Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 PM

67 posts, read 334,894 times

Advertisements

I'm not getting a great response from my other thread so I decided to change the title...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonar1 View Post
I'm not getting a great response from my other thread so I decided to change the title...
You only have a few choices in Ft. Wash/Clinton/Oxon Hill. Here is my quick and dirty synopsis:

Elementary:

Best-Fort Washington Forest, Potomac Landing, Ferguson

Worst- clinton grove, Francis T. evans, Avalon, Apple Grove, Flintstone

Middle School:

Best- Gwynn Park Middle, Burroughs, Oxon Hill

Worst: Lord Baltimore (now known as Issac Gourdine), Stephen Decatur

High School:

Best: Oxon Hill, Friendly, Gwynn Park (in that order)

Worst: Crossland, Surrattsville

Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM

67 posts, read 334,894 times
But aren't you still confined to the school based on the address of your residence? Or can you actually choose between these? Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonar1 View Post
But aren't you still confined to the school based on the address of your residence? Or can you actually choose between these? Thanks for the reply.
For elementary and maybe middle school also, you can apply for a transfer based on babysitter (aftercare) location. The principal can approve it based on space at the receiving school. The babysitter has to be within the boundaries of the receiving school. Check the school system website for more information.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
If you have a Ft. Washington address you'll probably be in the Friendly area. Middle schools would be Gourdine, Oxon Hill and maybe Decatur.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
I think in this day and age, we almost need to find the schools we like first and then look for houses in that boundary! When decided to have children (almost seven years ago) but knew we wanted to stay in the College Park/Hyattsville/Greenbelt area we looked for the best elementary schools for our family and focused our search there. Seems kind of backwards, sometimes though :-)

Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 AM

220 posts, read 704,159 times

If you have a Fort Washington address than the only high school thats in the zone is Friendly HS

Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,858 times
Hundreds of Md. graduates use test waivers | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Hundreds-of-Md_-graduates-use-test-waivers-8284466-60774522.html - broken link)

Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,835 times
I am on the border of Oxon Hill and Ft. Washington and live inbetween Oxon Hill Elementary and Oxon Hill High. Any info on Oxon Hill Elementary? I'm not a newcomer but am expecting my first child and starting to pay attention to the local schools for the first time. Oxon Hill Elementary is also across the street from private St. Columba Catholic. Some reviews I saw online of Oxon Hill Elem. were not very complimentary so I've been wondering about that.

John Hanson Montessori (Oxon Hill Road) is a public school and seems to get high reviews on the school rating sites I have looked at...they have a regular track and a French Immersion track.

Other private options beyond the Catholic school I mentioned are Beddow School and Maryland International Day (spanish immersion)...both of which seem to be $8-$10k year.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 PM

99 posts, read 505,308 times
Default reviews correct

Those reviews you saw were absolutely correct. If for some reason you must live within the school boundaries go with a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland