Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,974,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcguy67 View Post
A lack of 'big town fashion retail'? This is 'pretty much recent'? Saks opened in Chevy Chase in 1964, Neimans at Mazza in '78, and both at Tysons Galleria in 1988. These retailers don't pick locations out of a hat. They know (and I've worked for one of them) that this region has enough interest in fashion to support these stores - and has for decades. There are just 8 metros that can claim more than one N-M and we are one of them. This is not about being 'on par with other cities', a 'newly found culture', or any of these other ideas. It is purely a business decision. The retailers opening in CC have many years of knowing how well fashion and luxury does in the region and have the sales figures to prove it. They don't go on perception of an area's style - they go on facts.

As for the haters, something else to keep in mind. That $10.2M in Hermes sales would generate $586,500 in sales tax that will go to the city. And that's just one slice of this sales tax pie. I might not shop in these stores but I welcome them.
Let me calm down and whisper. We are talking about DC city center, not Tysons corner or Chevy Chase MD. There is a large group of culture groups that live in NOVA as well as MD that you don't find shopping in DC. This is as oppose to those that live on the outskirts of other cities like a NY but travel to the city aka "the world" such as Washington Heights (immigrants living in Manhattan city) or the Upper West Side.

I was specifically asking how DC city center was going to build around itself like LA did with surrounding neighborhoods and not stay so centralized/monopolized as DC is while pushing out the middle class. Can we have this conversation please without trying to "look cool"? You can't have an elite city with it only being for the elite because creativity will not prosper from the elite working 60 hour work weeks. Thank you.

Same question I ask about the MGM Grand coming to the NH but hasn't built the bordering cities around that area with any type of entertainment to keep them there without having to travel to DC. Same reason why AC in jersey is hurting. Failure to build the cities around itself.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Let me calm down and whisper. We are talking about DC city center, not Tysons corner or Chevy Chase MD. There is a large group of culture groups that live in NOVA as well as MD that you don't find shopping in DC. This is as oppose to those that live on the outskirts of other cities like a NY but travel to the city aka "the world" such as Washington Heights (immigrants living in Manhattan city) or the Upper West Side.

I was specifically asking how DC city center was going to build around itself like LA did with surrounding neighborhoods and not stay so centralized/monopolized as DC is while pushing out the middle class. Can we have this conversation please without trying to "look cool"? You can't have an elite city with it only being for the elite because creativity will not prosper from the elite working 60 hour work weeks. Thank you.

Same question I ask about the MGM Grand coming to the NH but hasn't built the bordering cities around that area with any type of entertainment to keep them there without having to travel to DC. Same reason why AC in jersey is hurting. Failure to build the cities around itself.
Calm down bro. No one is trying to look cool. It's just a freaking forum.

Your posts are really attacking

Old 06-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,735,121 times
This thread has gone on long enough.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC