Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,490 times

Advertisements

i will be working at andrews AFB and attending school in DC. I really want to live in DC, but i am not sure what neighborhood is best. my budget is around 1300. i tried to research how to use the metro to get there, but i will need transportation around base. i am 23, single so i dont mind living in the city with a long commute. i have also been looking on craigslist to live with roomates, but again i am not sure which location would be best. help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
I don't know about public transportation for Andrews, but if you "need transportation around base" I'm assuming you might need a car. If that's the case, Capitol Hill, Navy Yard or the Southwest Waterfront would be the best DC neighborhoods for driving to Andrews. Any other DC neighborhood would be either a longer drive, ghetto or just not that interesting for a young single person. $1300 is certainly doable for a studio in those neighborhoods, or you could live with roommates and pay less.
Capitol Hill in particular would be good if you like nightlife because it is close to all the bars, clubs and restaurants on H St.

If public transportation is possible, you could consider living near the green line in a neighborhood like Columbia Heights and then taking the green all the way out to Branch Ave, where there might be some shuttle to Andrews. Driving from the Hill would probably be more convenient though.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,490 times
i have a car i just didnt know if i could somehow use public transportation instead. i just hate driving. i was thinking capitol hill. thanks for the help

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Yeah I'm going to second Capitol Hill. I knew someone who had a car in that neighborhood and worked out that way. He had an easy reverse commute.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM

29 posts, read 98,002 times
Terra I work at Andrews. You can definitely take the metro (Andrews pays up to 125 every month. Just take the green line all the way to branch avenue. Once you are at Branch avenue take the k12 bus to Andrews which normally takes only 5 mins.

The k12 bus schedule is on the DC metro website. Just make sure you get to branch avenue before I scheduled bus departure and you are good to go. It's hell of a lot less stressful than driving to Andrews. Well for me at least, since I live in NW DC. Feel free to private message me if you have questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC