Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,988 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in Bowie and we are from California. We don't know anything about the areas and schools overthere. I would like to get any help I can from this forum. Which area is good? I have two kids, hence any information about good school will be very much welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM

150 posts, read 595,905 times
What's your budget on a house, rent or buy? also, what are you looking for in a community, in term of parks, shopping, and amenities. And lastly how long are you guys willing to commute?

About schools: (school districts in MD are run by the County and DC runs their public schools entirely, so grouping them by county gives you a rough estimation as to what you might expect out of any given school): In DC and Prince Georges County, the public schools are all around pretty bad. Montgomery County And Howard County have the best in the area (but the very best are in very expensive areas, go figure). I have no idea about Anne Arundel County, but intuition tells me they are pretty good as well.

Last edited by Fissure226; 05-17-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,988 times
Thanks for your kind reply.
My budget is like 1200-1500 bucks for a 2b/2b. We will initially rent for 3-6 months so that we can know about the various areas. Commute is no problem as we have been commuting a lot here in CA. Yeah if there is a train running, we will look at this option also. Right now, we are unable to pick a nice neighborhood to look for an apartment. School (elementary) is an issue also. I have heard that Prince Georges county is pretty bad. I was looking somewhere in Virginia (Prince William). I would like to know about the crime rate in particular in Columbia as it is in Howard County and schools are good overthere. I have also looked at PARK STATION Apartments. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,613 times
Well before you go off of hearsay, I would check out P.G. county. Your budget would fit and there are plenty of safe areas around Bowie. P.G. as a whole is not a bad county. Just like any place you have pockets of crime. Cities on the border of D.C. tend to have high crime. I would know that Bowie schools tend to fair better then most other schools in P.G. which is a good thing.

Honestly I would recommend Bowie, Glenn Dale, Upper Marlboro, in P.G. Crofton, MD which isn't a far commute to Bowie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventegros View Post
Thanks for your kind reply.
My budget is like 1200-1500 bucks for a 2b/2b. We will initially rent for 3-6 months so that we can know about the various areas. Commute is no problem as we have been commuting a lot here in CA. Yeah if there is a train running, we will look at this option also. Right now, we are unable to pick a nice neighborhood to look for an apartment. School (elementary) is an issue also. I have heard that Prince Georges county is pretty bad. I was looking somewhere in Virginia (Prince William). I would like to know about the crime rate in particular in Columbia as it is in Howard County and schools are good overthere. I have also looked at PARK STATION Apartments. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Well before you go off of hearsay, I would check out P.G. county. Your budget would fit and there are plenty of safe areas around Bowie. P.G. as a whole is not a bad county. Just like any place you have pockets of crime. Cities on the border of D.C. tend to have high crime. I would know that Bowie schools tend to fair better then most other schools in P.G. which is a good thing.

Honestly I would recommend Bowie, Glenn Dale, Upper Marlboro, in P.G. Crofton, MD which isn't a far commute to Bowie.
I agree, crime outside the beltway in PG isn't a huge deal, but the school unfortunatly don't follow suit. I'm saying there aren't any good school clusters out there, for one Bowie area school are pretty good, so are Greenbelt schools, but other that that I can't say...GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

I would also recommend Silver Spring, Laurel, and Tacoma Park.

OP, you mentioned Prince William county...don't move all the way out there, the commute would be more than an hour or more, and unless you're from LA, you can't relate to DC traffic.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
Lets face reality here, your price range is low. Your family can not afford to live in a safe area in the DC metro area for your price range. Your family can not afford Bowie so before you go bashing please make sure you can afford to live there first. I am sure where your family can live in a 2br/2bathroom apt or house for $1200-$1500 that is a one bedroom apt price range.

I live in Prince Georges and you and your family can not afford my community in Upper Marboro. If you plan on renting in my community the min amount is $4k a month.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Lets face reality here, your price range is low. Your family can not afford to live in a safe area in the DC metro area for your price range. Your family can not afford Bowie so before you go bashing please make sure you can afford to live there first. I am sure where your family can live in a 2br/2bathroom apt or house for $1200-$1500 that is a one bedroom apt price range.

I live in Prince Georges and you and your family can not afford my community in Upper Marboro. If you plan on renting in my community the min amount is $4k a month.
Clearly no one wants rude neighbors anyways...

A quick Google real estate search for 2 bedrooms from 1,200 to 1,500 yeilds several condo and apartment locations right there in Bowie, as well in all there other cities people have been suggesting.

I forgot to answer your Columbia question earlier. Crime in Columbia and all of Howard County is very low, that shouldn't be an issue

Old 05-18-2010, 02:33 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post

HAH! $4k a month for a 2br apartment...please don't try to convince someone that's average, or even normal.

OP, you want to avoid Virginia. You mentioned Prince William, but that's going to be a really nasty commute (2+ hours each way isn't unbelievable). If you can find something in Howard County or Anne Arundel, that would be my suggestion.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,613 times
If your that scared of P.G. then across the boarder to Anne Arundel County Rental communites in both P.G. and Anne Arundel county will be in your budget, plus I think it would work best for you. Some other cities in Anne Arundel to consider: Riva, Crownsville, Odenton and Davidsonville.

I think Iscalder was referring to her community being 4,000 a month. If your looking to buy a house in P.G. home prices tend to average 300,000 to 350,000. Larger homes are 400,000 and up. While Howard County is nice, it's just too far and expensive. Good luck trying to find something that isn't 400,000. With the exception of condos and townhouses. Prince William is way too far and Charles County would be a stretch as well. My motto is if you can stay close why commute long distance, if you don't have to. Much success in your new endeavors.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
The reason for my first post was the poster knows nothing about the area and just start bashing the county. Lets be real everyone here in DC metro area are all searching to low cost area,safe and good schools. The fact is if you want

all 3 things you need to have the money to afford it in this area.$1200 is very cheap for 2b/2bathroom and I am pretty sure something is wrong with the area/unit that does not sound right to me.

If that is your price range you and your family will be renting for a very long time until you can afford a minimum of 3k a month for mortgage payment to purchase a home in a safe area with good schools and low crime.

When I was searching for a home in 06 in Bowie and Upper Marlboro the cheapest home is the one I purchased for $560k.

I would love to know in the DC metro area where can someone purchase a single family and pay$1200-$1500 a month and have good schools/safe?Please tell me because I would sell right now and buy that home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland