Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times

Advertisements

SW Waterfront/Capital Riverfront Development:

82 I Street SE (220 Units)
Randall School (550 Units)
Camden South Capitol (276 Units)
6th Street and Maine Avenue SW (109 Units of 2,250 total units)
The Wharf -- Parcel 4 (130 Units of 2,250 total units)
RiverFront on the Anacostia (200 Units)
909 Half Street (400 Units)
The Yards: 4th and Tingey SE (325 Units)
Sky House / Southwest Towers (530 Units)
Twelve12 (225 Units)
Town Center (401 Units)
Factory 202 (250 Units)
Akridge at Half Street (280 Units)
Half Street (340 Units)
90 V Street SW (97 Units)
Park Chelsea (433 Units)
Catching Up on Photos - Toll Brothers - JDLand.com: Near Southeast DC Redevelopment (250 Units)
Rumors of a New DC Whole Foods Gain Traction (400+ Units)

Capitol Riverfront Development: 7,427 Units
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
Skyhouse in SW will open in December. Other than that, all the development seems to be in the Navy Yard area, which as a SW resident is a little disconcerting b/c the Wharf redevelopment was suppose to start this year.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Skyhouse in SW will open in December. Other than that, all the development seems to be in the Navy Yard area, which as a SW resident is a little disconcerting b/c the Wharf redevelopment was suppose to start this year.

It still will. They are waiting for their building permit. Also, there are over 1,000 units being built in Waterfront Station.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 AM

We'll see, I've been incredibly disappointed by the slowness.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,333 times
"We'll see" definitely embodied the attitudes of my neighbors for a lot of years, and rightfully so. It seems like the start of large construction projects really drags through the permitting process here. There were developments that were in the 'coming soon' stage for 20 years. Even when we had ground breaking ceremonies, construction wouldn't actually break ground for one or two years. Some of that actually turned out to be really good, because the community had ample time to weigh in with their concerns and wishes (a little silver lining there).

I think we're solidly at the point where the commitment to investing in DC will wait out the slowness of DC's planning and permitting processes. That's easy for me to say because I'm looking back at projects that have moved around me. I clearly remember thinking "we'll see" on a number of them.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Here's another reason why I said it, Graduate USA pulled out of the plans like 2 weeks ago, so that's a huge void that the developers now have to fill. I believe the school was suppose to take about 200,000 square feet of space, now that's missing, and the first phase was suppose to start this year, and end around late 2015/early 2016. I'm also a homeowner, and while I'm not looking to strike it rich, I'd like to sell my condo at a decent enough price that I can buy another home. Delays like this affect the real estate of the area because they visit and see...what exactly?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Here's another reason why I said it, Graduate USA pulled out of the plans like 2 weeks ago, so that's a huge void that the developers now have to fill. I believe the school was suppose to take about 200,000 square feet of space, now that's missing, and the first phase was suppose to start this year, and end around late 2015/early 2016. I'm also a homeowner, and while I'm not looking to strike it rich, I'd like to sell my condo at a decent enough price that I can buy another home. Delays like this affect the real estate of the area because they visit and see...what exactly?
This is not a new development. Graduate School USA pulled out of the Wharf 2 years ago. The Wharf has been moving through the process included public meetings and gave a ground breaking of Q3 or Q4 of 2013 well after Graduate School USA pulled from the project.

Graduate School USA shelves plans to open campus in Southwest Waterfront development - The Washington Post

Jim Huske, a senior vice president at the Graduate School, said the administration informed developer Monty Hoffman, chief executive of PN Hoffman, that it would pull out of the project due to government cutbacks and budget uncertainty. “We had to move out of that and we let Monty know that probably a year and a half or two years ago now because the market became unstable,” Huske said.

Despite the delay, Hoffman said that he has applied for building permits. The Washington Kastles tennis team, whose stadium is located on the site currently, has been looking for a place to relocate to make way for construction.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Good catch, b/c I just saw that post article a week ago. So why announce it now?

BTW, we're in Q4 now, so it's either happening this year or it's not.

Last edited by DomRep; 10-22-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 AM

137 posts, read 252,995 times
I agree with the concerns over the pace of development in SW. The whole Waterfront Station has been a letdown; what happened to all of the retail and dining options? There are still just a bunch of vacancies amid the mediocre offerings that have moved in. Skyhouse has been pushed back already by at least 6 months from when it was supposed to open, and there isn't anything else new on the horizon in the quadrant.

I'm still sure that SW is going to someday be DC's "big new neighborhood", but the changes have been downright glacial.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,810 times
I live in SW. It's a great neighborhood but I too am frustrated by the slow progress being made with the redevelopment. The only reason I can think as to why there's so much vacant space at Waterfront Station is because the rents are too high. I guess the developer is making enough from the office tenant to not care much about the ground level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC