Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM

89 posts, read 274,840 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm actually from the Washington, D.C. metro area but have been gone for quite some time now. I'm planning to relocate to the DC area and am applying for a job with DCPS (school counselor). I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with DCPS, whether as an educator or as a parent. I know the system needs fixing, but it was always my dream to be a part of that change (since I was a kid). Any firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,159 times
I don't have anything of use to share, but wanted to say kudos (and good luck) for following your passion!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
I don't have anything of use to share, but wanted to say kudos (and good luck) for following your passion!
Thanks! I've worked at what was considered the 2nd worst public school in GA, then went on to work at an alternative school where those expelled students attended and have since been working in the slums of Brasil. I figure if I can make it here, and end up having half the success I've had along those stops, I'll be more than content

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM

44 posts, read 78,954 times
I grew up and attended Arlington County Public Schools for 13 years so I never attended, but I have friends that teach there now and have worked with people who went there. The overarching consensus I've come across is that there are low standards throughout the system. A 'good' day in many of the high schools is not having a major fight break out. It's hard to have a high bar for your students when that's your benchmark. I really want to see them succeed and there are a lot of really good teachers there, but the bureaucracy is pretty strong and the parental involvement isn't always at the levels that it should be.

I'm sure you'll get A LOT of comments, so I want to leave you with this Washington Post opinion piece from over the weekend that's generated some buzz recently I went to some of D.C.’s best schools. I was still unprepared for college. - The Washington Post (Guess I can't post links yet)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefblueapple View Post
stuff
Thanks for posting that, its a fascinating article for me personally as I've run the gauntlet of schooling options - I've spent time at public schools (in MD), private schools, international baccalaureate program, as well as GCSEs and A-levels ... and my largest criticism of the US schooling system (private or otherwise) is that it really doesn't teach critical thinking. When I did my A-levels I was dumbfounded to discover that the questions didnt cover "chapters 5 through 8, 12 and 13, but not 10-12". Suddenly I had to put together disparate concepts that may not have been ever presented together in a classroom. A US physics class taught me things like F=MA, and I could rest assured any exam I had would just play with those three variables - come A-levels I suddenly had to take a concept like that and mash it together with a formula about geostationary orbit to figure out the maximum mass of a satellite; no longer could I rely on simply knowing the equations and plugging away - now I had to combine the concepts from two parts of the courses that were perhaps never placed together in any way before. It was just the sciences that were like this - all the courses were. History in the US meant learning dates, names, places and ensuring an ability to regurgitate. What year was Napoleon exiled to Elba was a perfectly reasonable test question. Suddenly, in A-levels the question became "Was Napoleon a military innovator? Discuss". Suddenly knowing he was exiled in April isnt very useful at all. Moving from US to A-level was a shock and a half and I frankly credit those two years as the years in which I actually learned to think. Its telling, I would argue, that most any US university gives nearly a full years worth of credits to someone coming in with 4 A-level exams under their belt.

I liked the kids article but I think he overestimates his peers; all US school systems seem focused on memorization rather than understanding, on formulas instead of theories, on the objective assessment over the subjective.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefblueapple View Post
I grew up and attended Arlington County Public Schools for 13 years so I never attended, but I have friends that teach there now and have worked with people who went there. The overarching consensus I've come across is that there are low standards throughout the system. A 'good' day in many of the high schools is not having a major fight break out. It's hard to have a high bar for your students when that's your benchmark. I really want to see them succeed and there are a lot of really good teachers there, but the bureaucracy is pretty strong and the parental involvement isn't always at the levels that it should be.

Thanks a lot. I actually went to school in Fairfax County (Alexandria), so I never attended DCPS. It seems like your friends' echo the sentiments I often hear about DCPS; the bureaucracy and incompetence at the administrative level are some of the main reasons that DCPS continues to struggle. Thanks again for the article too!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,884 times
This kid went to Cesar Chavez, first of all thats not even in the DCPS system. Its a charter school. Second, DCPS has its good schools like School Without Walls (which I go to), Benjamin Banneker (almost no diversity but great test scores, etc.) and Woodrow Wilson (good school except for all the thugs they select for athletics). Choose the right school and you will be well prepared.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca Da Gema View Post
Hey guys, I'm actually from the Washington, D.C. metro area but have been gone for quite some time now. I'm planning to relocate to the DC area and am applying for a job with DCPS (school counselor). I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with DCPS, whether as an educator or as a parent. I know the system needs fixing, but it was always my dream to be a part of that change (since I was a kid). Any firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated...
Are you trained in or have any knowledge of martial arts or boxing?

You are most definitely going to need those skills.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM

220 posts, read 548,408 times
I don't have anything to share either, but I also wanted to say thanks. I really admire those who have a passion/gift for working with children from challenging backgrounds. Hats off to you and I wish you the best!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckid24 View Post
This kid went to Cesar Chavez, first of all thats not even in the DCPS system. Its a charter school. Second, DCPS has its good schools like School Without Walls (which I go to), Benjamin Banneker (almost no diversity but great test scores, etc.) and Woodrow Wilson (good school except for all the thugs they select for athletics). Choose the right school and you will be well prepared.
Thanks for the response, a current student's perspective is always helpful when trying to assess school environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Are you trained in or have any knowledge of martial arts or boxing?

You are most definitely going to need those skills.
Ha! I'm 6'3, 210, played sports all my life (QB, Bball, etc), boxed, Muay Thai and am advanced in capoeira...But I've never had to use any of that, I've always relied on my communication skills and establishing respect and rapport with my students (amazing how far that can take you). It's worked for me thus far (in places far worse than DC), so hopefully it'll continue working, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghere View Post
I don't have anything to share either, but I also wanted to say thanks. I really admire those who have a passion/gift for working with children from challenging backgrounds. Hats off to you and I wish you the best!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: