Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

27,636 posts, read 28,738,299 times

Advertisements

Something funny about the French Quarter is that I had to keep telling different women that I had a family. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,462,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Something funny about the French Quarter is that I had to keep telling different women that I had a family. lol.
Another funny thing about it is that if you have any women with you, you better keep them in the center of the herd.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,414,880 times
new orleans is way way way friendlier than
dc, so the two cities don't compare. I
wouldn't want to move to new orleans tho,
because it's too hot and stormy, plus I
don't want to live in a town that has a
lake over it lol.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,719,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Another funny thing about it is that if you have any women with you, you better keep them in the center of the herd.
I gave my fiance a pep talk before our first trip to Bourban. Told her, baby the street is crowded. someone will touch your leg, someone will grab your ass. Keep walking, I can't fight everyone. If they get overly aggressive, I got u.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,462,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I gave my fiance a pep talk before our first trip to Bourban. Told her, baby the street is crowded. someone will touch your leg, someone will grab your ass. Keep walking, I can't fight everyone. If they get overly aggressive, I got u.
Man, that is the truth.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,173,158 times
Lived in the other LA for six years. You can't beat the hospitality, the food, the people and the culture. NO was a great experience. NO woman are crazy. They will literally love you to death if you cross them. If you ever get the opportunity, go to Essence Festival in the Summer. A toned version of Mardi Gras but nice.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times
As another person who quite likes New Orleans a lot, I was HOPING to see the DC perspective on New Orleans and HOPING you'd all just say it's fine, but it's NO DC. Sounds like you all love it though!

Occasionally I entertain the idea of relocating back to the U.S., and examine a lot of different options, and DC always makes the most financial sense and job-wise sense. But little cities like New Orleans definitely pull at the spirit in their own ways.

Nonetheless, always interesting to hear the DC perspective on places as well.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,963,908 times
It is a beautiful City, but VERY different than DC.
In some ways far more depressing, things which would be open and thriving in DC are boarded up. Beautiful historic buildings dedicated to culture, just dead. The job market is also far more robust in DC, at least for those of us who have the credentials.

On the other hand the food in NOLA is awesome, the city is friendly, the drinks are strong, it is definitely is an art's and entertainment town.

I do not think the cities are comparable. Even the jazz scene in DC is far different. Yeah both cities have great jazz, but New Orleans it is everywhere, while in DC it's more of a cultural and club scene.

There is a part of me that wishes Baltimore was more like NOLA. NOLA has many of the same problems, but it will always be special because it knows how to be the life of the party. It is easy to overlook the bad aspects because it has a great deal going for it. It's cultural importance cannot be ignored. So it is worth visiting. Baltimore is just depressing these days.

DC and NOLA though are very different. I would not compare the two. DC is a hyper-professional city, NOLA is something different. If DC can be epitomized by a lawyer or public servant, NOLA can be epitomized by an artist. Those of us in DC need cities like NOLA to remind us life does not need to be so serious.

Also I rather spend a week in New Orleans, than a week in Vegas. There is an authenticity to New Orleans that one does not find in many other Arts and Entertainment cities. I really hope to go back there one day.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:42 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,112,248 times
I prefer living in metro DC to NOLA. Biggest reason is probably climate. Mid-Atlantic has the goldilocks climate in my book. NOLA is hot and steamy most of the year while DC has four even seasons. But NOLA is a great town and everyone should try to visit at least once in their lifetimes. And there's one category where NOLA beats DC hands down (and maybe every other city on the planet). And that's food. Holy smokes. If I lived in NOLA I'd weigh 300 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC