Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to DC, did you make the right choice?
Yes 23 50.00%
No 15 32.61%
Between Yes and No 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I agree, I think its all a matter of perspective. DC is definitly a world class city (because of movies and politics) so many will come here. IMO -- I think Chicago is much more diverse than DC, Chicago is just not as integrated (and while DC is no shining star, Chicago sets the bar on "zones"). Example: Chicago has a PR neighbhorhood.....not a hispanic neighborhood, but a bonafide PR neighborhood, I am unaware of a PR neighborhood in DC. And in Chicago, here is the downside if someone from PR was living in the Loop they would get all the funny stares in the world, but south loop or Hyde Park they are fine....

I think DC metro is extremely segregated, less so in the district but its still there. I think there is the melting pot aspect, but you cannot ignore the zoned areas for white and black. That is an ugly mark on DC, that is well hidden outside of the metro area.

Ask anyone not from Chicago where blacks live in Chicago, and its "South side?" ask, anyone not from DC where blacks live, and its like "what do you mean, I thought all people lived together like NYC".

What are you talking about?

Apparently you are unaware of the huge numbers of individuals from El Salvador, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Korea etc. etc. who live in both the DC metro area INCLUDING the city itself. "Zones" for black people? Huh? In one sentence there are "Puerto Rican" neighborhoods in NYC, (not Hispanic) but in another DC "zones" its African American community? Wouldn't you tout that as a neighborhood, were it in NYC? Is there some sort of compound where we house our majority African American population that I am unaware of? Did you stay here for a weekend or actually *live* in the city?

I stand by my initial assessment. Calling DC "a step down" betrays your bias. Got it. You don't like it. That's fair, you are entitled to dislike the city for any number of reasons. But I think saying its not diverse is about the silliest thing I have ever heard. As for "funny stares" -- never experienced it in DC. Never got harrassed for walking around with friends of all colors and stripes, dating outside my race or chatting with someone in a different language. Some people let their unhappiness with a place cloud reality....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM

361 posts, read 854,383 times
“Diversity” is of course relative. The scale of NYC’s diversity is unlike any city probably in all of North America. Natives learn to *tolerate* it, while the average non-native just gawks at it from a distance. But I’ve seen people come from other parts of the country to the DC area (MoCo, Fairfax, Prince William) and are shocked by the influx of immigrants this area has seen in the last 30 years. I hear the “nobody speaks English” rant almost daily.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
dc has a lot of hoods that diverse people
have no reason to even go to, unless they
run some type of convenient store or are
police officers; so people who say it is not
kinda segregated have not seen all parts
of the city.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 AM

^^

You could say that about any city. And if you are living in an ethnic enclave, you may no reason to go to neighborhoods like Cleveland Park.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
What are you talking about?

Apparently you are unaware of the huge numbers of individuals from El Salvador, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Korea etc. etc. who live in both the DC metro area INCLUDING the city itself. "Zones" for black people? Huh? In one sentence there are "Puerto Rican" neighborhoods in NYC, (not Hispanic) but in another DC "zones" its African American community? Wouldn't you tout that as a neighborhood, were it in NYC? Is there some sort of compound where we house our majority African American population that I am unaware of? Did you stay here for a weekend or actually *live* in the city?

I stand by my initial assessment. Calling DC "a step down" betrays your bias. Got it. You don't like it. That's fair, you are entitled to dislike the city for any number of reasons. But I think saying its not diverse is about the silliest thing I have ever heard. As for "funny stares" -- never experienced it in DC. Never got harrassed for walking around with friends of all colors and stripes, dating outside my race or chatting with someone in a different language. Some people let their unhappiness with a place cloud reality....
I said DC is diverse, I said what it is not is integrated. Looking at SE and NE, and then looking at Manhattan or Queens pretty much sums that up. Before you run outside and grab the first person with an accent to disprove my point, try to have some empathy from someone coming from NYC. This thread is not about you or your neighborhood, its about the poster, and the poster asked a simple question

"Coming from NYC, whats DC like"
My base answer here is: "On race: Its diverse, but assuming that I know what life is like in NYC, you will be missing what you had if you come to DC" I think that is a fair point.

I dont see it any other way than that, and when you throw in Arlington and PG county into the mix, the point gets even stronger.

DC is too new, too young, too gentrified and too confused about its identity to be reasobably compared to any of the other cities, and that is my main point. DC has racial issues (like many other cities) this isnt some racial utopia, and neither is NYC, but certain strides that NYC has managed to make over the last 100 years, DC is still coping with and that is some of the value that is lost when you change cities.

Last edited by vicnice; 06-25-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
^^

You could say that about any city. And if you are living in an ethnic enclave, you may no reason to go to neighborhoods like Cleveland Park.

yep.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Numbers don't lie:

New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

DC is a much much smaller city with *far* fewer white people than NYC, 13% of foreign born residents, and a healthy Hispanic population. NYC has a much larger population of Aisans, more white people and approx 7% more foreign born residents.

Seems to me both places are healthily diverse.

DC is "young"? Really? New? Yeah, we just founded it on the banks of the Potomac last summer. Gentrified? Okay. But even so, interesting that we have significantly fewer white people than NYC and yet wear that "gentrified" label. Maybe because many of the white people have jobs instead of hanging out in bars pretending to contemplate the merits of postmodernism?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM

^ a lot of unemployed and illiterate, aids-infested blacks in dc
compared to other cities in the u.s.; so what's that all about?
that's discouraging enough right there to make you not want
to move there.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
Quote:
Numbers don't lie:

New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

DC is a much much smaller city with *far* fewer white people than NYC, 13% of foreign born residents, and a healthy Hispanic population. NYC has a much larger population of Aisans, more white people and approx 7% more foreign born residents.

Seems to me both places are healthily diverse.

DC is "young"? Really? New? Yeah, we just founded it on the banks of the Potomac last summer. Gentrified? Okay. But even so, interesting that we have significantly fewer white people than NYC and yet wear that "gentrified" label. Maybe because many of the white people have jobs instead of hanging out in bars pretending to contemplate the merits of postmodernism?
Please define how NE and SE constitute integration? Ive said (multiple times) that DC is diverse not integrated. Read the defition below and tell me how NE/SE play into that, and then exand it to PG vs NOVA. I bet one virtual dollar that you cant.

Quote:
Definition
in·te·gra·tion
[ ìntə gráysh'n ]

NOUN

1. equal access for all: the process of opening a group, community, place, or organization to all, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or social class

2. acceptance into community: the process of becoming an accepted member of a group or community

3. combination: a combination of parts or objects that work together well

Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,714 times
I poked a sleeping bear didn't I? Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC