Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are currently in the process of relocating to the Washington DC area from the Midwest & are interested in knowing what the opinions of those already established in the area.

I will be working for the government as a GS-13 in the Pentagon area. We are tentatively looking to settle in the Stafford, VA area. We’ll probably rent until we can find a suitable home to purchase in Stafford. I plan to utilize public transportation (VRE) and avoid driving as much as possible. (*I’m aware of the extended commute time from Stafford.)

We are a single-income family with 4 children (*my wife actually works part-time and should be able to transfer & continue working once we move, but we try not to factor her income and use that as a “buffer”). Our maximum housing budget is $2K / month ( = no more than $2,000 a month for rent or mortgage). We are in the process of selling our home here in the Midwest, but probably won’t have a lot left over for down payment on a new home on account of the current state of the real estate market. Plus, we plan to rent the first year anyhow as we get to know the area.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this plan – any insight would be most appreciated!
Thank you,

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,227,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh0351 View Post
Hello!
We are currently in the process of relocating to the Washington DC area from the Midwest & are interested in knowing what the opinions of those already established in the area.

I will be working for the government as a GS-13 in the Pentagon area. We are tentatively looking to settle in the Stafford, VA area. We’ll probably rent until we can find a suitable home to purchase in Stafford. I plan to utilize public transportation (VRE) and avoid driving as much as possible. (*I’m aware of the extended commute time from Stafford.)

We are a single-income family with 4 children (*my wife actually works part-time and should be able to transfer & continue working once we move, but we try not to factor her income and use that as a “buffer”). Our maximum housing budget is $2K / month ( = no more than $2,000 a month for rent or mortgage). We are in the process of selling our home here in the Midwest, but probably won’t have a lot left over for down payment on a new home on account of the current state of the real estate market. Plus, we plan to rent the first year anyhow as we get to know the area.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this plan – any insight would be most appreciated!
Thank you,

Josh

Sounds good....Makes sense to me. Just be prepared for the cost of living difference and traffic. Its nothing like the midwest except for Chicago....

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,900,296 times
you might want to consider the Gainsville area in PW county. It's closer in than Stafford (less commute time) and the VRE runs out of there as well. Schools are good in the Gainsville/Nokeville/Haymarket area and housing is better than Fairfax or even Loudoun counties.

Also many rental in Lorton in PW county.

LOOk at Military rentals ... militarybyowner

just remember to factor in your commute time. we are a govt family as well and my kids rarely seeing my husband during the week. (our choice since we choose to live in Leesburg and commute to Tysons) If you are support etc... and have set 9-5 hours then it not so bad. But if you are like my husband, and can't leave right at 5-6 because of some crisis (everything here is a crisis!!) then yourhours might be like his...6:30-7am to 7-7:30 pm.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,509,120 times
I'd agree that Gainesville and Lorton are good options also. They are coming from different pasts, but both are headed in a strongly positive direction going forward. I'd also again heartily agree with the emphasis on the commute. After the type of housing that's appropriate and affordable, the nature of the commute should be the #1 priority. Nothing will ruin your life faster than a nightmare commute, and too many people just don't pay enough attention to it. There is of course a Metro station underneath the Pentagon and tons of bus routes leave from there, and you can connect to Metro fairly easily off either VRE line, so the makings of something at least doable do seem to be there. Keep in mind that VRE doesn't really run all day long. It's essentially a rush-hour only service. See the schedules here: VRE Train Schedules Renting for a year will be a fine plan. By then you'll know whether wherever you are will work long-term, and if not, you'll have many new and good ideas about what would...

Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
Thumbs up Good input – THANKS!

Thanks, All! We’ll take a good, hard look at the Gainesville / Nokesville / Haymarket / Lorton areas in addition to Stafford. I’m originally from the Bay Area (Sunnyvale, CA) and we’ve been here in the Midwest for 10 years after relocating from Richmond, VA, so I’ve got an idea as to what we are getting into. I’m fairly certain that utilizing public transportation as much as possible is a good alternative to making the commute individually, and am prepared for a ballpark one-hour commute. Now if our house here will only sell (*quickly)!

Thanks again!

~Josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC