Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM

13 posts, read 16,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So you have no interest in "diversity"?
Not every black person/family is interested in "diversity" as it relates to their community. PG County is overwhelmingly a Black community, will be for a time, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's also true that the county is slowly trending towards a more diverse population (which includes other people of color who aren't white) as Northern and some parts of Central PG County undergo a transformation.

There are countless examples of why diverse communities (meaning a more equal divide among defined races and culture) doesn't always result in a better living situation for Black people, so no need to crap up the thread with a subtle nudge that the OP is misguided for looking for an area where Black people and culture reside in a substantial way. Regardless, the DMV, while very much in the suburbs segregated in terms of racial divide depending on where you live, is relatively close together and the general area can absolutely be coined a diverse area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 AM

47 posts, read 56,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So you have no interest in "diversity"?
Did you miss the post where the OP says "I’m looking for a Family friendly safe diverse community. When I say diverse more exposure to African and Caribbean groups alongside AA’s and any other ethnic group"?

Or did you ignore that post because it does not fit the troll attempt you were going for?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by base_two View Post
Not every black person/family is interested in "diversity" as it relates to their community. PG County is overwhelmingly a Black community, will be for a time, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's also true that the county is slowly trending towards a more diverse population (which includes other people of color who aren't white) as Northern and some parts of Central PG County undergo a transformation.

There are countless examples of why diverse communities (meaning a more equal divide among defined races and culture) doesn't always result in a better living situation for Black people, so no need to crap up the thread with a subtle nudge that the OP is misguided for looking for an area where Black people and culture reside in a substantial way. Regardless, the DMV, while very much in the suburbs segregated in terms of racial divide depending on where you live, is relatively close together and the general area can absolutely be coined a diverse area.
Even parts of southern PG are showing upticks in diversity mostly in western Fort Washington and Oxon Hill.I suspect it will pick up even more once Target(and hopefully other stores too) opens in Rivertowne Commons which. The stretch on Oxon Hill Road from Home Depot to Top Golf will look completely different in 5 or so years.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 AM

163 posts, read 268,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
And regarding diversity, PG County schools are among the least diverse in the region. 96% minority, 4% white. If not going to school with white people is your thing, so be it. But diversity works both ways, and there's nothing diverse about PGCS.
The OP stated they want to live around black people and your response is to randomly point out the schools in PG are mostly black? OK.

Also, with the magic of transportation, lots of my childhood associates lived in PG but went to mostly white private schools in DC, Montgomery County, and Northern Virginia. Just because you live in a black area doesn't mean you can can only go to school amongst black people.

Last edited by Enyo; 06-07-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM

833 posts, read 520,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
The OP stated they want to live around black people and your response is to randomly point out the schools in PG are mostly black? OK.

Also, with the magic of transportation, lots of my childhood associates lived in PG but went to mostly white private schools in DC, Montgomery County, and Northern Virginia. Just because you live in a black area doesn't mean you can can only go to school amongst black people.
I guess when someone says "and any other ethnic group," you are predisposed to think that that totally excludes white people? Awesome. Speaks volumes about your perspective.

And you just totally undercut your own argument by pointing out that lots of your friends went to **PRIVATE** schools in another county. There can be no argument that PG county schools are good when people are literally paying to go elsewhere. Which is 100% true.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I guess when someone says "and any other ethnic group," you are predisposed to think that that totally excludes white people? Awesome. Speaks volumes about your perspective.
I didn't say that. You're thinking of another forum member. I guess all blacks type alike?

Quote:
And you just totally undercut your own argument by pointing out that lots of your friends went to **PRIVATE** schools in another county. There can be no argument that PG county schools are good when people are literally paying to go elsewhere. Which is 100% true.
You may see it as an undercut because you assume people only go to private schools for academics. If you look at the exclusive private schools in DC alone (Cathedral, Maret, Sidwell, Gonzaga, Visitation, Gtown day, St. Albans, etc.) a massive amount of their student population commute from suburbs with high performing school systems such as Montgomery County or Northern Virginia. And then there are the plethora of private schools directly located in the same high performing school districts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ashington,_D.C.

Clearly, private schools exist to do more than provide alternatives to a weak public school system. Some parents are religious and want a faith-based environment for their kids. Smaller student/teach ratio, language immersion programs, specific educational methods and approaches (like Montessori or Waldorf), national origin, family tradition, culture, and networking opportunities all play a role. And, to be blunt, a lot of it is pure classicism and/or racism.

Just admit you don't believe PG county schools have anything whatsoever to offer. It's easier than trying to insist people are making claims that the schools systems are great. No one said that. The fact that I'm urging the OP to supplement education and utilize specialty programs is direct evidence against your insistence that I think PG county schools are "awesome". It's just what you're choosing to hear in order to suit your narrative.

Last edited by Enyo; 06-07-2019 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Fixed quotes

Old 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Given the blended nature of the DMV area kids crossing county/state/district lines to go to a private school is not something exclusive to PG county and happens quite often to kids from all counties. The % of kids leaving the county for private school is probably a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

We all agree that the system needs work but there are gems out there.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:52 PM

833 posts, read 520,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I didn't say that. You're thinking of another forum member. I guess all blacks type alike?

You may see it as an undercut because you assume people only go to private schools for academics. If you look at the exclusive private schools in DC alone (Cathedral, Maret, Sidwell, Gonzaga, Visitation, Gtown day, St. Albans, etc.) a massive amount of their student population commute from suburbs with high performing school systems such as Montgomery County or Northern Virginia. And then there are the plethora of private schools directly located in the same high performing school districts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ashington,_D.C.

Clearly, private schools exist to do more than provide alternatives to a weak public school system. Some parents are religious and want a faith-based environment for their kids. Smaller student/teach ratio, language immersion programs, specific educational methods and approaches (like Montessori or Waldorf), national origin, family tradition, culture, and networking opportunities all play a role. And, to be blunt, a lot of it is pure classicism and/or racism.

Just admit you don't believe PG county schools have anything whatsoever to offer. It's easier than trying to insist people are making claims that the schools systems are great. No one said that. The fact that I'm urging the OP to supplement education and utilize specialty programs is direct evidence against your insistence that I think PG county schools are "awesome". It's just what you're choosing to hear in order to suit your narrative.
The upside to this conversation is that the OP will see that there are cheerleaders for PG - no matter the reality - and there are those who are willing to express an alternative viewpoint. The even better news is that the internet is filled with ratings, reviews, studies, statistics, etc. that definitively prove that PG has far more challenges than the rosy picture you and others have provided. If the OP doesn't have tunnel vision, he/she will soon find that there are many things to consider when moving to PG.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoove86 View Post
Given the blended nature of the DMV area kids crossing county/state/district lines to go to a private school is not something exclusive to PG county and happens quite often to kids from all counties.
Hah, I love that we said the exact same thing about private school musical chairs at the exact same time.

Quote:
The upside to this conversation is that the OP will see that there are cheerleaders for PG - no matter the reality - and there are those who are willing to express an alternative viewpoint. The even better news is that the internet is filled with ratings, reviews, studies, statistics, etc. that definitively prove that PG has far more challenges than the rosy picture you and others have provided. If the OP doesn't have tunnel vision, he/she will soon find that there are many things to consider when moving to PG.

Yes, of course. Someone doesn't need to have any connection or actual experience with a place in order to give their opinions about it. Hey, at least you were transparent enough to admit you aren't black or from PG. I'm assuming you don't live there, either, and never have at any point. Some people would have tried to hide that fact knowing their opinion might not be taken as seriously as someone like me or the other forum members that are black and/or have direct experience with PGC including the school system.

Social and psychological benefits of black children being raised in a place like PG county aren't going to end up in studies and statistics for two main reasons. The first is because it's difficult to quantify. How do you calculate things like self-assurance? Positive self-image? Strong understanding of one's history and culture? A strong foundation so black children can succeed in a country that doesn't value them?

The second reason is because non-black people don't care as it's not applicable to them. And because it's not applicable to them, they don't value it. And because they don't value it, they're not going to even consider such things to be a major factor...even when they are talking to a black person who wants to live amongst other blacks. Relying solely on reviews, ratings, and statistics may be enough for non-blacks moving to PG. But not for black people whose main draw is all of the non-quantifiable benefits I mentioned above.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 AM

12 posts, read 17,052 times
What is quantifiable is the amount of money that is taken in by property taxes, and then seems to not result in good school facilities, good playgrounds, parks that are kept up, or anything on par with what you find across the river.

Oh, but we have a thousand developers seeming to get whatever the hell they want. Keep building those Ryan Homes everywhere, we'll just keep enduring the fatalities on the overcrowded roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland