Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,188,634 times

Advertisements

Both cities in one weekend but either one or two days in DC? Sounds like plans aren't yet fixed. If you're going to stay in or near DC, I hope you have a hotel reserved or you make reservations right away. Too bad MARC trains from Baltimore don't run on weekends. You could take Amtrak, but it's pricier. Once you're in DC, you won't generally need a car unless you end up staying far from a Metro rail line (see www.wmata.com).

Parking can be tough to find at any times. Much street parking is free on Sundays but anything near the Mall tends to fill early. There at least used to be a free (and very well-attended) concert on the lawn in front of the Capitol on Memorial Day, with rehersals the night before. Ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery could be touching if you can get in. Expect lots of people at the museums. If you're going to the Air & Space Museum, I'd hit that first, since it gets so crowded. I've enjoyed most of the Smithsonian Museums along the Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,111,627 times
I've never visited the Newseum yet. It's so large with so many floors, that once I paid the admission price, I'd probably want to spend most of the day there. There are plenty of other D.C. museums that don't charge admission. The Newseum, the International Spy Museum, Wax Museum, Crime and Punishment, and Koshland Science Museum (all rather close together) are among the few that do charge. These facilities are all listed, in order of popularity, in the link I just provided you in response #3 above.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM

585 posts, read 2,020,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I do like to have a drink or two with my meal and planning on taking a lot of photos. However, we will have our young son with us so.. we want to hit up nice restaurants, but seems the kid friendly ones are like Applebees, Chillis, TGIFridays, Olive Garden... places we DO not go to. I don't know why so many establishments think that just because you have a child that you want run of the meal cheap food and/or you haven't taught your child how to behave in an establishment.
How old is your son? What kind of food is he into? There ARE kids in the District, it's just a matter of finding a place where you won't get funny looks for busting out crayons during your meal

Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,436,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
How old is your son? What kind of food is he into? There ARE kids in the District, it's just a matter of finding a place where you won't get funny looks for busting out crayons during your meal
He will be 5 soon. He really isn't into the crayons and coloring while waiting for the food. We like to have conversations and talk about about our day and such He really is a great kid at restaurants as we made sure to always take him to various places and instill manners.

He enjoys pasta of almost any kind and chicken nuggets of course, but also loves steak and chicken dishes. We generally do Italian, steak houses, American and seafood restaurants. Hoping to try some soul food places, good bar-b-que, good burgers, steak, maybe some other ethnic food if not too spicy

Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM

585 posts, read 2,020,153 times
Quote:
He will be 5 soon. He really isn't into the crayons and coloring while waiting for the food. We like to have conversations and talk about about our day and such He really is a great kid at restaurants as we made sure to always take him to various places and instill manners.

He enjoys pasta of almost any kind and chicken nuggets of course, but also loves steak and chicken dishes. We generally do Italian, steak houses, American and seafood restaurants. Hoping to try some soul food places, good bar-b-que, good burgers, steak, maybe some other ethnic food if not too spicy
Perfect! And good for you guys, too few parents get the value of teaching their own kids manners. You know as well as I do that most establishments think your kid will destroy the restaurant because so many of the kids that AREN'T yours do exactly that. Unfortunate that you and your son have to pay the price but such is life.

I'd try Acre 121 or Hill Country BBQ on 7th for BBQ - Acre 121 might be a bit much for you guys + kid but Hill Country will definitely work out, they're somewhat newer but the staff is great. It's a little "chainy" but like I said, the staff make it what it is, plus it's a great location for wandering around and conveniently located.

Otherwise personally I love Gloria's Pupuseria in Columbia Heights and since it's kind of a hole in the wall, none of the abuelas working there will get mad at you if on the off chance your son pulls anything (sounds like he won't but always good to have a plan anyway haha). If you haven't yet experienced the joy of a pupusa, they'll hook you up and as a pancake filled with cheese, kids love them (I have a grade schooler myself but he's part Central American so he was raised on stuff like that).

If you guys get the chance, I'd say definitely stop at local and tourist mainstay Ben's Chili Bowl for hot dogs just to say you went (and as long as you don't go during "drinking" hours, you shouldn't have to deal with the crowds) as that's definitely kid-friendly (the adults I've seen there late nights are WAY worse than any 5 year old could be!).

Black & Orange in Dupont might also be an option for burgers - it's not 5 star or anything but it's not fast food and the atmosphere is such that a 5 year old won't feel alienated either.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,436,975 times
Thank you so much for your help! That pupusa sounds great!! Lot of good suggestions- I appreciate it.

Acre 121- Icebox lemon pie! And sweet potato waffle?! Totally going there Hill Country will definitely be good for a lunch meal. Ben's is cheap eats for breakfast

Black & Orange.. cheap prices, but wow, very um... interesting burgers..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Perfect! And good for you guys, too few parents get the value of teaching their own kids manners. You know as well as I do that most establishments think your kid will destroy the restaurant because so many of the kids that AREN'T yours do exactly that. Unfortunate that you and your son have to pay the price but such is life.

I'd try Acre 121 or Hill Country BBQ on 7th for BBQ - Acre 121 might be a bit much for you guys + kid but Hill Country will definitely work out, they're somewhat newer but the staff is great. It's a little "chainy" but like I said, the staff make it what it is, plus it's a great location for wandering around and conveniently located.

Otherwise personally I love Gloria's Pupuseria in Columbia Heights and since it's kind of a hole in the wall, none of the abuelas working there will get mad at you if on the off chance your son pulls anything (sounds like he won't but always good to have a plan anyway haha). If you haven't yet experienced the joy of a pupusa, they'll hook you up and as a pancake filled with cheese, kids love them (I have a grade schooler myself but he's part Central American so he was raised on stuff like that).

If you guys get the chance, I'd say definitely stop at local and tourist mainstay Ben's Chili Bowl for hot dogs just to say you went (and as long as you don't go during "drinking" hours, you shouldn't have to deal with the crowds) as that's definitely kid-friendly (the adults I've seen there late nights are WAY worse than any 5 year old could be!).

Black & Orange in Dupont might also be an option for burgers - it's not 5 star or anything but it's not fast food and the atmosphere is such that a 5 year old won't feel alienated either.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM

339 posts, read 517,182 times
Quote:
What are must eat places in the that area (looking for cheap eats and mid price- nothing more than 50$ for entrée)? Visiting DC sometime in near future and will be staying a couple blocks from Logan Circle
In Logan Circle, I recommend Birch & Barley, Estadio, Cork and Pearl Dive (all on 14th) for mid-price. For cheap eats, Sweet Green on P St. makes great salad and Taylor, Black and Orange and Standard (subs, burgers and BBQ, respectively) are good and up 14th St closer to U. Of course, Ben's Chili Bowl on U St. if you want to do the tourist thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC