Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM

16 posts, read 51,455 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to move from Australia and have some job offers firming up in the politics/labor relations field. As I'm just a couple of years out of college and would be looking at making between $40-$47k it was suggested to me that I look to live in Rosslyn (or somewhere around there) and commute. Any suggestions, thoughts etc would be great?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
That's a pretty low salary for the area, but it can be done but rent in Rosslyn is going to be expensive.

making that much you might want to consider getting a roommate, or group housing.

I made slightly more than that when I first moved to DC and was living in a 1 bedroom in Alexandria for nearly 1100 a month (no utilities). I didn't have a car so I managed fine but that was 8 years ago ...

Old 11-07-2007, 08:53 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,329 times
If you're planning to live with roommates, then I suggest looking at the Ballston-Court House corridor along the Orange Line in Arlington. You'll have plenty of housing options in safe and vibrant neighborhoods, as well as a reasonably convenient commute into D.C. Rosslyn is located between Court House and D.C. Despite some massive redevelopment efforts, the neighborhood -- in my view -- largely remains a sterile district of office buildings with little to offer compared to the neighborhoods to the west.

If you're planning to live alone, you'll have a difficult time affording housing in the neighborhoods above. I'd suggest looking at downtown Silver Spring in Maryland (on the Red Line) and the west end of Alexandria (off the Blue Line). Both of these areas have a lot to offer in terms of housing, amenities, and reasonable commutes into D.C. Make sure to visit any neighborhood first before you sign a lease.

Good Luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM

16 posts, read 51,455 times
Thanks guys,

Is craigslist still the best place to scope out flatmates?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,327 times
You could probably swing a studio or one of the older garden apartments in the Rosslyn area. I have a colleague that is in that range and has a studio in Crystal City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC