Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,536,538 times

Advertisements

I think you'll find that the 'go to work - go home' thing shows up on the weekday calendars of most folks who live in areas where the need to earn a living checks in as a high-ranking element in lifestyle determination. It sort of comes with the territory. As commuting in NoVa can indeed be a chore, one is always well-advised here to consider the commute as being one of the central factors in deciding where to live...

Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 AM

549 posts, read 627,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I think you'll find that the 'go to work - go home' thing shows up on the weekday calendars of most folks who live in areas where the need to earn a living checks in as a high-ranking element in lifestyle determination. It sort of comes with the territory. As commuting in NoVa can indeed be a chore, one is always well-advised here to consider the commute as being one of the central factors in deciding where to live...

If you don't want to commute, then live closer to where you work, like I do. Problem solved.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 72,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2544 View Post
Part of it has to do with the mindless kind of people that work for the Government. You know, the place where achievement goes unrewarded, and mediocrity and incompetence rule the day. Sometimes, I even think Phoenix has more style than people in DC.
both of my parents worked (my dad still does, my mom died) in the government, and they are very active in the cultural/arts aspects of the DC area.

i was born in DC and raised in and around the area. I have traveled many places and there is honestly no place like this area. If you hate dc its probably because you arent making the most of it. Where else can you go to see Art, Museums, Monuments, Plays, Zoos, etc for free? every single day of the week. see democracy live.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM

13 posts, read 81,686 times
Aaah... I see your problem. You don't live in DC, you live in NoVa. You desperately want to live in the city, but you chose to live in the "boring and soulless" suburbs. (... and, probably not because you were *afraid* to live in the city--you're considering Baltimore, for God's sake!--but probably because the rents were too high.)

Before running off to B'more, consider these options:

1. The Rosslyn-to-Ballston corridor
2. The Del-Ray neighborhood in Arlington
3. Downtown Silver Spring
4. Takoma Park, MD

Sorry, can't recommend anything in DC... all of the "cool" neigborhoods, I'm guessing, are out of your price-range.

Also, check out ThingstodoDC.com. They'll help you get a life.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM

113 posts, read 333,898 times
Go to the Mall on the weekend, go to the museums, take the river tour, go to Union Sation, go see the Pandas at the National Zoo, go to Old Town Alexandria, go to the the Wall (V N Vets memorial), go to downtown Annapolis-enjoy yourself while you are there

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM

78 posts, read 278,978 times
I was in DC a couple times on detail from Alaska. I found the city facsinating. I can do without the crowds, the cime and the grime.

I liked to go "Groundhogging".
I would get on the Metro then pop up at each stop. I looked around and if it was interesting I went exploring. If not, I simply popped back into the tunnel then popped out another hole.

I also enjoyed leapfrog hiking. I would take the Metro to one end of the line then get off and start hiking in the direction of home. I would hike and explore until I got tired or it got late. Then I would find a hole and catch the Metro home.

I walked from Maryland to Virginia, via DC.

But I could never live there.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM

113 posts, read 333,898 times
Default I walked from Maryland to Virginia, via DC.

no wonder you busted your knee. Glad you checked out your nation's capital region...and survived.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,811,038 times
As much as I'm not a fan of NOVA and DC, I can think of a lot worse areas to live

Greater NYC- Gosh, if you think people in DC area are rude. Try NYC.

Great Los Angeles- Drive, Drive,Drive. You have to drive everywhere- even more than the DC area.

Atlanta- Atlanta is a lot worse than DC in many respects. Its bigger and has more smog and nobody lives downtown. And Southern Hospitality is a rare experience in Atlanta.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 AM

70 posts, read 294,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
As much as I'm not a fan of NOVA and DC, I can think of a lot worse areas to live
You forgot the Big Sleazy, New Orleans. Rampant crime, multiple murders per day, rotten roads, filth everywhere, entitlement attitudes...must I go on? And this was BEFORE Katrina.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM

165 posts, read 565,301 times
Default People from all over in one area

D.C. metro area is a confluence of locals, folks from other parts of the U.S. and folks from other countries. It's obviously not always a perfect mix. Local folks remember how things were when they grew up, southern folks, midwesterners, folks from the west coast and Pacific northwest, plains states and the upper north east all bring some of their ways and expectations. Throw in people from other countries with varying cultural and social mores.... Under these circumstances D.C. can never be all things to all people.

C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: