Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:41 AM

156 posts, read 304,635 times

Advertisements

My daughter and her husband are relocating to the D.C. area in May from Fort Benning, GA. He will be working with The Old Guard. She is in grad school and will be doing an externship in Annapolis.

They are looking at Bowie. Upper Marlboro. Possibly Laurel. No children. 2 dogs--"aggressive breed".

I gotta be honest. I don't understand how young married couples live in these places. I did a 'Zoom" tour of a home in Bowie with their realtor today, and it's pretty depressing. I mean... Bowie seems fine and nice. The house was fine. It's the cost. The taxes. The realtor keeps telling them that they have to offer asking price--even if the property has been on the market since November??! I call BS on that. The realtor is telling them they won't be taken seriously if they try to offer less. Just makes my BS meter alarms go off all over the place. I don't want them to be taken advantage of because they are young, first time home buyers.

I think they need to rent, but they have a pit bull and a GSD. How strict are apartments and landlords about bully breeds? Ideally, they need a house with a yard for the dogs. The pittie mix is an "old man". Sweet as can be. The GSD is young and needs the exercise.

My daughter was actually accepted to grad school at UMD in 2020, and she declined. One of the reasons was the pit bull ban in PG county. (That and it was at the beginning of the pandemic with all the uncertainty of that.)

Now it's a done deal. Great opportunity for both of them. I'm just trying to help them out a bit with finding housing. Respectful recommendations will be greatly appreciated. My son in law grew up outside of Philadelphia, but he isn't very familiar with the D.C. area.

Please do not reply if you hate bully breed dogs. I don't judge people for hating on them, I see you and hear it plenty. I understand, but getting rid of the dogs is not on the table. They are very responsible owners. My daughter has been very involved in dog rescue here in the SE. She nursed this abused, neglected dog back to health from near death. She has done this for many dogs, actually. This boy she couldn't give up. We all love him dearly.

Thank you in advance for any helpful tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 04:29 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post
How strict are (the insurance companies used by responsible) landlords about bully breeds?
VERY. Even for rent houses with fenced yards. Just like in GA and AL and with Base Housing.
Many of these breeds are dis-allowed even for owners . See the list LINK

Quote:
My daughter and her husband are relocating to the D.C. area in May from Fort Benning, GA.
He will be working with The Old Guard.
She is in grad school and will be doing an externship in Annapolis.
They are looking at Bowie. Upper Marlboro. Possibly Laurel. No children.

I think they need to rent, but they have a pit bull and a GSD.
They'll want to rent, at least the first year, regardless of everything else in the equation.
Even if a friend or relative (hint!) agrees to foster the dogs in GA or AL for that while.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-23-2023 at 04:40 AM..

Old 01-23-2023, 09:42 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
The pretty clear answer is to just look in neighboring counties to buy or rent, no? Upper Marlboro is right next to Anne Arundel County. Laurel is right next to Howard, Montgomery, and Anne Arundel counties.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:25 PM

1,204 posts, read 797,957 times
Yep...not sure why the OP has to look at PG County only...just go across Patuxent (from Bowie) into areas like Crofton or Odenton...

Old 01-24-2023, 02:51 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
So you think PG county is more expensive then Anne Arundel or Montgomery Counties??? AS for the towns more and more are banning Pits, Rots and Dobermans.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:50 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Am wondering how anyone proves your dog is one of those breeds. You could do a DNA test yourself then claim a mix of anything else that shows up. I see some bully looking rescue dogs described as boxer mixes even now.

Longtime dog owner’s know it’s the training not the breed itself that determines dog behavior.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:43 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Am wondering how anyone proves your dog is one of those breeds. You could do a DNA test yourself then claim a mix of anything else that shows up. I see some bully looking rescue dogs described as boxer mixes even now.

[b]Longtime dog owner’s know it’s the training not the breed itself that determines dog behavior.[/B
Until it isn't.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:47 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Longtime dog owner’s know it’s the training not the breed itself that determines dog behavior.
Agreed. But the correlating factor is the PEOPLE who gravitate to so many of these breeds ...
and then want/need to house them in the small yards of tightly packed homes.

Out on some horse farm in the country? A whole other discussion.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:56 PM

7,023 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Agreed. But the correlating factor is the PEOPLE who gravitate to so many of these breeds ...

Out on some horse farm in the country? A whole other discussion.
I've opposed breed bans on this site before, so let me put that on the record.

The undeniable thing about dogs like Pit Bulls is that if they do bite, it is going to be a much more traumatic injury than getting mauled by a toy poodle. They are just bigger, stronger dogs, who when motivated to bite people can cause massive injuries and death.

There is saying that every dog "gets one free bite" but when that bite is from dog with strong and massive jaws, it's hard to say the bite is "free" to the person on the receiving end.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:15 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Out on some horse farm in the country? A whole other discussion
Yes and no. Southern Maryland has had numerous dog maulings, some fatal others not, over the years. Most of them were by pit bulls.

One particular one almost thirty years ago when an eight year old was pulled off his bike and killed forced Calvert County to get serious about the packs of dogs that roamed the County then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland