Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:56 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Where are the most needed and feasible metro extensions in DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Dulles airport, I mean Reagan is right on the yellow line and I suppose you can take a shuttle to BWI from the Greenbelt metro so Dulles would be an option. Tysons? Is there a metro near Tysons Corner? I can't think of anything, I'm not a suburb guy, mostly stay within the city limits.

MAYBE Baltimore....but you have the Marc train so....

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
What about a stop on Georgia Avenue? There's a huge gap between the Petworth and Silver Spring stations.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Dulles airport, I mean Reagan is right on the yellow line and I suppose you can take a shuttle to BWI from the Greenbelt metro so Dulles would be an option. Tysons? Is there a metro near Tysons Corner? I can't think of anything, I'm not a suburb guy, mostly stay within the city limits.

The 5A Metrobus goes from DC to Dulles with only a few stops. Metro to Tyson's is already being built.

Extend Red Line to Olney, the Green line to Laurel or Ft. Meade, the Orange to Bowie, the Blue to Upper Marlboro, the Green to Andrews, extend the Blue to Lorton or Woodbridge, and re-route the Yellow down Columbia Pike to NOVA CC. Those are my wishes. Most will never happen.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post

This extension has been under construction for 4 years and will open next year. The final portion to dulles will open in 2018.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What about a stop on Georgia Avenue? There's a huge gap between the Petworth and Silver Spring stations.

On Georgia Ave
Shepard Park
Brightwood
Parkview
HU

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
A seperated blue line - Rosslyn-Georgetown - Convention Center - Union Station - Atlas District - and back to Benning Road.

This would A. relieve congestion at the key transfer stations - L'Enfant, Gallery Place and Metro Center. Any other additional lines would further burder those stations. B. Provide service to Georgetown for the first time. C. Would improve access to several areas north and east of downtown, increasing property values and tax revenues, and possibly reducing auto commutes (esp from NoVa) D. Improve access to Union Station E. Relieve congestion on the Potomac River crossings - no post Silver Line extensions in NoVa are really possible as long as all trains must pass through either the existing rosslyn-foggy bottom tunnel, or the 14th street bridge.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
They could create a metro line that mirrored 495.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Correction, they SHOULD create a metro line that mirrored 495. Hub and spoke simply doesn't work for edge city to edge city commuting.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post

they could, but it would be VERY expensive. Almost certainly not on the list of the most needed or most feasible.

meanwhile suburb to suburb transit IS being added - the purple line from New Carrolton to Bethesda (if and when Md manages to fund it) and the new HOT lanes in NoVa will have express bus service to Tysons. And MD and VA are looking at ways to reestablish express bus service between MoCo and Tysons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC