Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Forced Busing View Post
If you do come back don't be suprised the first time you go to a 7-11 and you have to walk thru 100 illegal aliens to get in and out of the place.
Are you talking about the northwestern part of the county (Langley Park, Hyattsville, Adelphi, etc)? That's the only part of the county that I can think of that has had an issue with illegal immigrants. For the most part, PG hasn't really experienced an influx of illegal immigrants like parts of Montgomery County or northern VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 52,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
Are you talking about the northwestern part of the county (Langley Park, Hyattsville, Adelphi, etc)? That's the only part of the county that I can think of that has had an issue with illegal immigrants. For the most part, PG hasn't really experienced an influx of illegal immigrants like parts of Montgomery County or northern VA.
You are right. PG County has had such a bad image for so long. The illegal immigrants have largely infiltrated Montgomery county along with Arlington and other parts of Northern Virginia. For every one illegal immigrant in PG I would bet there is at least two in MC and NV.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 71,025 times
I lived in PG count for 15 yrs and never had a problem, it has it good parts and bad part just like any other place

Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM

16 posts, read 91,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons View Post
If by desirable you mean:

- Easy access to DC and Baltimore
- Good range of home prices and affordable apartments
- Hosts a major state university system, Redskins stadium, and many major employers

Then by all means check it out.

But, if you are looking for:

- Low crime
- Good schools
- Good shopping
- Lack of traffic

Then be sure to look elsewhere.

I grew up in Laurel and went to school in Greenbelt, Glenarden, and Landover, so I know most of the northern half of PG county. I don't like it there but it's not as bad as the folks from Montgomery and Howard Counties make it sound.
Sounds like you nailed it.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,269 times
Default PG County

I agree with the majority. The crime is ridiculous, the schools are horrible and did anyone mention traffic? I hope nobody has to travel on the major HWY's between 7-9AM and 3-6PM. it is crazy. It does have its' good spots but who can afford to buy in those places? They have signs up "affordable townhomes from the mid $500"s" like that's affordable for most 2 part working homes. I am single and make a decent income and the only place I can get is a fixer upper or a condo in lord knows what neighborhood.
My sister lives in Suitland and her car was broken into twice in broad daylight. The police are so nonchalant they act as if they'd rather be doing something else. And if you have kids, I hope you have money for private school. As an PG County alum, I had to deal with kids bringing weapons to school, a girl got beat and killed out behind the school, and good teachers quitting from student treatment. And I was an honor/AP student. I'd look for a more quiet down area away from maryland.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I also lived in Prince Georges County. Things have improved somewhat. Yes many upper middle class blacks have moved in but the services that come with it haven't. Why have the Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Barney's, Tiffany's and Crate & Barrels skipped over Prince Georges County? Why no nice restaurants like B. Smiths, Palomino's, Morton's or even a dang Cheescake Factory. That complex where the Capital Center use to be is a total joke. Payless Shoes, Magic Johnson Movies, a wig shop and a Golden Corral? Please!! Yeah restaurants have come to the county but county residents deserve more than Apple Bee's, the Golden Corral and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 AM

217 posts, read 752,163 times
Exclamation telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I also lived in Prince Georges County. Things have improved somewhat. Yes many upper middle class blacks have moved in but the services that come with it haven't. Why have the Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Barney's, Tiffany's and Crate & Barrels skipped over Prince Georges County? Why no nice restaurants like B. Smiths, Palomino's, Morton's or even a dang Cheescake Factory. That complex where the Capital Center use to be is a total joke. Payless Shoes, Magic Johnson Movies, a wig shop and a Golden Corral? Please!! Yeah restaurants have come to the county but county residents deserve more than Apple Bee's, the Golden Corral and Kentucky Fried Chicken.
everyone is replying in politically correct terms. restaurants are not a reality here and neither are worthwhile grocery stores. giant and safeway will rob you. shoppers food warehouse has become a joke and the few food lions are obscure and wierd. a whopping 20 miles away over the state line into virginia they enjoy store such as harris-teeter and trader joe's. we might as well shop at 7-11.
the reason the country is known for being "the most affluent black county in the usa" is because this is a black majority population county. if the population were majority white, hispanic or asian in population that claim to fame would vanish.
as far as the other stores listed above - ha! the idiot residents of this county allow their children and friends to rob and steal from stores and each other just like the video footage of the looting in NO after katrina. when a gas station is forced to put up bullet proof glass to continue doing business it has gone too far. i would wager a bet that every 7-11 and gas station has been robbed in the temple hills area. i will add some banks and liquor stores to that list. auto theft is the number one crime in PG county and the PG county police handle those reports over the phone as they are supposedly too busy to actually show up in person. i rarely see a police cruiser come through here on a regular basis, our tax dollars are proof they should.
all of the "nice" neighborhoods are not free from crime as anything that is not attached permanently will disappear from a yard or any open door.
why paint a nice picture of the badlands? my friends in VA won't come over here.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
I recently moved to PG county from Historic Takoma Park Washington Dc near Walter Reed uptown Dc. I moved because of the crime. In 2 yrs my house got boken in to twice. My husband car got broken into once. I got tires of us getting robbed. We decided we need to get out of washington dc.

We moved to Upper Marlboro pg county and love it. My neighbors are so nice we all get along. We all look out for each other. All the kids play with each other. My community is a brand new community. Yes all most everyone in my community are African American, my community is mix with blacks and white but mostly blacks.

I cannot speak for the entire Pg county but what we need to understand is that no state, county or neighborhood is free of crime. My community have nothing but blacks that have class, very professinal, well educated people who can afford a home over $500,000 and we buy these expensive homes because we are proof that blacks can live together and live the life we have all dream about the golf course, Gated in Community we have the works not only whites are living the liestyle of the rich and good communtiy.

I had a plumber came to my house and he made the most racist remarks ever. He said to me is this a white community and said to him no their is only 2-5 white familyies in the community and I guess most people think blacks live in the black neighborhood and we cannot live in a expensive community with big houses.

I am sorry for going on but I am tired of people talking about the entire county as a whole because we have mostly blacks living in the county. Montgomery county crime rate is high their are mostly MS13 in Montgomery county,hispanics and high crime are all over montgomery county. Gaithersburg, Majorityof SIlver spring. SO why aren't we making a big deal of montgomery county and thier high crime or washington dc

Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I recently moved to PG county from Historic Takoma Park Washington Dc near Walter Reed uptown Dc. I moved because of the crime. In 2 yrs my house got boken in to twice. My husband car got broken into once. I got tires of us getting robbed. We decided we need to get out of washington dc.

We moved to Upper Marlboro pg county and love it. My neighbors are so nice we all get along. We all look out for each other. All the kids play with each other. My community is a brand new community. Yes all most everyone in my community are African American, my community is mix with blacks and white but mostly blacks.

I cannot speak for the entire Pg county but what we need to understand is that no state, county or neighborhood is free of crime. My community have nothing but blacks that have class, very professinal, well educated people who can afford a home over $500,000 and we buy these expensive homes because we are proof that blacks can live together and live the life we have all dream about the golf course, Gated in Community we have the works not only whites are living the liestyle of the rich and good communtiy.

I had a plumber came to my house and he made the most racist remarks ever. He said to me is this a white community and said to him no their is only 2-5 white familyies in the community and I guess most people think blacks live in the black neighborhood and we cannot live in a expensive community with big houses.

I am sorry for going on but I am tired of people talking about the entire county as a whole because we have mostly blacks living in the county. Montgomery county crime rate is high their are mostly MS13 in Montgomery county,hispanics and high crime are all over montgomery county. Gaithersburg, Majorityof SIlver spring. SO why aren't we making a big deal of montgomery county and thier high crime or washington dc
b/c mont co. ain't mostly black. i rarely see mont co. on the news for crimes that do happen there, but as soon as there is a robbery in pg 5 o clock news.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM

135 posts, read 606,027 times
Langley Park in PG has the HIGHEST concentration of 13 as reported by the Washington Post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland