Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 PM

361 posts, read 853,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The Ritz
That's it! The Ritz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 AM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
15 Minute Club

Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
I remember more bars than clubs back in the day.

The Cellar on M Street. Great place to pick up 18-21 college girls if you are an old perv. Lots of hotties in this club.

Lulus. Also on M Street. The best Mardi Gras theme joint outside of Nawlins.

Tequila Grill on 19th Street. I could buy six bottles of Corona and walk out with six less dollars in my wallet. The appetizers were delish too.

Planet Fred's on Connecticut Ave. It's now the Lucky Bar but Fred's was a cool place to hang when I was in my early 20s.

Samantha's on L Street. Now called Mackey's.

Whitlow's on 11st Street. Relocated to Arlington, VA many moons ago.

Ozio on K Street. Back in the 1990s, it was trendy to drink martinis and smoke cigars. Lots of ladies were doing this back then. The Ozio on M Street, today, does not have the same vibe.

The Rock. Shortly after Verizon Center opened in 1997, a cool sports bar called The Rock sprung up a block away from the arena. Too bad it's long gone.

Babe's in Tenleytown. When I took some classes at AU, I would hang out at Babe's Billiards on Wisconsin Ave. The old Babe's is long gone but the owner recently brought Babe's back to life in Silver Spring. Not the same though

THE OLD 9:30 Club. The place was smaller compared to the current digs. But the location was perfect for the kind of punk and alternative rock bands that roll into DC. The sex shops. The old family-run appliance shops. The whole 9th Street area had a dive feel. Punk bands from NYC would feel at home there.

Believe it or not...there was a time in DC when drinks were CHEAP and STRONG. One dollar beer happy hours were everywhere. People were more laid-back and bar staff were friendly to customers. You would have a strong cross section of class and race of people hanging out in bars and lounges. It was not utopia but DC WAS a cool place to call home.

Then came gentrification...
Do you have to push your agenda into every thread? Can't you just enjoy a nice thread? The irony of your list is that most of those white college / yuppie places you listed (which themselves were the first wave of gentrification when they opened) still exist in some form and still don't charge $14 for cocktails or $100 for dinner. There are also a whole lot more reasonably priced places like them to choose from now - many of which are more interesting as well. I'm not sure Tequilla Grill (dark basement happy hour when few options existed downtown) or Lulu's (sloshy frat party) exactly qualified as interesting. WASHINGTON BULLET at least had a legit argument that the really hardcore places were driven out and fundamentally changed the nature of those parts of the city. The difference between your list and what exists today in those same areas is negligible.

And I don't know anybody who pays $2500 in rent in the city, even young families.

Last edited by Bluefly; 07-13-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Do you have to push your agenda into every thread?
DC was better in the 1990s. The people were mellower. Restaurants and bars were more affordable back then compared to today. That's my point--not an agenda.

The original poster was waxing nostalgic for some of the old clubs from the 1990s. I chimed in with some old joints of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
And I don't know anybody who pays $2500 in rent in the city, even young families.
Really? Check out a sample of recent Craigslist postings for 2-bedroom apartments in DC below.

washington, DC apts/housing for rent classifieds "Logan Circle" - craigslist

Apparently, I was lowballing the actual rents of DC's better neighborhoods with the $2,500 per month number. But it's all hyperbole on my part, right?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
DC was better in the 1990s. The people were mellower. Restaurants and bars were more affordable back then compared to today. That's my point--not an agenda.

The original poster was waxing nostalgic for some of the old clubs from the 1990s. I chimed in with some old joints of my own.

Really? Check out a sample of recent Craigslist postings for 2-bedroom apartments in DC below.

washington, DC apts/housing for rent classifieds "Logan Circle" - craigslist

Apparently, I was lowballing the actual rents of DC's better neighborhoods with the $2,500 per month number. But it's all hyperbole on my part, right?
Well, myself and others proved your first point wrong based on the establishments you listed. As for the second, I simply said that I don't know anybody paying those rates. That means that people live happily in this city without paying $14 for a cocktail, $100 for dinner, $2500 for rent, or $100 to see a baseball game (that you admitted you enjoy and wasn't here in the 90s). So, I proved that point wrong as well.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
DC was better in the 1990s.
You're entitled to that opinion, just understand that there are a great many who would disagree with you. I would counter-argue that there were *aspects* of DC in the 90s that were more desirable than today, but that the city as a whole was in substantially worse shape than it is now. Not everyone can afford a 24 course prix fixe menu at Rogue 24, but all residents benefit from better parks, schools, roads, libraries, infrastructure, amenities and so forth. And the money to pay for those things comes largely from the influx of new residents the city has attracted over the last 10-15 years.

Quote:
To imply that the city is comprised predominantly of people who spend $2500/month on rent, consistently eat out at pricey restaurants and frequently indulge in upscale boutique shopping is indeed rampant hyperbole on your part. Just because there are people in DC who do those things doesn't mean that everyone (or even a majority) does.

As I noted above, it certainly doesn't describe me or any of my friends; apparently Bluefly also dioes not fall within that category. But again, perhaps your friends and acquaintences do, which is why you presume that it describes the majority of the city. I wouldn't begin to know.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
The Bank? (later known as Platinum)
Platinum was extremely hood-ratish before it closed 5-6+ years ago. It was mostly 18-24 year old hoodboogers from PG and DC with a sprinkling of sleazy unbuttoned striped shirts in there. They would let anybody in there wearing anything damn near. That place was a pitch black hollowed out old gymnasium with crappy Top 40 Hip Hop blaring, basically. I remember friends and acquaintances used to liken that place to a high school dance every weekend. I remember 18 year old dudes in there giving me their money and asking me to go the bar and buy drinks for them. It was fun going there once in a blue moon on a dead weekend in the summer in my early 20's when I first started sampling the nightlife. I saw Bishop Don Magic Juan there before . Everyone was taking pictures of him.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM

25 posts, read 66,816 times
It was first the Bank then Fifth Column which was one of the best club in DC even on the east coast. After Fifth Column was over it was turned into Platnium and thats when it turned into trash.
Moderator cut: signature removed, please read the terms of service

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2011 at 02:03 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,644 times
The club was a bank firth then it became the fifht column then the bank i was the club dancer there every friday and saturday night i will get on the dance box that was in the middle of the dance floor i miss those days. But i,m 40 now and i still dance. And the other club besibe it was call the vault it was a bank too before it became a night club. You many remeber me i was the some male club dancer for the zei club in the alley of h&i st. Nw on 14 st. I give you a hint. When i get on the dance box in the middle of the dance floor. I will aways rip my shirt off. And i was the dancer who can dance for hours and still do. Plus i use to to work as a bar-back and night club security at the insect club before i start being an dancer for the zei club and the fifth column/the bank night club..... I wish they will all come back one day and get my dance spot back... I may be 40 but people say i look 29..well i hope this will help you to remeber the fith column and the vault. P.s. You for got 9:30 club was across the street before they moved over by howard university hospital... Peace out....

Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM

50 posts, read 122,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
ahh the Ritz. Best place ever. Coldbliss, stop being a killjoy.
Am I correct in saying that building was an adult theater in it's earlier life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: