Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,017 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family may be moving to DC and I was hoping I could hear some thoughts on safety around K street as well as Capitol Hill and nearby areas.

From my internet research so far, people often recommended searching for a home south of H street and west of 15th street...but most of those conversations were over a year old and I get the feeling things are changing fast in this part of town..?

We have lived in NYC before (currently we live in Bangkok) and spent some time in New Orleans as well, where a block or two could make a huge difference in terms of security. We'd love to live centrally, with access to a decent public elementary school (J.O. Wilson, which takes kids from K street, seems to have a good reputation.)

I know it is a subjective topic but I would love to hear some fresh opinions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,635 times
K street northwest?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
If you've lived in New Orleans then rest easy. DC is way safer.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM

40 posts, read 67,008 times
The OP is referring to K Street NE, in the neighborhood a bit southeast of NoMa and north of the H Street NE entertainment district.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM

246 posts, read 588,940 times
J.O. Wilson does not have a good reputation. If you want to send your children to a good public school in Capitol Hill, you should look at Brent and Maury's districts. They are quite pricey though. Are you sure you want capitol hill? I'm not knocking it, as I think it might be a great option, but you seem to be working on not enough information (i.e., not identifying quadrants, thinking J.O. Wilson is good, etc.).

Maybe if you gave us a little more of what you are looking for, your budget (this place is astronomically more expensive than either BKK or NO), and where you will be working, etc., we could help lead you the right direction. You can definitely find a good option that is as safe as Bangkok or New Orleans (I have spent a great deal of time in both, so I have a good understanding of the level of crime allowable), but honestly, I'm not sure if you are looking in the right place to do so.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM

116 posts, read 212,634 times
In terms of schools, take a look at greatschools.org. You can find out a lot about the school including the test scores. J.O. Wilson has some pretty poor test scores, although the building was renovated recently and is quite nice. Another option is to apply to a charter school, although that can be hit or miss, and admission is by city-wide lottery. I would comfortable sending a pre-schooler to J.O. Wilson although elementary would be different story. Take a look at the test scores on Great Schools, so you can get an idea of how the schools compare. DCPS's website also has a lot of information available. Compare them to Brent, Peabody/Watkins, or Maury, just to limit it to schools on Capitol Hill.

The area itself is fairly safe now. (I've lived nearby for approximately 8 years). There are a lot of restaurants and bars nearby, although with kids, you won't be frequenting them too much.

How long are you planning on staying? Are you planning on renting or buying? How old are your kids? The answers given will depend on that.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,017 times
Hello,

OP here. Thanks for your responses. We expect to be in DC for about five years. My kids will be four and six by the time we arrive. Have been doing some more research and Brent, Maury or Watkins schools certainly do seem to be the best performers in in capitol Hill. I think the zone for Brent would be too expensive for us, but Maury and Watkins are a possibility. It looks like the Watkins zone stretches all the way south to the river. Would the areas in that zone east of 15th St still be reasonably safe? Or should I try to limit my housing search to west of 15th st?

We will also check out some areas in the NW, on the metro line, once we arrive.....

Many thanks!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgirl_bkk View Post
Hello,

OP here. Thanks for your responses. We expect to be in DC for about five years. My kids will be four and six by the time we arrive. Have been doing some more research and Brent, Maury or Watkins schools certainly do seem to be the best performers in in capitol Hill. I think the zone for Brent would be too expensive for us, but Maury and Watkins are a possibility. It looks like the Watkins zone stretches all the way south to the river. Would the areas in that zone east of 15th St still be reasonably safe? Or should I try to limit my housing search to west of 15th st?

We will also check out some areas in the NW, on the metro line, once we arrive.....

Many thanks!

The area from 15th to 19th near east capital is changing - if you walk around there you see houses being renovated, and a new apt complex on East capital. There are newcomers and old residents (not all of whom are criminals, of course). I dont know the exact crime rates, but MPD has a crime mapper app. I also do not know the school boundaries.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 PM

116 posts, read 212,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgirl_bkk View Post
Hello,

Many thanks!
Check the school zones. Watkins is at 12th and D SE, Payne Elementary is on 14th and C SE and Tyler Elementary is at 11th and G SE. It almost shocks me at just how close those Elementary schools are to each other.

Here is DCPS's school finding tool.
http://dcatlas.dcgis.dc.gov/schools/

I was playing with it and an address at 13th and C would be zoned for Payne not Watkins.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC