Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times

Advertisements

There is no comparable large metropolitan area in the US completely devoid of a music scene like DC. From top to bottom pretty much no acts have broken out here in the past decade. The city has a rich musical heritage with Duke Ellington, Marvin Gaye, John Philip Sousa and the 80s hardcore punk and emo scene but the DC area is pretty much an artistic void now. It makes DC a sad artistic void without character, I've pretty much felt that since I was a young teenager.

DC also has the worst radio in America. There's no college radio that plays breaking music and all the radio is corporate owned except the public stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
There is no comparable large metropolitan area in the US completely devoid of a music scene like DC. From top to bottom pretty much no acts have broken out here in the past decade. The city has a rich musical heritage with Duke Ellington, Marvin Gaye, John Philip Sousa and the 80s hardcore punk and emo scene but the DC area is pretty much an artistic void now. It makes DC a sad artistic void without character, I've pretty much felt that since I was a young teenager.

DC also has the worst radio in America. There's no college radio that plays breaking music and all the radio is corporate owned except the public stations.
Wale?
J. Holiday??
Tabi Bonney???
Meshell N'Degeocello????
Tank?????
Raheem Devaughn??????
CCB???????

You crazy!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wale?
J. Holiday??
Tabi Bonney???
Meshell N'Degeocello????
Tank?????
Raheem Devaughn??????
CCB???????

You crazy!
Only one I've heard of is Meshell, I dont really listen to rap or R&B. Only somewhat recent other group I can think of is Thievery Corporation. Not taking anything away from the artists you've mentioned but the DC music scene is still pitiful for such a large area. Areas with like 1/20 of the population like Athens, GA and Gainesville, FL outpace it.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
I think the rock/punk scene in this city is pretty mediocre.

But it hardly seems fair to claim that DC's music scene sucks when, by your own admission, you don't listen to much of the music that artists throughout the city are churning out these days. In addition to r&b and hip-hop, DC is home to some really exceptional jazz talent. I think that's one area in particular where the city punches above its weight.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
I've seen a bunch of local bands in the past few years that are really good, such as the Cassettes and Exit Clov. Are they popular or nationally-known? No, but who cares? I like what I like and I don't see why anyone else should be different.

Go to the Rock and Roll Hotel, Red Palace, Black Cat backstage, Iota, Velvet Lounge, DC9 and you can find tons of local bands. Maybe those kinds of places are not your scene, but they appeal to other people. You can't say the city is "devoid" of music when off the top of my head I can rattle off six or seven clubs that regularly host local music.

Looking at the other top ten metropolitan areas, do Dallas, Houston and Miami have a better selection of rock clubs than these? Miami clearly has a better dance and hip hop scene, but for rock, I'm not aware. I've actually heard Miami is pretty bad for rock music. Dallas and Houston are almost certainly better for country music but for rock I don't see them as being better than DC.

I have lived in two cities smaller than DC (Tampa and Charlotte) and I can definitely say that at least as far as rock music goes, DC is much better as one would expect from its larger size.

Just because DC hasn't produced many famous artists recently doesn't mean they won't again in the future.

Who even cares about radio anymore? The Internet has almost entirely supplanted it as a place to find new music. As more people buy the technology that allows them to play podcasts and Internet radio in their cars, this trend will only accelerate.

Last edited by stateofnature; 01-24-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Who even cares about radio anymore? The Internet has almost entirely supplanted it as a place to find new music. As more people buy the technology that allows them to play podcasts and Internet radio in their cars, this trend will only accelerate.
This is undoubtedly true. I can't remember the last time i "discovered" an act because it got played on the radio. Well, broadcast radio anyway. There are a couple of XM channels I listen to that have introduced me to bands I wasn't familiar with.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
I don't care much for music since it's already downhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post

Pandora ftw.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post

Ginuwine
Mya
Amerie

Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM

354 posts, read 785,341 times
there have been quite a few R&B acts out this area..as others have posted
wale pretty much the only rapper to make it big
the hiphop station here suck too.. i usually listen to bmore 92.q station cuz they atleast play alot of their local artist and other underground tracks unlike dc stations where all u hear is wats on the top 20 billboard charts over and over and over again

Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
The radio? what's that? oh yeah now I remember, that thing that attempts to put out music but fail miserably.

"Hey, you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world" you don't have to watch Dumb and Dumber, just turn on the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC