Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:31 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times

Advertisements

If you are communiting from Russett to Columbia, you will be going the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. Morning traffic goes south towards DC and vice versa in the evening. You are only going two exits up 295. I think you will have a nice easy commute. The intersection going into Russett is not as bad as mentioned. When you come off of 295, you only have to merge to the right into the development and not wait for a light. When you leave in the morning, the shopping isn't open yet and even when it is, I have never sat at that light for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Laurel is very diverse in its community make-up. From one block to another you can have a totally different demographic. Beautiful new developments next to crappy 70s garden apartments. All in all though, I think you'll be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM

73 posts, read 515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
If you are communiting from Russett to Columbia, you will be going the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. Morning traffic goes south towards DC and vice versa in the evening. You are only going two exits up 295. I think you will have a nice easy commute. The intersection going into Russett is not as bad as mentioned. When you come off of 295, you only have to merge to the right into the development and not wait for a light. When you leave in the morning, the shopping isn't open yet and even when it is, I have never sat at that light for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Laurel is very diverse in its community make-up. From one block to another you can have a totally different demographic. Beautiful new developments next to crappy 70s garden apartments. All in all though, I think you'll be OK.
Thanks for your insight. I still can't make up my mind if I want to pay for the premium of living "in" Columbia or just get a "slightly" nicer place in say Russett or something similar that's 5-8 miles away.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 AM

176 posts, read 278,652 times
You`ll be good in Laurel. As the above posted stated it is very diverse and has different demographics. You won`t have a problem with traffic as you will be going in the opposite direction and there`s never traffice goign in the opposite direction o nthe parkway. I have friends taht live there and from what I have been seeing for the past three years it`s a real decent communtiy. You can run, jog, cycle swim, shop, dinner you migth have to go to route 1 where there are ample and plenty of restaurants. Waht else do you want to know. Crime is low unless your talkign about petty crime and which city doesn`t have that?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM

103 posts, read 537,964 times
I've lived in Russett for 4 1/2 years and like it a lot. My husband used to commute to Columbia (right by the Columbia mall) and it would take him 18 minutes. The traffic light by Wal-Mart isn't bad except on weekends, when it might take 2 or 3 lights to get through. Russett Green is horseshoe shaped, though, so you can always exit out the other way and avoid that back up. The community itself is quite nice -- lots of trails, parks, plus the pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. I also like the convenience -- like you said, right near lots of good stores, but then also not a bad drive to Annapolis or to Baltimore/DC on weekends. Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM

103 posts, read 537,964 times
Oh yes, and crime is low here. It's very safe -- you often see people walking/running even towards dusk.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Yeah you can't go wrong with either area...I would take Laurel and pocket the difference. Plus, seriousily whats traffic congestion compared to going from Laurel to DC or Nova. Your going to Columbia and that ain't bad at all...

Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 AM

73 posts, read 515,306 times
Sounds good guys, thanks for your input. It's definitely on my list of places to consider I also love how most places in Russett are pretty new, I am looking for a newish place so I don't have to worry about maintenance nearly as much as some of the older (80s) places around Columbia.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM

17 posts, read 92,857 times
I have lived in russett for about 4 years now and my wife and I are around your age. We like russett a lot. Russett is as safe and conveinent as many parts of columbia while being cheaper. Howard county and Columbia in general have tons of snob appeal that is completely undeserved. They have as much or more traffic issues than russett/laurel. Without exaggeration a 30 yr old single wide trailer located in columbia or howard county would probably cost about 200K to buy.

I had a client off columbia gateway drive at one point and it was about a 15 min commute so I would actually come home for my lunch hour. There are far, far worse commutes to have in the baltimore washington area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland