Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM

76 posts, read 298,879 times

Advertisements

I am about to switch my residence from VA to DC. Can anyone tell me what is the procedure is for changing my car license plate and registration? What documents I will need? Any tips on making the change easy? Thanks so much for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,422 times
District of Columbia: Department of Motor Vehicles - Services - Vehicle Registration & Titles - Registering and Titling Your Vehicle (http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/registration/register.shtm - broken link) I would try to go early on a T - Th morning

Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
Any tips on making the change easy?
Go to the DMV in the Georgetown Mall. You can spend your wait-time bingeing on Auntie Anne's pretzels and browsing the 'As Seen on TV' store.

It's like a crappy DMV theme park.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 AM

176 posts, read 288,367 times
Have fun, and don't expect it to be easy, registering in DC is such a pain in the ass.

First, get your DC driver's license, and bring two IDs other than your current driver's license in order to get it, because apparently driver's licenses don't count to the DC DMV. Then get your car inspected and passed, THEN you can register your car.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Has anyone ever registered their car in DC and only been given one license plate, instead of the 2 the District of Columbia requires and not realized you needed 2 (having come from a state that only requires 1) until you got a ticket?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNittanyLion View Post
Has anyone ever registered their car in DC and only been given one license plate, instead of the 2 the District of Columbia requires and not realized you needed 2 (having come from a state that only requires 1) until you got a ticket?
I guess what you are really looking for is someone who said they didn't have to pay the ticket because of it? Well, you can certainly attempt to fight it, but ignorance of the law is not a legal defense. It may work, but probably not.

Personally, I'd pay the ticket, and immediately get in line at the DMV to explain the situation and get the other license plate. I wish you well, as this is likely to be a long and frustrating process. No one theer is ever likely to admit that such a mistake could ever be made.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNittanyLion View Post
Maybe the second one is stuck to the back of the firs one. Check to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC