Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 141,610 times

Advertisements

I got a little card in the mail the other day saying that the post office has a certified letter for me to pick up, and apparently I have to sign for it in person. The sender is just listed as "Upper Marlboro", which seems odd since Upper Marlboro is just a small town in PG county, but it's also the seat of the PG county government. I live in PG county, but not in Upper Marlboro.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Red light or speeding camera ticket? Jury duty notice? I'm guessing I'm probably better off not signing for it since I can't imagine how this could be anything good, and if it were truly something important they would serve me in person anyway. I don't even necessarily know that this has anything to do with the county government, but I figure I'm better off just forgetting about it. I guess I've lived in MD long enough to expect bull**** fines and fees lurking around every corner. Any clues on what this might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
I am a letter carrier and I deliver lots of certified letters. Often letters that don't have a name or business for a return address but only a mailing address such as what you may have receive are from debt collection companies. They often don't identify themselves by their name because they figure the addressee will be less likely to sign for the letter. Not saying that is true in your case, but it is a possibility.
But your suspicion could also be true. Maybe the city has a fine that you haven't paid.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM

21 posts, read 141,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I am a letter carrier and I deliver lots of certified letters. Often letters that don't have a name or business for a return address but only a mailing address such as what you may have receive are from debt collection companies. They often don't identify themselves by their name because they figure the addressee will be less likely to sign for the letter. Not saying that is true in your case, but it is a possibility.
But your suspicion could also be true. Maybe the city has a fine that you haven't paid.
I don't have any unpaid debts or fines that I know of, but your post has reassured me that just ignoring it is probably the best course of action. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Child Support Summons

Old 04-10-2010, 05:39 AM

31 posts, read 108,287 times
It could be notice of a zoning variance hearing affecting your property. When our neighbor requested a variance to build a sunroom off the back of their house, we received a similar letter....

Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,027 times
A traffic violation or jury duty notice would come to you via regular mail. I can't think of anything the county would send by registered mail.

Notification of small claims suits can be sent via registered mail. Also, anyone who has beef with you and might want to use correspondence as evidence in future legal action might send a letter this way.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:14 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Joe Fission View Post
I got a little card in the mail the other day saying that the post office has a certified letter for me to pick up, and apparently I have to sign for it in person. The sender is just listed as "Upper Marlboro", which seems odd since Upper Marlboro is just a small town in PG county, but it's also the seat of the PG county government. I live in PG county, but not in Upper Marlboro.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? Red light or speeding camera ticket? Jury duty notice? I'm guessing I'm probably better off not signing for it since I can't imagine how this could be anything good, and if it were truly something important they would serve me in person anyway. I don't even necessarily know that this has anything to do with the county government, but I figure I'm better off just forgetting about it. I guess I've lived in MD long enough to expect bull**** fines and fees lurking around every corner. Any clues on what this might be?
Hey Joe, how about you open it and tell us what it is.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM

156 posts, read 423,624 times
Don't you normally have the option of having it redelivered like on Saturday so you can be home? The curiousity would kill me so I would have to sign for it. If you can rule out debt collectors and child support, I would go for it as it could be something good as well!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Yeah, there you go. Why deal with something today that you can put off until tomorrow. Obviously it's something important enough to where a person spent the time and money to send it registered. If it is bad news then the simple act of not signing for it won't stop the sender from attempting to deliver it. They'll just try another method. Sign for it and deal with it. Man Up Joe!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM

46 posts, read 235,780 times
I've gotten certified letters about winning prizes in contests/sweepstakes! Don't assume its anything bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland