Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 52,235 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have never lived outside the state of Louisiana and need advice on the safest and best priced place to live for a college student. My husband will be attending University of George Washington this Fall for his Masters in International Law. So, far friends have told us to pick an apartment in either Virginia or Maryland and just commute into Washington, DC.

Also, could someone tell me how the job market is in DC and surrounding areas. I have a Bachelor in Psychology and a Masters in Interdisciplinary Studies. My husband holds two undergrad degrees in Business and Marketing as well as a Juris Doctor in Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
The job market in the DC area is in general terrific and very diverse. I doubt with your qualifications that you'll have much difficulty finding a job.

As far as a place to live, what sort of environment are you looking for? City or suburban? What's your tolerance so far as commute time goes? Any sort of budget constraints on rent?

A large number of GW students choose to live in Arlington along Metro's Orange Line, also known as the Ballston Corridor as it provides short commutes into DC, but has less of the hassles associated with living in DC (i.e. not as much red tape, a bit cheaper, less crime, lower density, easier parking, etc.). This area is in general urban but lower-density than DC, with plenty of bars and restaurants and great Metro access. There's a high concentration of young professionals in that area. DC itself is always an option as well.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The job market in the DC area is in general terrific and very diverse. I doubt with your qualifications that you'll have much difficulty finding a job.

As far as a place to live, what sort of environment are you looking for? City or suburban? What's your tolerance so far as commute time goes? Any sort of budget constraints on rent?

A large number of GW students choose to live in Arlington along Metro's Orange Line, also known as the Ballston Corridor as it provides short commutes into DC, but has less of the hassles associated with living in DC (i.e. not as much red tape, a bit cheaper, less crime, lower density, easier parking, etc.). This area is in general urban but lower-density than DC, with plenty of bars and restaurants and great Metro access. There's a high concentration of young professionals in that area. DC itself is always an option as well.
Thanks for the reply, My husband and I would love to live in either the city or suburb. We have never commuted before so at best a 30 or 45 minutes might be okay. We can probably afford rent at highest 1500 the most.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_23 View Post
Hi, I have never lived outside the state of Louisiana and need advice on the safest and best priced place to live for a college student. My husband will be attending University of George Washington this Fall for his Masters in International Law. So, far friends have told us to pick an apartment in either Virginia or Maryland and just commute into Washington, DC.

Also, could someone tell me how the job market is in DC and surrounding areas. I have a Bachelor in Psychology and a Masters in Interdisciplinary Studies. My husband holds two undergrad degrees in Business and Marketing as well as a Juris Doctor in Law.
The above poster is correct. Finding a job in your field will not be hard at all especially with all the associations/universities/hospitals.

You can't go wrong with living in either Arlington or Alexandria and taking the Metro to get where you wanna go....Foggy Bottom is expensive and insane....Also check out apartments near Dupont/Logan Circle/USt and 18th near UST/Florida Ave......

Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,935 times
Alexandria, Rossyln, Pentagon City, Arlington, Clarendon, Ballston, are all nice areas on the VA, side, and all offer easy commuting into the Distric. You should be able to find a nice to decent 1-2 bedroom apartment for $1,500 per month. There are two free apartment rental publications for the DC Metro area. You can view these online, via paperback goto:

www.apartmentshowcase.com
ApartmentGuide.com - apartments for rent, apartment finder

Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM

I'll look into the areas that you guys listed. Thanks

Old 06-29-2007, 04:20 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
Foggy Bottom is expensive, but it is beautiful and very safe, and the surrounding area is also very safe. You are within walking distance to downtown or Georgetown. There is also a Metro station. You would save yourself so much money and aggravation by not commuting. Just my opinion.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Finally, visited Washington, DC and found a place to live in Crystal City that meets our budget. Thanks for the helpful hints everyone

Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,935 times
Cool Crystal City is a nice area...you're very close to tons of great shopping, dining, recreation, and various forms of entertainment.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
USAjobs.com has listing of many govenment jobs that are available. I work for the Department of Justice as a summer intern and they are always looking for new people with the experience your husband has. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: