Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 AM

131 posts, read 210,033 times

Advertisements

Hello all;

Well for a little background information on myself, I live in Takoma Park, MD, I'm 19 years old, I attend Montgomery College, my grades aren't the best but that's not because of the lack of intelligence per se, but rather the lack of motivation to do better, I have a deep passion for politics and I'm more of a guy to look towards the future as opposed to the present. Now after saying that, I know that DC should be the epicenter of politics and should be where I would jump start my political career but the sad reality is that it just hasn't happened yet. I barley know anyone here although I've lived in the area since June of last year, but I am a sociable guy but the people I've met in DC thus far just seem to 'uppity'.

I don't believe in political biases as I lean independent in my views, and that's what seems to hurt me the most here. I've tried to align myself back with the Democratic Party, but I have no luck with that. I'm not necessarily looking for a paid-internship, but maybe just a unpaid-internship or even something as simple as volunteering. I want to do something as someday I would like to be in the political realm for my career. I just need the experience of working within the local political realm to jump start my career and ulitametly give me the motivation to do better in school.

If someone could please just list where I could volunteer for politics at in DC/MD/VA and I'll greatly appreciate it. This desire for me to do much more in life has kept me up all night (it's 5:28 AM now) and I decided to rather sit on my butt this summer and read political articles, go out and do something political.

Thank you to whomever this pertains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
Every county has an office for the two main political parties, you could try contacting them. Volunteering for elections when available is another opportunity. There are also internships in state legislatures if you're a good student, contact your legislator. You could run for the school board or better yet run for an office within your college.

The best thing to do is to get as much life experience and of a wide variety as you can so you understand peoples lives and the consequences of any decisions you may make as their representative.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:28 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Start as an intern for a municipal politician and learn the ropes.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 PM

199 posts, read 334,228 times
I'd suggest looking into the Montgomery County Young Democrats if you're still interested in aligning yourself with the Democratic Party. You'll have no shortage of opportunities to volunteer your time and effort, although it will not be particularly glamorous or exciting work. Expect lots of phone banking and canvassing for local (think municipal and county-level) politicians and initiatives. The important thing is that you should always be networking with those local politicos and party officials and paying your dues by doing solid volunteer work. If you don't already have some good connections (e.g. your parents are well-connected politically or are big-time donors), then your game plan is all about building a good reputation at the local level and networking with the right people. This is definitely the slow and steady approach by the way - a lot of my friends have been volunteering at the local/county level for 5+ years.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
I'd suggest looking into the Montgomery County Young Democrats if you're still interested in aligning yourself with the Democratic Party. You'll have no shortage of opportunities to volunteer your time and effort, although it will not be particularly glamorous or exciting work. Expect lots of phone banking and canvassing for local (think municipal and county-level) politicians and initiatives. The important thing is that you should always be networking with those local politicos and party officials and paying your dues by doing solid volunteer work. If you don't already have some good connections (e.g. your parents are well-connected politically or are big-time donors), then your game plan is all about building a good reputation at the local level and networking with the right people. This is definitely the slow and steady approach by the way - a lot of my friends have been volunteering at the local/county level for 5+ years.
Excellent post I must say; every word was greatly appreciated and I will rep. you for that. Once again I'm up until 5:00 AM doing research and motivating myself to push harder for my desires to become involved with politics; the link you provided was excellent and I'll be utilizing it to its full extent. Are there any more suggestions or pointers you could give me? I'm not connected politically to anyone unfortunately, but I have the charisma and motivation to do great things for the greater good of the populace also I know the ins and outs of politics fairly well for my age therefore I'm willing to take any advice of have and run with it.

Thank you

Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
Hello all;

Well for a little background information on myself, I live in Takoma Park, MD, I'm 19 years old, I attend Montgomery College, my grades aren't the best but that's not because of the lack of intelligence per se, but rather the lack of motivation to do better, I have a deep passion for politics and I'm more of a guy to look towards the future as opposed to the present. Now after saying that, I know that DC should be the epicenter of politics and should be where I would jump start my political career but the sad reality is that it just hasn't happened yet. I barley know anyone here although I've lived in the area since June of last year, but I am a sociable guy but the people I've met in DC thus far just seem to 'uppity'.

I don't believe in political biases as I lean independent in my views, and that's what seems to hurt me the most here. I've tried to align myself back with the Democratic Party, but I have no luck with that. I'm not necessarily looking for a paid-internship, but maybe just a unpaid-internship or even something as simple as volunteering. I want to do something as someday I would like to be in the political realm for my career. I just need the experience of working within the local political realm to jump start my career and ulitametly give me the motivation to do better in school.

If someone could please just list where I could volunteer for politics at in DC/MD/VA and I'll greatly appreciate it. This desire for me to do much more in life has kept me up all night (it's 5:28 AM now) and I decided to rather sit on my butt this summer and read political articles, go out and do something political.

Thank you to whomever this pertains.
Try to get an internship on Capitol Hill. Go to Democratic GAIN thats a site where they advertise a lot of internships for Congress. Also the official House site has a weekly jobs bulletin, I got my internship from there back in the day Employment Information · House.gov

Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
Well I've emailed the people in charge of the Montgomery County Young Democrats and they are very nice people. I'm getting involved with them soon and it seems as if our agendas are like-minded. So once again thank you friend for this reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Try to get an internship on Capitol Hill. Go to Democratic GAIN thats a site where they advertise a lot of internships for Congress. Also the official House site has a weekly jobs bulletin, I got my internship from there back in the day Employment Information · House.gov
I printed off my resume yesterday for them and I plan on submitting it soon, is there any other advice you can give me? I'm all ears and looking to network as much as possible. Thank you for this reply as well and +1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC