Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times

Advertisements

Transcendental moments prompted by a particular vista

Yes, perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,473 times
Not a direct answer to your question. DC is a unique city (just like any other city..lol) The road/street network and urban planning in general is amazing. It's architecture befits the original purpose for this city. It is impressive that even though downtown DC has no modern skyscrapers it still looks amazing! (I've been told there is a height limit for buildings in DC, no building should be taller than the Washington Monument/obelisk)

Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 PM

650 posts, read 868,222 times
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having said that, I haven't lived here too long, but yes, I do think DC is beautiful.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
For the east coast.. it looks nice.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
I met an older guy not to long ago at a restaurant in DC who has lived all over the world. He said unequivocally without my asking, the most beautiful American cities he's seen were SF, Chicago and DC.

I'd say majority of outsiders have favorable feelings towards DC being considered an attractive city.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:18 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
it's all relative. after living in San Diego, DC doesn't seem "beautiful" by comparison..

Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Everything is brown in San Diego as opposed to green here. Outside of the brief hibernation season, the defining characteristics of DC are short buildings, wide streets, lots and lots of sunlight at street-level, and green, green, green everywhere you look. Too cool!

It doesn't mean anything of course, but I'd go along with SF and Chicago as being other impressively attractive US cities. But because of their reliance on towering-ness, I don't think their beauty can be seen in quite the same terms as that of DC. Having vivid memories of what it was like in the early 1950's, I can also appreciate the beauty of what Pittsburgh has become. Particularly from the top of the incline up Mount Washington. What a remarkable make-over!

By the way, those who found the P Street Whole Foods insulting obviously never had to shop at the old Soviet Safeway.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Everything is brown in San Diego as opposed to green here. Outside of the brief hibernation season, the defining characteristics of DC are short buildings, wide streets, lots and lots of sunlight at street-level, and green, green, green everywhere you look. Too cool!

It doesn't mean anything of course, but I'd go along with SF and Chicago as being other impressively attractive US cities. But because of their reliance on towering-ness, I don't think their beauty can be seen in quite the same terms as that of DC. Having vivid memories of what it was like in the early 1950's, I can also appreciate the beauty of what Pittsburgh has become. Particularly from the top of the incline up Mount Washington. What a remarkable make-over!

By the way, those who found the P Street Whole Foods insulting obviously never had to shop at the old Soviet Safeway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
My room is as beautiful as the city.

But the old architecture, and the people in DC that you meet at night, drunk and alone are what makes it beautiful, I think.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:48 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Everything is brown in San Diego as opposed to green here. Outside of the brief hibernation season
You are probably right. San Diego is terribly ugly. No one else should move here and drive the housing costs up even higher.

Aren't you guys hibernating from a hurricane right now? Nevermind winter that's right around the corner...not exactly "brief"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC