Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to DC, did you make the right choice?
Yes 23 50.00%
No 15 32.61%
Between Yes and No 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,542,730 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if you can really classify me as "from" NYC but I did live there for a little while and I will always love that place. I've also lived in a handful of other places, Atlanta for the longest since I left the nest. I'm a fairly recent arrival to the DC area and I love it so far. It's a good compromise between NYC and Atlanta. It has a bit of the cosmopolitan flavor and urbanity(even if toned down a few notches) of New York but it also is a bit more laid back and manageable.

I just got back from a weekend up in NYC and it really stood out how filthy the place can be and how physically demanding it can be just getting around rushing in and out of the subway. Part of that still appeals to me due to the "struggle" mentality but I have honestly softened up since I've moved away.

Anyway, DC has really impressed me. NYC will always blow it away in terms of scale and sheer stimulation but DC offers quite a bit considering it's a 10th of NYC's size. The museums here are top notch and the neighborhoods and natural settings are gorgeous. There's all sorts of cultural opportunities and the place is quite diverse.

And NYC is usually 4 hours or less away depending on your conveyance of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 PM

34 posts, read 108,732 times
As someone who moved to DC from NYC, I can personally say I like DC much better. But, of course, that's a matter of opinion. Lots of people love NY- I have many friends that do. But, personally, while its a great city to visit, I didn't want to make it my life long home. To echo another poster's comment, I find DC more manageable. You still get all of the big city stuff like public transit, museums (in DC, they're often free!), entertainment venues, lots of varied bars/restaurants, etc. But, its not quite as hurried and not quite as big as NYC. And there's certainly fewer people here- the population is less dense. The metro is cleaner. There are more trees and grass here than in most of NYC (Central Park aside, obviously). In my neighborhood at least, people say hello to each other on the street. I find I really like all of these things.

But, if you're really into the arts, fashion, and being trendy, NYC is more likely to be your place than DC (not that you can't like these things in DC or there's no place for them, but NYC just has them on another level). As others have mentioned, while DC does have some pretty good restaurants of all different varieties (and more are being added all of the time), we still aren't quite on the level that NYC has. I'm sorry. As much as I love DC, its just not as big of a food mecca as NY is- part of the density point above. There's just not the population to support multiple restaurants on every block like you can find in NY.

Anyhow, I hope that info helps. Really, in the end, whether or not you prefer DC or NY is a personal choice. There's plenty like me who prefer DC. And plenty others who can't stand it and love NY. And yet others who decide to move far, far away from both.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM

64 posts, read 243,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I always giggle when someone says DC is diverse. You mean like blacks in PG and SE, and whites in SW and VA? Or do you mean like Lawyers on K street, and non profit in Dupont Circle. There are HUNDREDS of threads that complain about this in the DC forum. DC is probably OVERALL the most sterile place Ive ever been, (and Ive been to lots of cities). NYC defines diverse, and this is coming from a DC native. Tell me when you see a whole city block of Hasidic Jews, or a REAL Panamanian (not just hispanic) neighbhorhood in DC.

Just reading through the "debate" that sparked up, and as an informal observer, I have to say that you changed your agrument from the above, to demanding the other poster to tell you how DC is integrated. As a current resident and former NYC resident (9 yrs) I disagree with you on both points.

The other posts showed that DC is, in fact, very diverse, especially when compared with a city almost 20 times bigger, population-wise. "Integration" as you defined, is not something you can pull up stats on. The answer comes with living, working, and interacting inside a city. Because you couldn't disprove that DC is diverse (as you originally stated) you retreated to another argument-- that DC is not integrated. You pointed out two neighborhoods, one of which I lived in when I first moved here (NE).

I can speak from experience that I consider DC to be a very integrated place. Though my neighborhood had a distinct lack of white, middle class families, I had neighbors from all over the world. I lived across the street from one of the largest deaf colleges in the US and regularly had interaction with individuals from the deaf culture (yes, it is an actual "culture"). I was even able to pick up some sign language. My landlady was from Trinidad and regularly invited me over for wonderful food and introductions to her extended family. There was crime, and one has to always be careful and aware, but I was never the target of any racial or ethnic slurs or attention. I also work downtown and was always impressed at the sheer numbers of educated and powerful men and women from a wide range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

Truly, I think that people who are not inclined to like a place come on this board and trash others who do. I see it all the time. The NYC board is one of the most vehement and ready to pounce on anyone who doesn't adore the city. My original answer to this question stands-- I prefer DC. I don't give two figs about the NYC restaurant scene, goofy club kids who think they are the next fashion or music god, or the need to struggle through dirt, grime and other people to do something as simple as board a subway train. I like DC better for my purposes, though I think both NYC and DC are way too expensive to consider a "forever" home. I am not sorry I left Brooklyn. It sounds like you are not sorry you left DC. To each his/her own. Just don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,863,023 times
^^^^!

I wasn't going to respond, because it was clear that the other poster just wanted to argue, but I appreciate the observations. Obviously the guy/gal has never been to H St NE or recently to Anacostia. But I didn't want to get into a p***ing match with someone who just doesn't like the city. I appreciate the impartial observations!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM

27,730 posts, read 28,848,621 times
So far, 50% of voters are saying they made the right decision to move to DC. Another 20% say they at least didn't make the wrong decision.

Sounds to me like a lot of ex-New Yorkers think DC is a good value overall.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

103 posts, read 270,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So far, 50% of voters are saying they made the right decision to move to DC. Another 20% say they at least didn't make the wrong decision.

Sounds to me like a lot of ex-New Yorkers think DC is a good value overall.
Yes, looks like DC is not that bad to NYers.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM

708 posts, read 1,207,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastthemiddle View Post
Just reading through the "debate" that sparked up, and as an informal observer, I have to say that you changed your agrument from the above, to demanding the other poster to tell you how DC is integrated. As a current resident and former NYC resident (9 yrs) I disagree with you on both points.

The other posts showed that DC is, in fact, very diverse, especially when compared with a city almost 20 times bigger, population-wise. "Integration" as you defined, is not something you can pull up stats on. The answer comes with living, working, and interacting inside a city. Because you couldn't disprove that DC is diverse (as you originally stated) you retreated to another argument-- that DC is not integrated. You pointed out two neighborhoods, one of which I lived in when I first moved here (NE).

I can speak from experience that I consider DC to be a very integrated place. Though my neighborhood had a distinct lack of white, middle class families, I had neighbors from all over the world. I lived across the street from one of the largest deaf colleges in the US and regularly had interaction with individuals from the deaf culture (yes, it is an actual "culture"). I was even able to pick up some sign language. My landlady was from Trinidad and regularly invited me over for wonderful food and introductions to her extended family. There was crime, and one has to always be careful and aware, but I was never the target of any racial or ethnic slurs or attention. I also work downtown and was always impressed at the sheer numbers of educated and powerful men and women from a wide range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

Truly, I think that people who are not inclined to like a place come on this board and trash others who do. I see it all the time. The NYC board is one of the most vehement and ready to pounce on anyone who doesn't adore the city. My original answer to this question stands-- I prefer DC. I don't give two figs about the NYC restaurant scene, goofy club kids who think they are the next fashion or music god, or the need to struggle through dirt, grime and other people to do something as simple as board a subway train. I like DC better for my purposes, though I think both NYC and DC are way too expensive to consider a "forever" home. I am not sorry I left Brooklyn. It sounds like you are not sorry you left DC. To each his/her own. Just don't argue for the sake of arguing.
I don't know what you want me to say, this is a forum board, and disagreements of opinion happen. Welcome to the internet. I disagree with your disagreeing with my post (see how easy it is).

Here is my beef: I work with people that live and move all over the country, and one of my most major pet peeves is when someone "oversells" a city (especially DC). That is a ton of wasted time, money, and effort because people cant call a spade a spade. The whole diverse and integration thing is a problem in DC (many threads here on that issue) I call B.S. when people say you can be anywhere and do anything in DC because its an integrated wonderland where everyone shares coke cola and goes skipping through rainbows.

NYC is doing a little better than DC in that area. I dunno whatelse to say. Just my opinion. Don't like it feel free to disagree.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,292,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
The biggest initial drawback was how small "urban" DC seemed, even compared to just Manhattan which is what, 1/3rd the physical size of DC? You could always find something new to explore in the NY area, just between Manhattan. Brooklyn and maybe close-in Queens. If transplants are still in their youthful "explorer" phases, DC is quick to exhaust and can get boring. Most also miss the variety and quality of reasonably priced food you can get all over NY. For my tastes NY can keep it nightlife, over-commercialization, flaunted wealth and grime.
You hit the nail on the head. I had a moment living in DC when I realised that I knew almost every restaurant within the L'Enfant City. Then I knew it was just too small. I love that I'll never run out of restaurants in New York, don't have to go to the suburbs to get good ethnic food at a reasonable price (Queens, you're good for that sole reason), and there will always be streets I haven't travelled down back here in New York.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM

144 posts, read 260,212 times
I lived in NYC for 4 years and DC for almost 6. If I could do it again, I think I'd stay in NYC...here's why:

1. A lot more things to do. Sure, there are things to do in DC as well, but nowhere near as much. There's something about NYC that makes you want to get out of bed and have a really fulfilling day - even if it's jogging in Central Park and lounging out in the Village. DC doesn't do that for me - you'll get "museum'd" out within a year.

2. The emptiness of DC. There are quite a few areas in DC where you can walk blocks without seeing anyone...this forces you to basically go to the same neighborhoods to feel like you haven't been left behind in some kind of second coming of Christ.

3. Everyone works for the Govm't (including me). There are really no diversity in careers, almost all jobs lead to the government - directly or indirectly. You can imagine how short the conversations are on that one.

4. Restaurants are relatively bad. They have NYC prices without NYC quality. It's really shameful...one of my friends theorized that they can afford to be sub-par unlike NYC, since this town is largely "subsidized" by government - meaning safe jobs and consistent supply of people...whereas in NYC, the ebb and flow of competition and people creates an "up and out" policy for restaurants. Yeah...I have to agree with her on that one.

5. It's a "somewhere in the middle city". I have two best friends, one from NYC and one from San Diego...neither one of them likes DC. The NYC friend...well, because he feels DC is boring (kind of is), and the San Diego friend, because everything here is all government all the time...and he's sick of seeing people sucking of the ***** of government...he also likes the beach, so what can you do.

As for what's around DC, I really like the Shenandoah, Appalachians, etc. But I only go hiking about once a month/month and a half, and camping even more seldomly....so equally, I can settle on a day trip out of NYC to the Finger Lakes, Adirondacks, etc.

Lastly, I agree with what everyone here says - DC is really laid back and the rents can be relatively cheap - but I would presume that you'd get a good salary in NYC. If not, and you're just plain tired of NYC, what something more laid back, have friends in DC (DC is not so easy a place to make new friends) and don't mind a government-environment, then welcome to DC.

I, for one hand, am looking at San Francisco and NYC once again.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 AM

13,016 posts, read 18,883,413 times
I've learned that no matter the city, opinions on it run the gamut. Eighty-five percent of the American population stays put and doesn't want to move. Their happiness and contentment come from within, or there are other things that keep them where they are with no designs on moving. Every city, town and rural area has its wonderful points and its not so wonderful points. Live where you work and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC