Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times

Advertisements

I agree with the Silver Spring suggestion. "Silver Spring" is a massive area; you want to be as close to downtown Silver Spring (zip 20910) as possible. For $1200 you can probably find a studio in an older building right in downtown or a 1br about .5 miles down Thayer Ave. or Sligo Ave. If you need more space than that, I also agree with the Hyattsville suggestion. That larger space does come with a price as Hyattsville has less amenities, restaurants, entertainment, etc. and has more quality of life issues (crime, poor schools, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
The place on Conn. Ave NW was likely in Chevy Chase. Most studios in that area are close to $1500 and can be difficult to get a place. West of RCP tends to be high demand.
Downtown Silver Spring, MD is not a bad suggestion. I live close to silver spring myself (in DC), and it's a great area, and you would want to be downtown. It would also be easier to drive to your job than chevy chase. Additionally rents have been going down there as supposed to up in many of the buildings as a result of all the new development inside DC. It's not a bad option, and not a far drive. Silver Spring is very walkable, diverse, and safe. A big reason I live where I do is because it's close to downtown silver spring and old Takoma Park. Though Silver Spring is more urban, and Takoma Park tends to be closer to a town in New England. Again...this is drivable for you for work, a little further, but I would argue great communites. Both you probably could find something in your budget.

Are you open to English Basements? That may help your search a great deal.

Again...this is up to you, but the point is this is doable.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
If Silver Spring is being suggested, the OP would be better off going to the city of Hyattsville instead. Why you ask?

- Traveling in and out of Silver Spring during rush hour, especially in the downtown part, is horrible, if you are driving.
- He doesn't want to have to transfer lines as much. If he lived in Silver Spring he would have to go from the Red line, to the Green/Yellow line, to Orange line. In Hyattsville, he can transfer the Yellow/Green line to the Orange line and that's it.
- Shorter commute either by driving or taking Metro
- Likely will have more options with his price range

Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The place on Conn. Ave NW was likely in Chevy Chase. Most studios in that area are close to $1500 and can be difficult to get a place. West of RCP tends to be high demand.
Downtown Silver Spring, MD is not a bad suggestion. I live close to silver spring myself (in DC), and it's a great area, and you would want to be downtown. It would also be easier to drive to your job than chevy chase. Additionally rents have been going down there as supposed to up in many of the buildings as a result of all the new development inside DC. It's not a bad option, and not a far drive. Silver Spring is very walkable, diverse, and safe. A big reason I live where I do is because it's close to downtown silver spring and old Takoma Park. Though Silver Spring is more urban, and Takoma Park tends to be closer to a town in New England. Again...this is drivable for you for work, a little further, but I would argue great communites. Both you probably could find something in your budget.

Are you open to English Basements? That may help your search a great deal.

Again...this is up to you, but the point is this is doable.
Chevy Chase was probably it. When I Googled the buildings I saw, the rents appeared to be in the $1200-1300 range. I'm beginning to understand, though, that the $1200 price point is a question of space vs. location.

I'll look at Silver Spring. Do you know of any buildings in particular to look at? Sorry if I'm asking a ton of questions

Yes, I'd look at English basements, so long as they have real windows (not those vertical windows that barely let any light in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I agree with the Silver Spring suggestion. "Silver Spring" is a massive area; you want to be as close to downtown Silver Spring (zip 20910) as possible. For $1200 you can probably find a studio in an older building right in downtown or a 1br about .5 miles down Thayer Ave. or Sligo Ave. If you need more space than that, I also agree with the Hyattsville suggestion. That larger space does come with a price as Hyattsville has less amenities, restaurants, entertainment, etc. and has more quality of life issues (crime, poor schools, etc.).
Okay, gotcha. I'll look there some more to see what's available. Ideally I'd like to be near more stuff, but $1200 is definitely a restrictive price point, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
If Silver Spring is being suggested, the OP would be better off going to the city of Hyattsville instead. Why you ask?

- Traveling in and out of Silver Spring during rush hour, especially in the downtown part, is horrible, if you are driving.
- He doesn't want to have to transfer lines as much. If he lived in Silver Spring he would have to go from the Red line, to the Green/Yellow line, to Orange line. In Hyattsville, he can transfer the Yellow/Green line to the Orange line and that's it.
- Shorter commute either by driving or taking Metro
- Likely will have more options with his price range
I'll certainly look at both. How bad is traffic on the Beltway during rush hour? I know it's horrendous, but how long would it take to get from Silver Spring to Exit 19B (US 50 west)?

Again, I apologize to everyone if it seems I'm being indecisive-- I just want to consider all my options.

Thanks, all!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
"I'll look at Silver Spring. Do you know of any buildings in particular to look at?"

$1200 can get you a studio in an older building right in downtown Silver Spring (Silver Spring Towers and Twin Towers come to mind). For a 1br you'll have to go slightly out from downtown (Summit Hills, Thayer Terrace, The Corona come to mind - there are a number of nice option along Sligo Avenue).

For driving you'll be doing a bit of a reverse commute (obviously most people drive towards Silver Spring/DC in the AM instead of out from it) so it might not be horrific. Anytime you're moving around inside the beltway via car isn't going to be pleasant, though.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
[quote=bigjretrac;33355671I'll certainly look at both. How bad is traffic on the Beltway during rush hour? I know it's horrendous, but how long would it take to get from Silver Spring to Exit 19B (US 50 west)?
[/quote]

I'm not sure. I have made the commute into Silver Spring, but not the reverse. I don't think it will be that bad, but the Beltway can be unpredictable. The good news is if it does become backed up, you have the option of getting off on 295 and getting on 50 that way. So you have two reliable ways to get there, but my concern for Silver Spring for you, is again the traffic getting out of Silver Spring. If you find some place outside of downtown Silver Spring, it won't be as bad.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I'm not sure. I have made the commute into Silver Spring, but not the reverse. I don't think it will be that bad, but the Beltway can be unpredictable. The good news is if it does become backed up, you have the option of getting off on 295 and getting on 50 that way. So you have two reliable ways to get there, but my concern for Silver Spring for you, is again the traffic getting out of Silver Spring. If you find some place outside of downtown Silver Spring, it won't be as bad.
There is an option of living in the eastern part of downtown, avoid the beltway and use local roads to get to landover, completely reverse commute the entire thing. Takoma Park/Takoma DC might be the better option in the right location, since the traffic is not so bad that direction, and if he wants to walk to Silver Spring he can. Plus the metro access is pretty good.

I already mentioned Hyattsville as the best proximity location.

There are lots of options...again the point of finding something here is to be open.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
The Beltway will have really heavy traffic through College Park, and again at the exits for Landover. If they want to avoid it, there is 410 (East-West Hwy / Riverdale Rd.) There are other routes as well from Silver Spring.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Yes, because you don't even have to spend that much
if you don't want really, plus be closer to your job.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM

33 posts, read 36,686 times
Rt. 410 is the best route to Landover from Silver Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: