative Delegation (ie: Sen. Thomas V. "Mike" Miller). The stated reasons were general dysfunction and inability to get along with Superintendent Iris Metts, a very good friend of then State Superintendent of Schools Nancy Grasmick.

The newly appointed Board discovers that Metts really is impossible to get along with. Dr. Metts resigns when it's discovered that PGCPS has a 5 year ineligibility for federal education grants due to misuse of previous ones.

The appointed Board hires Dr. Andre Hornsby. He resigns just before being indicted for taking kickbacks from school system vendors while he was Superintendent. He is later convicted of bribery charges and receives a 7 year sentence.

Hornsby is replaced as Superintendent by the outgoing appointed Board, an elected Board having been authorized to take over in a few months, by Dr. John Deasy.

Dr. Deasy implements new programs, a major one requiring all high schools to offer a minimum of eight AP classes called the AP8. A good program but schools had to offer the same list of courses with no variation. That was later amended to any eight AP courses.

Another program initiated by Deasy was the hiring of foreign teachers. More on that later.

Before the foreign recruitment of teachers really began Deasy resigns when questions about the validity of his doctorate surface.

Dr. Deasy is replaced by Dr. William Hite, his chief deputy and only applicant.

Hite ramps up the recruitment of foreign teachers, implements some new programs and eliminates others. He is noted for referring to the system's teachers as "human cattle" and "dumb deadbeats" in an address to administrators.

Hite leaves under fire for personnel issues, primarily abuse of the foreign teacher recruitment program. Fees for visas were illegally charged to the foreign teachers. Those fees were refunded to the teachers, the school system had to pay a $3M fine, was enjoined from recruiting internationally for five years and could not sponsor a visa extension for those teachers who had been hired. Many had to return to their home countries while others went to other school systems which were allowed to sponsor them.

The coordinator of the foreign teacher program is asked to resign and her severance pay is suspended by the Board. The CFA writes the check anyway, resigns and then joins Hite in Philadelphia.

While the elected Board is searching for a replacement for Hite County Executive Baker requests emergency legislation at the end of the legislative term wresting control of schools from the elected Board and placing in the office of the County Executive. That legislation passes.

Baker then hires Dr. Maxwell as CEO and installs his ex-brother in law as School Board Chairman as well as appointing a majority of Board members.

Maxwell implements new programs and eliminates others. He tries very hard to smooth relations with teachers which Hite had nearly destroyed.

The Deonte Carroway sex abuse scandal hits.

The grade fixing scandal hits (in the interest of honesty that had been going on since athletes were required to maintain a 2.0 GPA beginning in the 1980s).

The unauthorized raises become public.

I know a couple participants don't see the connection between turmoil in the schools and the inability to attract business headquarters and, recently, the FBI, which truly should have been a no brainer.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
I'm so tired of the Black Americans are inferior compared to White and Asians myth. Americans Blacks over work and over achieve only to get back half of what they put into the system. Stop comparing selective immigrants (asians) to a whole native population (American Blacks). It's silly because in reality barely 9 percent of Chinese in China are college compared to 20 percent of American Blacks. So I don't need to copy another ethnic group when my group is twice as educated.
In the first place, your post is totally off topic, in that we have been discussing PG County Schools, which are grades K-12, not post secondary education.

By deflecting such, you managed to rid yourself of the fact that PG and Balt City schools have the highest cost per student, yet the worst results in the state, as has been pointed out in a previous post..

It is you who are making the invalid comparisons between American Blacks and Asian students or workers - it's hard to be sure where you were going with your rant. I would like to see your source for saying that American Blacks over work and over achieve only to get back half of what they put into the system. I'm pretty sure we all would feel lucky if we saw anything coming our way that represented half of what we put into the system.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 PM

469 posts, read 549,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
In the first place, your post is totally off topic, in that we have been discussing PG County Schools, which are grades K-12, not post secondary education.

By deflecting such, you managed to rid yourself of the fact that PG and Balt City schools have the highest cost per student, yet the worst results in the state, as has been pointed out in a previous post..

It is you who are making the invalid comparisons between American Blacks and Asian students or workers - it's hard to be sure where you were going with your rant. I would like to see your source for saying that American Blacks over work and over achieve only to get back half of what they put into the system. I'm pretty sure we all would feel lucky if we saw anything coming our way that represented half of what we put into the system.
WRONG! My post was on point as it was in response to a ignorant non factual rant by another poster.

American Blacks born into poverty who OVER ACHIEVE and become college educated end up LOOSING WEALTH while American Whites increased theirs by 86 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.a7f9c3f984af

Bloomberg report on White and Black wealth gap. And how American Blacks overachieving by becoming college educated and starting intact families does NOTHING to correct the poverty they are born into

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cks-in-america

So as I stated American Blacks are perpetual overachievers stuck in perpetual poverty. If "Asians" or any other group here were harder workers then their native population would reflect that...it doesn't hence why they left.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times
Asians left? Left where?

To take one race and make a one size fits all statement is racist on its face, but it doesn't stop you from doing it. Asians, blacks, whatever, are not monolithic. Whether or not a particular Asian child grows up in a household that values what society would term "excellence and over achievement" has a lot to do with the culture her parents come from. Some Asians gravitate toward providing services. Some value professional careers. From what I've witnessed, some Asian groups are very good at funding each other's business ventures with a combination of sweat equity and investment over time. Others aren't so good, and many Filipinos have more in common culturally with, say, Peruvians than they would a Japanese person. You can't go around making these catch all statements. Life is much more nuanced than that.

Confession: I didn't read your links, but a lot of indebtedness is coming from the fact that young people are burdened by college debt. Just because you went to college does NOT mean you are an overachiever. If you started a company from nothing and turned it into a viable business, if you became a medical doctor, if you have several patents, if you have created a huge net worth from your own sweat and knowledge, that's what I call an "over achiever." A College degree means jack sh*t. It's a good start, but that's all it is.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
WRONG! My post was on point as it was in response to a ignorant non factual rant by another poster.

Then you should start a new thread and expound on that. Your response is still off topic. The thread is about PG county public schools. Try again.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:

American Blacks born into poverty who OVER ACHIEVE and become college educated end up LOOSING WEALTH while American Whites increased theirs by 86 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.a7f9c3f984af

Bloomberg report on White and Black wealth gap. And how American Blacks overachieving by becoming college educated and starting intact families does NOTHING to correct the poverty they are born into

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cks-in-america

So as I stated American Blacks are perpetual overachievers stuck in perpetual poverty. If "Asians" or any other group here were harder workers then their native population would reflect that...it doesn't hence why they left.
.........simply not true.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 AM

170 posts, read 188,073 times
Quote:
No you don’t understand raw numbers vs percentage. Point is It’s silly to compare select immigrants vs a native population. No you compare native population vs native population. When you do American descendants Of slaves out pace all these “mythical minority” native populations. Unlike them we didn’t have to immigrate away from our social constraints to do it.
Lol damn bro, you are super racist. Calling the entire Asian populace an immigrant population is hilarious, just like you. For all this talk about universities, you clearly haven't taken a single undergraduate course in American History 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland