Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,757,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaHonora View Post
Perhaps an impossible question? I've lived and worked downtown area for 6 years, now, apartment-rental living. I work a lot so I don't use the city like I thought I would for nightlife etc. Instead, I want to go home after work and see some trees, a little tranquility, maybe a bird. I can't commute in from as far away as Woodbridge, say, or Olney, Maryland etc. My commute will soon be to L'enfant Metro and I stay in city late for work, teaching until 10pm one or two nights a week. I've looked in Kensington, but its a bit out there.

I do have a great bike !

Can anybody suggest a neighborhood in this city? 16th street heights? Wesley Heights (expensive, but perhaps). Apartments I've looked at in McLean Gardens are pretty dark and out-dated, and not quite what I'm looking for. Highrises in Chevy Chase are perhaps close enough in, but that 's highrise apartment community living, etc. Arlington is so sprawled out--how does one even tackle the rental situation there without spending months on craigslist and driving around.

I have been diligent in my efforts to be imaginative, but have caved and ask for help !

Thanks so much, in advance !
I think near American University, you can get that. You can always move to Alexandria area, or Arlington metro.

If you really want trees, and you don't have to deal with morning traffic, go to Frederick, MD. That's a real country. But if you have half of your wits, move anywhere 10 miles of the White House and you can have a relax life. It's hard to find it, but the journey is what makes it worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 PM

22 posts, read 60,607 times
Thank you for your suggestion about AU area. Wish I could go that far out to Frederick MD, but, alas, it seems too far.

My commute is to l'Enfant Plaza Metro. From AU area looks like 50 min in transit no matter what combo. Sure wish Red line went into l'Enfant.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM

76 posts, read 181,007 times
I used to live in Silver Spring and work near L'Enfant. I also hated changing lines. You can walk from The Red Line in Chinatown to L'Enfant in about 20 minutes. It's not really a time saver, but it's doable if you just hate waiting for the connection.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM

22 posts, read 32,625 times
I live in Woodley Park, right next to Rock Creek Park and the zoo, so all I see out my windows are trees. It's like heaven to me, because I'm in the city, but feel far away from it. You can find some similar situations in Cleveland Park.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,820 times
Crestwood is bounded on three sides by Rock Creek Park. Several streets boarder the park. There's even an apartment building at Shepherd and 16th Street that backs up to the park.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM

361 posts, read 855,453 times
I used to live in an apartment in Cleveland Park facing Rock Creek park. I saw nothing but bird and trees from my window (and deer, possum, etc.).

Old 12-20-2013, 01:19 AM

Is Shepherd and 16th part of 16th street heights-Crestwood?

Thank you for your responses !

Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Technically 16th street heights is on the east side of 16th and Crestwood on the west The apartments are in Crestwood.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks for that clarification.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Further north there are sections of 16th Street Heights that are west of 16th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC