Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,011,137 times

Advertisements

As I suspected. I didn't think anyone would have anything. Interesting that its quite easy to find that in NY there are roommate rights laws. Apparently not in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Please produce the records of those decisions. I find none. The issue is eviction of a non lease signer with no written agreement between roommates. I believe they remain in the property at the forbearance of the leaseholder and can be evicted at will. In short, I can change the locks and they are gone. They have no right to reenter.
I usually just lurk on these boards on occasion, but I feel compelled to comment.

When a lessee allows a roommate to move in and then accepts a periodic payment, usually monthly, the court will find a month to month oral agreement exist between the lessee and the tenant (mail addressed to roommate, cancelled checks, etc). The court will require the lessee to give his roommate 30 days notice of eviction, to vacate the premises, despite no written agreement.

No DCforever, you cannot just change the locks. And no, I don't have any statutes or cases to cite for you. I'm sure some applicable rules exists somewhere in the DC code but I'm not wasting my time to look it up. Hell, go watch an episode of Judge Judy (I'm joking). Anyway, it is common sense. We live in a civil society. The court is not just going to allow you, when you decide you no longer like or had an argument with your roommate, to put your roommates property outside and lock the door without proper notice when you have been taking rent from the roommate for a period of time. Matt is correct - - the roommate has some rights, however minimum. Changing the locks, you would likely be liable for foreseeable damages suffered, i.e. loss/damage to property put outside, cost of reasonable alternative accommodations, etc.

Funny how DCforever demands cites yet fails to provide a cite for his stance that a roommate can be evicted at will by changing the locks. DCforever, please provide a cite for your conclusion. Didn't think so.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Please point out the DC ordinance or case law that articulates this eviction process that roommates must follow because I can't find any for DC.

Damage to someone's property is not the issue. The issue is a right of tenancy.

I'll get on that right away. Where do I send my bill?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,011,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr lurker View Post

Funny how DCforever demands cites yet fails to provide a cite for his stance that a roommate can be evicted at will by changing the locks. DCforever, please provide a cite for your conclusion. Didn't think so.
Help me out here. If there is no statue or court precedent that provides tenancy rights for a roommate, then no such right currently exists. At least that's the way the law has always worked in other cases. If we look at traditional landlord/tenant issue we find plenty of local law and court precedents.

I do agree that it's likely that a roommate who has paid money for the month has the right to either a refund or to stay to the end of the month, but lacking an actual legal foundation that says otherwise I suspect I can just refund his contribution and throw him out.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
That is how I read it as well. The only person with rights is the people who have their name on the lease.
Completely wrong.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,757,519 times
I'd imagine, you would be liable to sue your roommate than the landlord, since you're not on the lease. Technically, the landlord will give your roommate a written notice to have you vacate the premise. Because as far as law is concern, you can be a visitor. However, most lease have limitation on how long the guest can stay with you (for this exact sort of situation).

But, I do believe if you had a written agreement with your roommate, and proof that you've paid the bills on time, then there is a case with your roommate in civil court.

As far as the landlord coming in and throwing your stuff out? He can't do that, unless he gets an ok from your roommate, since he is technically on the lease, and he will have to communicate with the landlord.

I can tell you from my experience, most people don't want to take the time or spend the money to hire people to throw your things on the street, or get in some sort of legal battle.

My advice to you would be to document everything. But you should of been smart enough to have some sort of writing, like conversation between you and your roommate on email, or any communication between you and the landlord.

etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC