Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,858 times

Advertisements

Why is PG's main hospital perpetually in financial distress and needs funds from the state to survive? Is it because of the large number of patients who don't have insurance? I can't see how PG or the state of Maryland can continue to prop up this hospital if it can't stay in the black, and I don't see a company buying this hospital just to lose money.

Where are PG residents going to get care in the county if Jack keeps letting hospital workers go?

washingtonpost.com

Jack won't dip into the rainy day fund to help bail out the hospital because it would cause the county's bond rating to fall off the cliff.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Why is PG's main hospital perpetually in financial distress and needs funds from the state to survive? Is it because of the large number of patients who don't have insurance? I can't see how PG or the state of Maryland can continue to prop up this hospital if it can't stay in the black, and I don't see a company buying this hospital just to lose money.

Where are PG residents going to get care in the county if Jack keeps letting hospital workers go?

washingtonpost.com

Jack won't dip into the rainy day fund to help bail out the hospital because it would cause the county's bond rating to fall off the cliff.
"Is it because of the large number of patients who don't have insurance?"
Yes

I can't see how PG or the state of Maryland can continue to prop up this hospital if it can't stay in the black, and I don't see a company buying this hospital just to lose money.
Well, there needs to be a hospital in that part of the county

Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yes

Well, there needs to be a hospital in that part of the county
It's not about need. It's about feasibility.

How can PG and the state of Maryland continue to throw money into a hole?

How can a business be run if it doesn't make money?

I don't have answers. Just wondering what PG folks think.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Well the hospital do have investors who are interest in buying the hospital. Hospitals in America are all facing financial hardship due to the economy. Here is a article which states the investor and buyer of the hospital.

Dimensions gaining support in quest to buy county hospitals

These two links will show that the State Of Maryland hospitals all having financial hardship. The country as a whole is in a depression so this is not only affecting Prince Georges county it is affecting all State/City/County in MD.
D.C., Maryland, Virginia Hospitals Feeling Effects of Economic Downturn - washingtonpost.com
Maryland's poorest face shorter hospital stays as cuts loom - Baltimore Business Journal:

Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Well the hospital do have investors who are interest in buying the hospital. Hospitals in America are all facing financial hardship due to the economy. Here is a article which states the investor and buyer of the hospital.

Dimensions gaining support in quest to buy county hospitals

These two links will show that the State Of Maryland hospitals all having financial hardship. The country as a whole is in a depression so this is not only affecting Prince Georges county it is affecting all State/City/County in MD.
D.C., Maryland, Virginia Hospitals Feeling Effects of Economic Downturn - washingtonpost.com
Maryland's poorest face shorter hospital stays as cuts loom - Baltimore Business Journal:
Seems like PG's hospital has been in a perpetual state of financial trouble though....seeking a buyout or an infusion from the state.

None of those other hospitals in the link have indicated that they are near bankrupt.

Prince George’s County hospital workers rally - Washington Business Journal:

Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 PM

408 posts, read 723,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
It's not about need. It's about feasibility.

How can PG and the state of Maryland continue to throw money into a hole?

How can a business be run if it doesn't make money?

I don't have answers. Just wondering what PG folks think.
it's in an area where you can't not have a hospital. but people are getting hip and are starting to go to Doctors over in greenbelt, soon Doctors will probably face the same financial hardships as PG community.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
it's in an area where you can't not have a hospital. but people are getting hip and are starting to go to Doctors over in greenbelt, soon Doctors will probably face the same financial hardships as PG community.
General doctors don't perform surgery though, and what about emergency room services? Is it scary for PG residents to not have accessible hospitals within the county?

Just like retail, most people in PG may have to leave the county for the best medical care.

PG hospital may still exist, but it will be a skeleton of a hospital.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 AM

I live in upper Marlboro and the hospital in southern Prince Georges is Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton which is 10 minutes from my house so the hospital in question is not the only and best medical care in Prince Georges county. We also have medical care in Bowie,Greenbelt,Clinton which is Southern Maryland which is a good hospital.
Prince Georges hospital is about 45 to 50 minutes from my home so I have no need to go to that hospital.

When I was living in Montgomery County I hated Washington Adventist Hospital. I think they offered poor care to the sick.

When I was living in DC I hated Howard University would never go there.

Now I am in Prince Georges I do not go to Prince Georges Hospital. I do think Prince Georges hospital do see a lot of poorer residents who might not have insurance.

The hospitals/medical care in Clinton/Greenbelt/Bowie are not in any type of financial problems because most of the residents either have insurance or have the money to pay out of pocket.

I have no reason to leave Prince Georges for any medical issues we have a wonderful hospital 10 mins from my home in Clinton in Prince Georges.

My son 3yrs old was very ill in August he had Pneumonia,Dehydration,Chest Infection and I took him to Southern Maryland hospital in Prince Georges and they took excellent care of my son. In 2 days he was running around as if nothing happened. I thank all of the doctors/nurses and everyone at the hospital was took such care of my son. When I walked in the hospital the front desk had a doctor to my son in 2 minutes he was in the emergency room with a doctor/nurses and other medical workers.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 AM

I remember when my son who is now 3yrs old was 2 wks old. I saw blood in his pampers due his circumcision done wrong by a doctor at Washington Adventist hospital in Montgomery County. I rushed to the hospital around 11 pm at night. The hospital was right by my home around 10 minutes. We waited until 3am for a doctor to see my 2 wk old son. I was crying and very upset. My son was crying and fussing and no doctor/nurse asked what was wrong with my son or why am I here. They just placed us in the back behind the curtain for 4 hrs.

I would never ever go to Washington Adventist hospital for any type of medical care. They treated my son like a check. My 2wk old son had blood in his pampers and their main concern was insurance and who will pay for it. There I was crying with a new born bleeding and they talking about money. I gave them the insurance card. I told them I just need a doctor but there was more paper work to fill out.

This is one of the reason I do love living in Upper Marlboro because the medical care in my area is very good they took care of my son and the staff is very loving They treated my son as if he was their child. They took taking care of my son personal and I loved them all at Southern Maryland Hospital in Prince Georges County.

I also would never go to Prince Georges Hospital as well as Washington Adventist in Montgomery County.

I do hate the fact that the poor gets poor service. The area around Washington Adventist in Montgomery County has plenty of poor so the service is poor same goes for Prince Georges Hospital.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I see the mods (didn't know we had any) removed my post, even though it wasn't an attack of any sort, and I don't have anything personally against livestrong. I just wanted to point out the futility of this thread and you have to admit that the question was loaded.

Anyway, Laurel Hospital is a Dimensions hospital in PG County and offers good service and isn't "struggling to survive."
I live in Laurel, so of course I go to Laurel Hospital. Most of my visits have been to the emergency room (two kids). I've always been seen fairly quickly and the place is not a mad house like so many other emergency rooms. They also sponsor many health programs (health fair, free screenings, smoking cessation, etc.) for the community. However, Laurel is a smaller hospital and mostly caters to the community of Laurel. PG Hospital caters to a larger area.

Both of my children were born at PG Hospital. I lived in Riverdale at the time. I had no problems either time and I felt that I received adequate care. First child, I had no insurance, second I did. I received the same quality of care both times. Of course, this was 18 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland