Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 12,283 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are looking to relocate semi-permanently in the DC metro area, we've lived in several areas of DC itself ranging from Palisades, Columbia Heights, Penn Qtr to Dupont over the past 3 yrs. However, prices are sending us outside the city for the square footage we would really need. We now have a daughter who is just about to turn 1 and plan to live in the area for approx 5 yrs give or take... we really like the Arts District in Hyattsville MD but the surrounding area really concerns me. I don't know much about it or MD in general but it seems a bit scetchy & full of lets say undesireables. This area is supposedly in transition & I've heard is on the rise, I'm just not seeing it. Does anyone have any info on Hyattsville or thoughts on the area where the Arts District is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
The gentrification of Hyattsville has been a slow work in progress for nearly 20 years. I believe the economic downturn will further slow it down, nonetheless the improvement in the community is quite visible. I believe Hyattsville has its own police force; plus PG Cty police maintains a station there. DC is accessible by Metro and MARC. There was a plan for a full service YMCA in the Arts District. I'm not sure about the status of that plan. Basically, it's urban living at a substantially lessor cost. Overall, I feel quite safe when I'm in Hyattsville. Public schools are questionable, but there's a private Quaker school called Friends Community School nearby:

Friends Community School

Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The gentrification of Hyattsville has been a slow work in progress for nearly 20 years. I believe the economic downturn will further slow it down, nonetheless the improvement in the community is quite visible. I believe Hyattsville has its own police force; plus PG Cty police maintains a station there. DC is accessible by Metro and MARC. There was a plan for a full service YMCA in the Arts District. I'm not sure about the status of that plan. Basically, it's urban living at a substantially lessor cost. Overall, I feel quite safe when I'm in Hyattsville. Public schools are questionable, but there's a private Quaker school called Friends Community School nearby:

Friends Community School
As well as Dematha High, and you are in short proximity to University of Maryland, College Park. They are supposed to as well create a new shopping center near Prince George's Plaza Mall, and if I am not mistaken, a Soccer Stadium for DC united is currently in "negotiation" for that area or Greenbelt, so you might be in a good position to buy in cheap. You also have some older communties in that area that are nice, such as Brentwood and Colmar Manor, however you also have the bad side of Riverdale and Mount Rainier. If the price is right though, I would do it. Good Luck!!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 35,746 times
i lived in adelphi for a good minute not to far from hyattsville by the Univ of MD. hyattsville would be a good investment. i mean u lived in dc, y be worried about whats in maryland.

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-14-2008 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: language

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 18,298 times
I just wrote a bit about my one year experience in Hyattsville (about three years ago). See the thread titled "need info about Hyatssville " (sic)

It wouldn't be my first, second or third choice. PG county wouldn't be my choice ever.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM

269 posts, read 1,002,360 times
I moved to Brentwood, just next door to Hyattsville, in 2006 and from what I can see this area has greatly improved in just a short time frame. They've built it up around PG Plaza Mall, there are new apartments now (The Mosaic at the Metro) right beside the metro, and condos next to the Mall. That commercial strip is really great, all the stores/shops that you need.

Arts District is coming up nicely but aren't a lot of newer retail establishments there yet, but it's nice and I LOVE that diner FRANKLINS, great delicious food for good prices. All in all, I like this area, but it's not as residential and "suburban" as Upper Marlboro where I currently live, and the gentrification process has at least another 5-10yrs to go before the community will resemble some of those near metro stations in Fairfax/Montgomery/The District.

My advice, GO FOR IT, now is the time to buy, and if things don't work out you can always move on in 5+ years of so and probably retain your investment. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM

44 posts, read 130,468 times
I do not know but I've felt safe in Hyattsville. Would I raise kids there.. probably if I could have afforded the Friends school. It was not meant to be--we moved but if you are used to living in the DC area especially Brookland--no difference really from what I recall. Miss the people there

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,365 times
I'd like to know what qualifies the people as "undesirable." As someone who lives on Jefferson Street, and has lived here for the past 20 years, I take an incredible amount of offense to the comment. The Arts District is ruining what used to be a very nice, quiet, suburban neighborhood if you ask me and most other people who have been in the area for years.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAdams1957 View Post
I'd like to know what qualifies the people as "undesirable." As someone who lives on Jefferson Street, and has lived here for the past 20 years, I take an incredible amount of offense to the comment. The Arts District is ruining what used to be a very nice, quiet, suburban neighborhood if you ask me and most other people who have been in the area for years.
You know what they mean when they say "undesirables." Its a PC way of stating what they want to say.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAdams1957 View Post
Interesting, you are the first person I've heard say this. What do you think is wrong with the development?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland