Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC worth it?
Yes 24 42.11%
No 33 57.89%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times

Advertisements

Considering everything, do you get what you pay for in the DC area or it's overpriced for what you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 AM

24 posts, read 59,625 times
I was actually thinking about this question this morning as I was walking to Starbucks. My sister and I had recently discussed how DC seems like a "big city" to her, but I have gotten so used to the pace, it actually seems small to me. So then I started to think about other cities I could "upgrade" too, but their cons kept bringing me back to DC. All of this is subjective - as is this question - but here was my thought process:

- Chicago: Awesome culture, horrible winter weather
- LA: Great food and weather, horrible public transportation infrastructure
-SF: Great food and culture, decent weather, even more expensive than DC
- Seattle: Great food and culture, meh weather, have to have a car (at least I would for the jobs I would be able to get)
- NYC: Great culture, around the same prices; but a little overwhelmingly big for me.
- Boston: Great food, decent culture, meh weather, more expensive, less public transportation and I just never gel-ed with the city
- Austin: Great food and culture, cheap as all get out, meh weather, in the middle of Texas adds two to three hours for my frequent work travel.

So I'll probably head to Austin or go international next, but I have never been swayed that there is a city out there that is that much better than DC is for me. I've always managed to find affordable housing in great locations, I love the pace and have finally found my way into the arts and tech scenes, have a great group of friends, and although it has its issues - metro is still awesome compared to other major cities in the US.

Again, totally subjective, but thought I would share while I drink my coffee.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM

im pretty sure nyc is more expensive, even the burbs-can't find decent 1 bd apts for less than $1700

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
In the grand scheme of things, most definitely yes.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmella View Post
I was actually thinking about this question this morning as I was walking to Starbucks. My sister and I had recently discussed how DC seems like a "big city" to her, but I have gotten so used to the pace, it actually seems small to me. So then I started to think about other cities I could "upgrade" too, but their cons kept bringing me back to DC. All of this is subjective - as is this question - but here was my thought process:

- Chicago: Awesome culture, horrible winter weather
- LA: Great food and weather, horrible public transportation infrastructure
-SF: Great food and culture, decent weather, even more expensive than DC
- Seattle: Great food and culture, meh weather, have to have a car (at least I would for the jobs I would be able to get)
- NYC: Great culture, around the same prices; but a little overwhelmingly big for me.
- Boston: Great food, decent culture, meh weather, more expensive, less public transportation and I just never gel-ed with the city
- Austin: Great food and culture, cheap as all get out, meh weather, in the middle of Texas adds two to three hours for my frequent work travel.

So I'll probably head to Austin or go international next, but I have never been swayed that there is a city out there that is that much better than DC is for me. I've always managed to find affordable housing in great locations, I love the pace and have finally found my way into the arts and tech scenes, have a great group of friends, and although it has its issues - metro is still awesome compared to other major cities in the US.

Again, totally subjective, but thought I would share while I drink my coffee.
Don't say that outside of this forum. Angelenos will bite your head off.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
It's not that Chicago winters are horrible, its how LONG the winter is in Chicago.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's not that Chicago winters are horrible, its how LONG the winter is in Chicago.
This. I can deal with the cold. I couldn't deal with the SIX MONTHS of gray.... Get to work, its dark. Leave work, its dark.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
This. I can deal with the cold. I couldn't deal with the SIX MONTHS of gray.... Get to work, its dark. Leave work, its dark.
It needs to stop snowing by Easter.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,674 times
Chicago winters are long AND horrible. I can deal with 20-30 degree mornings. Chicagos mornings are like 5-10 degrees yuck

Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM

btw how come people try to say dc is as expensive as nyc?
i look at apts in dc burbs and seems like u can find a newer, decent one for $1200 with parking and w/d, those kinda apts round here cost like $1700
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC