Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM

771 posts, read 1,465,434 times

Advertisements

I agree that this sounds like some sort of gang initiation. Crime happens everywhere, this only confirms what anyone who lives in a big city already knows: always stay alert and keep your guard up, specially if you're walking alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,902,978 times
Looks like they already got the guy: Prince Of Petworth » Arrest Made in the Homicide and Bashings in Petworth

Kudos to the MPD

Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 AM

837 posts, read 1,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Looks like they already got the guy: Prince Of Petworth » Arrest Made in the Homicide and Bashings in Petworth

Kudos to the MPD
A claw hammer? No wonder people were in critical condition. I hope he gets a serious sentence.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,610,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
And these seem to have taken place in northern Petworth. Northwest is the largest quadrant in the city and has an incredible variety of neighborhoods. Generalising them all to look like Dupont Circle or Friendship Heights is just foolish.

isnt northern Petworth usually considered safer than southern Petworth?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM

71 posts, read 267,101 times
Living there, I'd like to think so. I also don't think it's gang related. Some kid probably all junked up on PCP. He lived on the same street he was caught. Pretty serious lack of judgement, even for a crew kid.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,125,514 times
When I read about this it brought back unhappy memories of the nutjob who drove around Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights - then in the middle and early stages of gentrification in the early 1990s- shooting people with a sawed-off shotgun. Seemingly random acts of violence by a seriously deranged individual.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Yes, lately we've had reminders that some bad criminal things can happen in what are generally "good" areas.

Gang associates plead guilty in Fairfax prostitution ring, officials say - The Washington Post

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,125,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Yes, lately we've had reminders that some bad criminal things can happen in what are generally "good" areas.

Gang associates plead guilty in Fairfax prostitution ring, officials say - The Washington Post
You mean crime is not strictly confined to the city? Kudos for pointing that out, albeit in the most obvious "tit-for-tat" way possible. I really no idea and always assumed that the only reason why suburban jurisdictions even bothered to have police departments was to rescue cats from trees.

Both the shotgun stalker and head-bludgeoner in DC temporarily create[d] a sense of sheer panic among residents of areas of DC that were seen as improving. And, quite honestly, before the killer was arrested, one thing that went through residents' heads before, and likely again, was "is this guy doing this because he doesn't like the changes to the neighborhood?" That's clear from some of the recent posts speculating as to whether the Petworth incidents were part of a gang initiation. In the early 90s, before the shotgun stalker was arrested and sent to St. Elizabeth's, I remember cab drivers who, at midnight, would not wait 10 seconds for me to get to my door from the curb because they were so afraid that someone would pull up in a sedan and start shooting at either me or them. That's the type of memory - of random, unpredictable violence directed at innocent victims - that the report of the Petworth head-bludgeoner dredges up.

Human trafficking is serious stuff, and deserves to be punished, but it does not have the same in terrorem effect on neighborhood residents. I would have thought that was pretty obvious. If you really just want to point out that bad things happen in the suburbs, too, you probably should have noted that all but one of the Muhammad/Malvo victims was shot outside DC. However, the difference in that situation was that the attacks were spread out over a much wider region, and not concentrated in a particular area as with the Mount Pleasant/Columbia Heights attacks and the more recent incidents in Petworth.

Last edited by JD984; 04-27-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,734,715 times
Hang him.

Err, right, DC... uh, life without parole him!

Err, uh, 25 to life him!

Okay, fine, his grandma did testify that he's never done nothin' wrong. 15 years.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You mean crime is not strictly confined to the city? Kudos for pointing that out, albeit in the most obvious "tit-for-tat" way possible.
This thread has pointed out (check the OP) that crime in DC is not confined to high crime areas in DC, and your post was a further reminder of that.

I'm not sure why "gang initiation" necessarily means "gentrification pushback" and it looks like it was not a gang initiation.

yes, different types of crime create different reactions. That being said, I do not think anyone browsing this thread should have a special fear of spending time in DC, where the most serious crime continues to decrease, even as the population grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC