Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,080,376 times

Advertisements

I will be visitng the Baltimore/DC area over the Memorial Day weekend.

I hope to spend a day or two checking out DC and I am starting to put together my plan. What should I check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,590,471 times
Broad question. What are your interests?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,115,126 times
Here is a list of 212 of Washington's top attractions, ranked in order by popularity, with details and reviews about each one. Washington DC Attractions: 18,703 reviews on 334 things to do - TripAdvisor Most of these, by the way, are free of charge.

Do you need any advice about overnight lodging, dining, and local transportation ? Where are you coming from ?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Here is a list of 212 of Washington's top attractions, ranked in order by popularity, with details and reviews about each one. Washington DC Attractions: 18,703 reviews on 334 things to do - TripAdvisor Most of these, by the way, are free of charge.

Do you need any advice about overnight lodging, dining, and local transportation ? Where are you coming from ?
Thanks, I'll take a look at the link.

I will be staying in Maryland so I plan on driving into the city and taking public transportation around. I would like to see some of the famous landmarks oh and I hear there is an architecture museum. Is it recommended?

I am an architect/urban planner from Houston who really tries to understand the character of whatever city I visit.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,115,126 times
You're thinking of the National Building Museum. I believe it's one part of the Smithsonian Institution complex, and if so, it's described here Smithsonian and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Building_Museum. Admission to all the Smithsonian buildings is free of charge, 364 days a year.

The National Building Museum is in an old 19th-century building which was originally Federal offices. It's near the "Judiciary Square" metrorail station on the Red line http://www.wmata.com . It's also near the Chinatown district, an area that that once was run-down but has grown very popular since the opening of the Verizon Center stadium in 1997. A few blocks north of there are city blocks sprouting many new condominium apartments.

The American Architectural Foundation has its headquarters in this unusual little building http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Octagon_House and the American Institute of Architects is next door to it.

Two very architecturally "Ugly" buildings downtown are these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover_Building and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_C...ashington,_D.C.)

Another quite unusual-looking building is the "River Park" houses, described last week, in an article here http://www.washingtonpost.com and in their search-box type the keyword "Monica Hesse".

For an unusual-looking photo-op, try standing at 801 I street N.W. and look north, through the modern "TechWorld" building courtyard, toward the 100-year old Carnegie Library in the distance. Quite a juxtaposition of old and new styles, in the same view.

Generally, traffic and parking in D.C. proper, is much easier on weekends than weekdays. You should be able to find ample free parking at suburban metrorail stations on weekends. If you drive into downtown, pay very careful attention to the parking restriction signs on each block. And there may be a big crowd, temporarily, for the annual Memorial Day band concert on the National Mall (search for information about this on-line).

Last edited by slowlane3; 05-15-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
who really tries to understand the character of whatever city I visit.
If you're going to be driving around our city, you'll definately get our "character"!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM

27,793 posts, read 28,902,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I will be visitng the Baltimore/DC area over the Memorial Day weekend.

I hope to spend a day or two checking out DC and I am starting to put together my plan. What should I check out?
When it comes to Washington, D.C., the rule of thumb is: anything you've heard about is most likely going to be worth checking out.

This city has no disappointments as far as visitor attractions go.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,293,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When it comes to Washington, D.C., the rule of thumb is: anything you've heard about is most likely going to be worth checking out.

This city has no disappointments as far as visitor attractions go.
That's basically true, but I've found that the quality of certain Smithsonian museums (*cough*AmericanHistoryafterrenovations*cough*) has dropped dramatically.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,437,454 times
What are must eat places in the that area (looking for cheap eats and mid price- nothing more than 50$ for entrée)? Visiting DC sometime in near future and will be staying a couple blocks from Logan Circle

Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 PM

585 posts, read 2,020,596 times
I would suggest checking out the Newseum if you get a chance and that's your thing (I'm a news junkie myself).

Also, if you're a drinker, the patio at the W is within spitting distance of Treasury with great views of the Washington Monument and White House so you can get some good shots to brag about back home. It can get a little douchey up there but still worth the view and for you, you can appreciate the city's architecture from a different vantage point.

For NEOhioBound: my all-time favorite joint in the city is Belga Cafe in Eastern Market and it's not too bad but certainly not cheap eats either. It's right off the Eastern Market Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC