Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to DC, did you make the right choice?
Yes 23 50.00%
No 15 32.61%
Between Yes and No 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 10:50 AM

269 posts, read 287,810 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention I have a washer and dryer in my unit and that’s huge! In every single place I lived in in NYC, I had to either walk to the laundromat or go to the basement of my building to do laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 12:05 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
I forgot to mention I have a washer and dryer in my unit and that’s huge! In every single place I lived in in NYC, I had to either walk to the laundromat or go to the basement of my building to do laundry.

I use to be realtor in nyc and surprisingly I showed many apartments that included a washer/dryer in the unit. I’m talking about Flatbush also. Not Park slope

Old 01-01-2021, 12:10 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
It’s easier in terms of living day to day life like grocery shopping, commuting back and forth to work (before the work from home order). Going out socially, walking down the street without tons of ppl in your way. Also, I feel that ppl are friendlier in DC compared to NYC. That’s just been my experience. My quality of living has greatly improved in DC compared to NYC. The building I live in now would cost maybe double or triple in NYC. But of course depending on ones circumstances and economic status, everyone’s experience is going to be totally different. I lucked out in picking the right neighborhood for me. I love the area I live and my building. When I was first apartment searching in DC last year, I wasn’t impressed at first because I didn’t care for the neighborhoods I was looking in. I wasn’t familiar with DC or what neighborhoods were safe & not safe.
Where did you live in NYC? cause it sounds like you lived in Manhattan.

I live in Brooklyn and the crowds, access to groceries seems similar. I don’t think the rent prices in Brooklyn or double or triple that of DC either. One thing I will say is the parking in Dc in my opinion is the worst experience ever.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I use to be realtor in nyc and surprisingly I showed many apartments that included a washer/dryer in the unit. I’m talking about Flatbush also. Not Park slope
Only one of my friends had a washer and dryer in her unit but she lived in a luxury building in Dumbo.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Where did you live in NYC? cause it sounds like you lived in Manhattan.

I live in Brooklyn and the crowds, access to groceries seems similar. I don’t think the rent prices in Brooklyn or double or triple that of DC either. One thing I will say is the parking in Dc in my opinion is the worst experience ever.
I also lived in Brooklyn but worked in Manhattan in midtown. The crowds aren’t similar at all, not even for Brooklyn. I said specifically for my apartment building in DC that the price would be double or triple in NYC. I don’t drive yet so I can’t speak on the parking. As far as grocery shopping, I’m not talking about access. Access to stores in NYC is better however, it’s the experience of shopping. The lines, amount of ppl in the store (pre covid of course). In DC I rarely have to stand in long lines, there’s not as many ppl in the stores, bigger aisles etc.

When I first moved to DC I worked with a lady who had just moved to DC from NYC and she told me she felt her quality of life had improved after moving to DC. You still get the city life but it’s not as stressful.

Everyone’s experience is completely different though.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
I've been to NYC a lot on business. The two cities are very different. Both have a lot to offer. Being happy in either is a matter of embracing with that city provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC