Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,690 times

Advertisements

All night i have been up looking at all the tenants rights for DC and all of them state that a landlord cannot physically remove someone's stuff and that they must get something in writing for a notice for eviction. The situation with us is that we had a verbal month to month agreement in which i would pay half the rent and utilities. H didn tlike the way I said something to him and then he threatened to just throw my stuff out. According to the laws Ive seen. A leaseholder gets the title of landlord when subleasing to anyone, especially considering im giving him the money and he is giving it to his landlord. I am going to contact several places tomorrow to be sure i have rights in DC to not be evicted at will. So i guess my question is, do i pertain tenant rights? can he just throw my stuff out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 05:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Different rights when you are sharing the rent than when you are a tenet.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,333 times
Ask these guys:

Information on: Landlord Tenant Resource Center

Old 02-25-2014, 12:18 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
You have very few rights considering that you are subleasing a room from somebody else. Start looking for a new place immediately.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Is your name on the lease? That will make a difference.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM

536 posts, read 611,394 times
DC, like most places in the country, are very pro tennant. I would not listen to anyone saying you have few rights...(I don't think so)..at least not without first doing some research.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:35 PM

153 posts, read 306,600 times
Most apartments do not allow subleasing but it is common for tenants to break the rule and do so anyway. Did you sign any lease? With whom (original real landlord)? This will make a big differerence.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM

153 posts, read 306,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
All night i have been up looking at all the tenants rights for DC and all of them state that a landlord cannot physically remove someone's stuff and that they must get something in writing for a notice for eviction. The situation with us is that we had a verbal month to month agreement in which i would pay half the rent and utilities. H didn tlike the way I said something to him and then he threatened to just throw my stuff out. According to the laws Ive seen. A leaseholder gets the title of landlord when subleasing to anyone, especially considering im giving him the money and he is giving it to his landlord. I am going to contact several places tomorrow to be sure i have rights in DC to not be evicted at will. So i guess my question is, do i pertain tenant rights? can he just throw my stuff out?

SO I went back and reread your original comment/question. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds as if you are simply splitting the rent with a friend/acquaintance of yours? This is much different than actually "subleasing" from someone who is qualified to actually rent to you. Sounds like you 2 had a fight and now he wants you out and is threatening to dump your stuff out. If this is the case he is NOT in any way considered your landlord and those same rules do not apply. You could file domestic charges against him with the police if he did dump your stuff out and file a lawsuit but that seems like a world of trouble. Try to either peacefully make up or just move out.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 AM

As I read the case:

1. This guy is a roommate. A landlord/renter situation doesn't exist.
2. If his name is not on the lease, he has few if any rights to remain in the apartment.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
As I read the case:

1. This guy is a roommate. A landlord/renter situation doesn't exist.
2. If his name is not on the lease, he has few if any rights to remain in the apartment.
That is how I read it as well. The only person with rights is the people who have their name on the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC