Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most likely Maryland Metro expansion
Red Line to Clarksburg 4 17.39%
Orange Line to Old Bowie 0 0%
Blue Line to Bowie Town Center 3 13.04%
Green Line to BWI 9 39.13%
Green Line to Waldorf 5 21.74%
Purple Line to National Harbor (All the way inside the Beltway) 9 39.13%
Red Line to Olney 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times

Advertisements

I realize most of these are unlikely to happen, but I think some of them could. Which do you think is the most likely, which would you want to see the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM

27 posts, read 21,092 times
I'd love to see the Green Line go to Waldorf, since it would run through my neighborhood in Camp Springs. I think a metro stop at National Harbor would be cool, but I don't see it happening.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:57 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Purple Line to National Harbor is one of my choices. Green Line to BWI was the other. I don't see a Green Line to Waldorf. THere's just not enough density for in between stops. It would most likely be an express to Waldorf without a need for many stations in between.

I picked the Green Line to BWI, but realistically, there is the MARC train and also the Hyperloop and Maglev that may go from DC to BWI before the Green Line gets past Laurel. The Hyperloop and Maglev now has more legs than the Green Line to BWI.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Purple Line to National Harbor is one of my choices. Green Line to BWI was the other. I don't see a Green Line to Waldorf. THere's just not enough density for in between stops. It would most likely be an express to Waldorf without a need for many stations in between.

I picked the Green Line to BWI, but realistically, there is the MARC train and also the Hyperloop and Maglev that may go from DC to BWI before the Green Line gets past Laurel. The Hyperloop and Maglev now has more legs than the Green Line to BWI.
Completely disagree with you on this.

There is more than enough "density as you say" for a stop in Waldorf,Clinton/Andrews.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

There is more than enough "density as you say" for a stop in Waldorf,Clinton/Andrews.
Brandywine is the only area that isn't that dense. But I don't see it as an issue.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

That's three stops. Metro stops are usually a mile apart or less. Waldorf is 16 miles from the Branch Ave. station. You're talking at least 8 stops if you stretched each station 2 miles apart.

I don't think Metro is the answer. I think a commuter rail like MARC would be a better option. Metro infrastructure costs way more than commuter rail per mile.

I just don't think there's enough density along Rt. 5 to Waldorf to justify a $240 million per mile Metro line.

A MARC line out to Waldorf with stops in Clinton, Brandywine, and Waldorf is cheaper and makes better sense.

Job centers aren't spouting up along RT. 5 like they are along the Silver Line which has increased density in Tysons, Reston, Herdon, and Ashburn. Those areas are growing faster than Southern PG County.

I think there would be a Metro extension out to BWI before there is one to Waldorf.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Waldorf will not be getting a Metro line, it simply won't extend that far south on the MD side. Neither will MARC. There is no current viable MARC line South of Rt 50 in PG County. Where would the MARC line connect and enter DC from? I could see MARC to Annapolis as more viable and actually more probable of an extension.

Waldorf at best can hope for a decent BRT line with a number of smaller stops and much lower cost stations along the way in Brandywine and Clinton. It would be extremely easy to just start paving down the median of the road right away, and setup a few bus terminals between Waldorf and Branch Avenue station.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Waldorf will not be getting a Metro line, it simply won't extend that far south on the MD side. Neither will MARC. There is no current viable MARC line South of Rt 50 in PG County. Where would the MARC line connect and enter DC from? I could see MARC to Annapolis as more viable and actually more probable of an extension.
It wouldn't have to necessarily connect to DC. I was thinking of a spur from New Carrolton station. It's a lot cheaper to lay down railroad tracks than Metro tracks which require third rails, constant electrical currents, fencing, etc. etc. But my main point is, Metro is not going out to Waldorf in our lifetime. But I could see some other form of mass transit. Right now, DC to BWI to Baltimore is the main focus in Maryland apparently with Maglev and the Hyperloop. Not to mention the Purple Line and Baltimore that still needs a Red Line.

I forgot about BRT. BRT could work with express BRT vehicles arriving every 10 minutes during peak times.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:57 AM

64 posts, read 59,522 times
What PGC needs is its own transportation system. Specifically dedicated BRT or light rail lines that run along the major roads and end at metro stations. Route 5 Naylor Road metro down to Waldorf. 202 from Upper Marlboro to Bladensburg shopping center with a stop at Landover metro station. 450 from Bowie to Bladensburg will connect with purple line station at 410. 193 all the way to Watkins park with a stop in Langley park purple line station. There could be others as well, like Indian head and Penn ave. And we need to concentrate density among these lines.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:24 AM

196 posts, read 205,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I realize most of these are unlikely to happen, but I think some of them could. Which do you think is the most likely, which would you want to see the most?

I would probably add a line from Eisenhower/Huntington metro to National Harbor over Woodrow Wilson Bridge on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland