Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 PM

847 posts, read 3,362,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
i just wanted say.....i live in south florida ......and I'm missing the DC area horribly....DC and the surrounding cities and states have everything to offer you...history, sightseeing, club scene, sexual orientation stuff, smart and intellectual people for the most part, racially mixed, fantastic schools (Thomas Jefferson HS in Fairfax), there's something for everybody...get out of the house and do something about your dislike or distaste for DC....really is not that bad....you got MARYLAND, VIRGINIA, B-MORE AREA, DC....make the most of your stay
Hey, I went to TJ too, class of '93. When did you graduate? The only thing about growing up around DC is that EVERYONE moves away after high school/college. But maybe we all come back eventually.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM

847 posts, read 3,362,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I have lived and worked in the District east of Rock Creek Park for 25 years and I've never been mugged, robbed, or assaulted.
That's funny -- I got mugged in Fairfax County (Huntington metro stop) at gunpoint in high school. And then sometime later (also in high school, early '90's) I went to some guy's birthday party in a nice neighborhood in NW to find out he'd been shot to death earlier that day -- caught a stray bullet while mowing the lawn. And I know people who claim to have been chased by muggers in Old Town, Alexandria of all places, and tons of the kids I grew up with in the suburbs (off Rt. 1 around Mount Vernon) were either on drugs or dealing drugs (or both), or their parents were (Arlington). So there's crime all over the place, even in the "good" parts. But what are you going to do? You can't stay locked up all day.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,241,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinarySoul View Post
I think DC is a heaven for the ambitious driven people, but it is hell for the relationship centered people. I am a relational person and working in DC area feels like swimming in a pool of sharks as a dolphin.
Exactly! Could not have said it better myself. You described the problem with DC perfectly.

Also, many (but not all) people are quite rude. When I do gentlemanly things, like opening doors for people, and saying "pardon me" if I bump into them... women often say that I'm "too nice". Yeah, I'm too nice for THEM.

One girl even told me verbatim: "you need to be more mean." I mean, seriously...

Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 39,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Exactly! Could not have said it better myself. You described the problem with DC perfectly.

Also, many (but not all) people are quite rude. When I do gentlemanly things, like opening doors for people, and saying "pardon me" if I bump into them... women often say that I'm "too nice". Yeah, I'm too nice for THEM.

One girl even told me verbatim: "you need to be more mean." I mean, seriously...
You know, most women don't like guys that are obsequious. Its the whole bad boy appeal thing. Being too nice (in any city) is a bad idea. Just some women advice

Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,241,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureM View Post
You know, most women don't like guys that are obsequious. Its the whole bad boy appeal thing. Being too nice (in any city) is a bad idea. Just some women advice
I'm not even talking about being obsequious. I'm talking about things like holding the door open when there's a mother with a baby on a stroll... or giving my train seat to a senior citizen with a cane. Basic Tact 101.

Unless, of course, you really do think that IS obsequious? You'd be more attracted to some "bad boy" dude who would push his own grandmother into oncoming traffic if he'd benefit from it? ..... lol, I rest my case.

Last edited by DCNative; 01-27-2008 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM

32 posts, read 146,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post

Agreed, I have the same issue. People look confused if I give them a strange look for not saying "excuse me" or something similar when they run into me, stand in front of the doors as I'm getting off the metro, etc.

I always open the doors for anyone behind me, hold the elevator, etc. as it's just good manners. I don't think it's really a DC thing though, rather that manners are just dead in general. I have noticed when I'm in the mid-west, people are at least a little more vocal about it all and acknowledge you more. Same goes for the west coast, but to a lesser degree.

When I was a kid, no one dared cut in front of you in line, now it happens every other day. If you were in the grocery store, people would let you go ahead if you had 2 items and they had 25. People in my office building, particularly women for some reason love to look directly at you as the elevator door shuts or let one of the heavy building doors hit you as you are carrying your bags or groceries. As they say, chivalry is dead. DC is very much a participant in the, "I am more important than you" game.

My biggest pet peeve is when people with kids automatically think they should get priority. I understand having a 3-year old at your feet can be stressful, but I don't pity anyone for it. Multiplying is a personal choice that I have no interest in undertaking. Apparently, everyone else thinks I should bear the burden of their choices. For instance, I have been at restaurants several times with a full party and a woman will walk-in 10 minutes later with kids, demanding that the hostess seat her family first because she has kids. Another of course is when you say something that they don't want their kid to hear. I wonder if these people really believe in these bubbles they think they have created for their kids. Your kid needs to be beat up and degraded a few times to grow up as a functional human being, it's just a fact of life.

Unfortunately, this is a symptom of society no matter where you go, but I will agree that DC sometimes feels worse than most places.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,535,434 times
Well said Cookie Toaster. Now when I do something "nice" such as hold the door for someone and I receive no acknowledgement, I just say very loudly "Oh, you're welcome!"
I like checking out their reaction.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM

32 posts, read 146,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Well said Cookie Toaster. Now when I do something "nice" such as hold the door for someone and I receive no acknowledgement, I just say very loudly "Oh, you're welcome!"
I like checking out their reaction.
I do that sometimes too. I usually opt for the evil look instead, but if they are super rude I will drop the sarcastic comment. The sad thing is 99% of the time, I honestly believe they have no idea what they did wrong, so I probably seem completely nuts to them (I probably am, but so what).

Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,357,255 times
Is DC really that bad? I had an interview there and the lady sitting next to me on the place HATED it there! She lived in Alexandria and said the 4-5 mile drive to the Pentagon took 45 minutes??! That seemed a little hard to believe. She also mentioned standoffish people and high COL. She said people kept going in and out of the city (with new political figures), so I equated it to Vegas. She kind of agreed, but say it was more like Vegas with 'people in suits.' Is the traffic really THAT bad??

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM

196 posts, read 922,595 times
yes, i believe her comment on the commute. there's alot of arteries that all weave together around the pentagon and get choked up trying to cross the river. It's a traffic mess down there, probably the most convoluted freeway system I have ever seen. DC consistently ranks 2nd/3rd behind LA for traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: