Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,008 times

Advertisements

I cannot blame you for feeling this way. For a long time I thought I was ugly because no one would talk to me. lol seriously, then I'd travel to other cities and get such a warm reception...I don't know why I stay here, am considering doing the bi-coastal thing.

One plus is the fact that it's so international -- I've never grown up in areas that were purely white anyway and for that I can appreciate the diversity of that which is Washington. But many of my guy friends have complained that girls are too uppity towards them, and I have a very hard time meeting people here even though I'm warm, open, and fairly genuine. I'm more a glamour puss type anyway so I'm probably not most people's cup of tea around here, considering that many people clock in to work and do the whole nine to five grind.

Oh well. Thank God for..air travel lol

Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 AM

113 posts, read 333,703 times
Cheasare is right...people manage to get along pretty well with all of that except for crime. "cannot be all things to all people"-there is a common understanding that there is something unique going on with the confluence of people dispite any negatives.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,871 times
Im a WAshingtonian, and In my experience DC is the most nastiest, mean hearted, unfriendliest city in the country.(and I have lived in other cities) People drive crazy and in a hurry even on Sunday. People are stand-offish. Cost of living is through the roof. The vibe of the city is that of anger and a hidden frustration at the world. Sometimes I just want to scream out "HELLO! HOW ARE YOU! I'M HERE!!I'M ALIVE! ARE YOU ALIVE!!" People try hard not to make eye contact here. The only good things are easy access, landscape and architecture and there are things to do...however that all counts for NOT if your doing things with people who are just out right mean and uncaring. The only friends I have in DC are people from other places. I can tell by how warm and engaging they are. Hey the rock group "THE POLICE" did not even include DC on their U.S tour for cryin' out loud, and they toures the entire country and world this summer. that says it all!! I'm upset but I understand.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,806,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownville View Post
Im a WAshingtonian, and In my experience DC is the most nastiest, mean hearted, unfriendliest city in the country.(and I have lived in other cities) People drive crazy and in a hurry even on Sunday. People are stand-offish. Cost of living is through the roof. The vibe of the city is that of anger and a hidden frustration at the world. Sometimes I just want to scream out "HELLO! HOW ARE YOU! I'M HERE!!I'M ALIVE! ARE YOU ALIVE!!" People try hard not to make eye contact here. The only good things are easy access, landscape and architecture and there are things to do...however that all counts for NOT if your doing things with people who are just out right mean and uncaring. The only friends I have in DC are people from other places. I can tell by how warm and engaging they are. Hey the rock group "THE POLICE" did not even include DC on their U.S tour for cryin' out loud, and they toures the entire country and world this summer. that says it all!! I'm upset but I understand.
I have to disagree. I find most folks in DC to be polite and friendly. Even the drivers. I am from a little further South too. I don't think people in DC are half as rude as they are in Boston or New York or California.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,463 times
Default I can relate

I am 32 years old and just moved from DC to GA last summer and was glad to get out of the rat race. After leaving my home town of DC I realized that I was not missing the traffic, high cost of living, crime, and poor school system. However, I did come to realize fast, that most large cities have the same conditions. It's just that DC pays you way more to have to live in them .

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM

106 posts, read 536,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
::spits out coffee::

Crime worse than D.C.? Nobody has crime worse than D.C.
What about Detroit?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 PM

37 posts, read 316,494 times
you are ignoring the fact that dc's crime has not been reduced....it has been pushed across the border by government officials closing down housing projects and raising house prices.....if you compare the murder's in the dc and its outlying suburbs...you will see the truth about crime

Old 09-27-2007, 05:42 PM

124 posts, read 701,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyko View Post
you are ignoring the fact that dc's crime has not been reduced....it has been pushed across the border by government officials closing down housing projects and raising house prices.....if you compare the murder's in the dc and its outlying suburbs...you will see the truth about crime
You are absolutely correct!

DC has shut down many of its Section 8 and government housing projects only to renovate them into high price condos and townhomes which no one can afford. Where do these residents go? The majority of them relocate to PG County Maryland and other suburban areas where the apartment managers and MD government have Section 8 available. This in turn creates flight amongst its current residents and the suburbs of DC becomes a haven for crime. Yes, DC is cleaning up the city, but the suburbs are now paying the price. They want to bring money and the cultural elite back into the city at the expense of dropping their heavy crime load unto someone else.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:24 PM

43 posts, read 257,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownville View Post

You are correct about everything you just said, i could not have said it better myself! I plan to leave the DC area in the next 1-2years aand relocate down south to either NC, GA, or TX. Its just not worth it for the amount of money you have to pay to live here.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:31 PM

43 posts, read 257,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
As much as I'm not a fan of NOVA and DC, I can think of a lot worse areas to live

Greater NYC- Gosh, if you think people in DC area are rude. Try NYC.

Great Los Angeles- Drive, Drive,Drive. You have to drive everywhere- even more than the DC area.

Atlanta- Atlanta is a lot worse than DC in many respects. Its bigger and has more smog and nobody lives downtown. And Southern Hospitality is a rare experience in Atlanta.
Lies, Lies and MORE Lies. People in NYC are nowhere rude as DC residents. DC residents have this certain amount of rage and anger about them that if you look at someone the wrong way they pop a bullet in your chest. Some of my closest college buddies that came from new york to comeschool down here, tell me countelss times, that DC is way worse than NY, and people are so crazy in DC.

Atlanta has just as much southern hospitality as anywhere in the south. When i visit atlanta im always greeted with warmness everywhere I go and I countellessly meet new people and make new contacts everytime I visit ATL. And people do live downtown, they might be a little on the sweet side though. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: