Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 03:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times

Advertisements

I own a Pit mix and recently changed my homeowners policy and live in Virginia. I was stunned that they charge more based on these breeds along with GS, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 04:01 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I own a Pit mix and recently changed my homeowners policy and live in Virginia. I was stunned that they charge more based on these breeds along with GS, etc.
That's been common now for a couple decades in some places.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:44 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Am wondering how anyone proves your dog is one of those breeds. You could do a DNA test yourself then claim a mix of anything else that shows up. I see some bully looking rescue dogs described as boxer mixes even now.

Longtime dog owner’s know it’s the training not the breed itself that determines dog behavior.
Yeh, no.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Agreed. But the correlating factor is the PEOPLE who gravitate to so many of these breeds ...
and then want/need to house them in the small yards of tightly packed homes.

Out on some horse farm in the country? A whole other discussion.

No it's not. A person I know had a Rot and when his son's friend came over the dog attacked him. The kids were no where near the dog on five acres the dog got loose and chased the child down. Considering the size of the dog the child wasn't too bad but the dog was put down and the law suit was pretty ugly.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's been common now for a couple decades in some places.
Some won't cover them at all.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:21 PM

156 posts, read 304,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
VERY. Even for rent houses with fenced yards. Just like in GA and AL and with Base Housing.
Many of these breeds are dis-allowed even for owners . See the list LINK
This isn't true. There are plenty of rentals available in GA and AL that don't ban aggressive breeds. I can link many examples if you'd like proof.

Also, they currently live in base housing with the GSD and pittie mix lol. They ((say)) those breeds are banned, but no one enforces it.

I totally agree that they should rent. I would be open to fostering the pittie, but my daughter and the dog would be SO depressed to be separated. It would be an absolute last resort.

Last edited by autiger92; 01-24-2023 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-24-2023, 06:43 PM

This is not the thread to discuss whether or not certain breeds should be allowed to live/exist--anywhere. I understand why the ban is in place, and don't even disagree with it! It's also not a thread about homeowner's insurance.

Please and thank you.

I appreciate the on topic suggestions. I mentioned those areas to my daughter.

Interestingly, PG County Animal Control has LOTS of aggressive breeds up for adoption. Do they not adopt out to their own residents? Presa Canario "mix"? American Bulldog "mix"? I'm not being snarky--I am sincerely asking. This is why I really don't want the "very anti pittie" folks to comment. The "very anti pittie" crowd will always, always say it's impossible. It's never done. Look elsewhere. Don't even think about it.

I'm not buying it. Just like the supposed breed ban on base housing.

I feel like I get a lot of mixed messages. We did when we were looking for housing around UMD, and we are now, too.

RE the other counties: My daughter has checked listings in Crofton and says that area is even more expensive than Bowie. And that might be the community she said is almost all townhouses. They are looking for detached single family housing--to buy or rent.

Last edited by autiger92; 01-24-2023 at 08:02 PM..

Old 01-24-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The pretty clear answer is to just look in neighboring counties to buy or rent, no? Upper Marlboro is right next to Anne Arundel County. Laurel is right next to Howard, Montgomery, and Anne Arundel counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Yep...not sure why the OP has to look at PG County only...just go across Patuxent (from Bowie) into areas like Crofton or Odenton...
I mentioned these communities in my comment above. Should have tagged y'all in that comment. PG County is so big that much farther out from that, the commute becomes undoable to Arlington.

I think the biggest frustration is not with the Pit ban. It's with the pricing. Where do they go on an Army officer's salary. She will be in school full time for another year and few months. I think they should rent. That's why I brought up the pit ban.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:57 PM

Tried to edit my OP but it's too late.

Basically, If you or someone you know can help us locate a rental, private message me.

If you know of a real estate agent who won't treat these intelligent young adults like idiots, private message me.

Last edited by autiger92; 01-24-2023 at 07:09 PM..

Old 01-24-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I gotta be honest. I don't understand how young married couples live in these places. I did a 'Zoom" tour of a home in Bowie with their realtor today, and it's pretty depressing. I mean... Bowie seems fine and nice. The house was fine. It's the cost. The taxes. The realtor keeps telling them that they have to offer asking price--even if the property has been on the market since November??! I call BS on that. The realtor is telling them they won't be taken seriously if they try to offer less. Just makes my BS meter alarms go off all over the place. I don't want them to be taken advantage of because they are young, first time home buyers.

Quoting myself for context.

Any thoughts on their agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland