Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Well Allstar once again you've said a mouthful of something. Anyway to answer your question, yes I believe the percentage might have dropped slightly but you'd be a fool to believe that at least 20% of those 46,000 new residents weren't AA's. I see it in my neighborhood all of the time there are many Black professionals moving into NE and SE as well and I really think that it's underreported. The census usually undercounts AA's and Latinos and double counts White people that's a historic fact. So the truth is we don't truly know what the percentage is right now. But I'll bet that it's still more then 50%. Go to the voting locations, the DMV or any city agency and that'll tell you a lot about who lives here. To be honest with you downtown DC was never really mostly Black it was always a regional mixture as far as racial composition goes. What will DC be like in 2020 , who really knows, but if you think that adding 1100 people a month is sustainable then I got a bridge over the Anacostia that I want to sell you. Speculators are running DC right now and as you know what goes up will one day come down. What we'll probably be left with is an overbuilt city with many unfinished projects just like Dallas was in the mid to late 90's.

Allstar I don't know why you're so hooked on what the young people dress like right now. Hell we were different in the 90's and the 80's generation was different from us and so forth and so on. The youngins today still use some of our slang and they still listen to Go-go as well. I mean most cities that you go to today don't have the same feel as they did in the 90's look at Oakland, NY, LA and even ATL. It used to be easy to tell where people were from just by looking at them. Now you have to hear them speak in order to figure that out. Hey.. But that's what you get when you want to Manhattanize every F'in city in America. You get a bunch of assimilators with no swag or identity. I mean this is what you wanted right allstar you want this new supposedly more international DC right?? Well that's what you're getting so you should be elated!!!!

Actually, the difference is, I have embraced the inevitable. I think what many other people in D.C. have done is pretend what is happening is in their imagination. Look, D.C. is not going back. It is what it is. We might as well get over it now or you'll depress yourself. Just accept change for what it is. Change.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 PM

465 posts, read 658,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Look, do you really think that D.C. which has added 46,000 people since 2010 that were mainly not black has not dropped the percentage? Does it really matter anyway? What do you think it will be in 2020 when the city will have over 700,000 people in it? This is a waste of time to hold on to the past.

We aren't going to get it back. Also, can you or I really say the D.C. we remember exists even with the young black people in the city right now? They don't dress like they're from D.C. They look like every other city in the nation. Where is our pride anymore? What makes us unique anymore? What about D.C. young people in 2014 is similar to the D.C. we knew from 1980-2000? GoGo reigned supreme. D.C. fashion entrepreneurs reigned supreme. Our style and swagger reigned supreme. And now, look at the young people we see walking around here. SMH..... D.C. lost it's way a long time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, the difference is, I have embraced the inevitable. I think what many other people in D.C. have done is pretend what is happening is in their imagination. Look, D.C. is not going back. It is what it is. We might as well get over it now or you'll depress yourself. Just accept change for what it is. Change.

Interesting comment from a man that constantly post artist renderings of projects that don't exist and currently have no financing to speak of. Tell me "Allstar" what exactly am I imagining? You constantly talk about what DC will be in 20 years with absolutely no guarantee that it'll happen, but I'm the one that can't embrace the inevitable. I started buying property in this city in 98 dogg. Where were you and all of your gentrifying cheerleading friends then? What kills me about you, is that you know where everything is going and who is building what but yet you probably don't even live in DC anymore and you probably can't afford any of the stuff you keep bragging about. I mean that's just plain pathetic. Anyway tell me Allstar what exactly have I imagined? Please enlighten me with your great wisdom. I sure hope that you're right my friend because if this plan doesn't work out the way you think it will, you're going to look like a complete fool. DC development is like crack, a big high at first and an even bigger fall to follow. I hope I'm wrong but I fear that I'm not, the bubble is going to eventually burst because it is unsustainable. Many of these new people that are moving here are not committed to the city and it's going to cost us later on. Btw how can we call ourselves a world class city with a 20% poverty rate. This whole development scheme is BS and it really isn't helping the population as a whole. A real DC dude would take the suffering of his fellow neighbors personally but I guess it takes courage to fight the machine now doesn't it???

Last edited by dcallday; 03-24-2014 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Interesting comment from a man that constantly post artist renderings of projects that don't exist and currently have no financing to speak of. Tell me "Allstar" what exactly am I imagining? You constantly talk about what DC will be in 20 years with absolutely no guarantee that it'll happen, but I'm the one that can't embrace the inevitable. I started buying property in this city in 98 dogg. Where were you and all of your gentrifying cheerleading friends then? What kills me about you, is that you know where everything is going and who is building what but yet you probably don't even live in DC anymore and you probably can't afford any of the stuff you keep bragging about. I mean that's just plain pathetic. Anyway tell me Allstar what exactly have I imagined? Please enlighten me with your great wisdom. I sure hope that you're right my friend because if this plan doesn't work out the way you think it will, you're going to look like a complete fool. DC development is like crack, a big high at first and an even bigger fall to follow. I hope I'm wrong but I fear that I'm not, the bubble is going to eventually burst because it is unsustainable. Many of these new people that are moving here are not committed to the city and it's going to cost us later on. Btw how can we call ourselves a world class city with a 20% poverty rate. This whole development scheme is BS and it really isn't helping the population as a whole. A real DC dude would take the suffering of his fellow neighbors personally but I guess it takes courage to fight the machine now doesn't it???
I'm sorry, but I'm allergic to ignorance. This post is dripping with it. It's too bad you're so angry. I work in the urban planning profession which is why I know so much about development in this city. Anyway, I don't have time to go back and forth with you. Maybe you should try counseling. It may help you deal with your resentment and anger.

Also, highly educated people tend not to be racist against people from any race or creed. Only someone who is not highly educated would behave the way you do. This cycle has been happening in cities around the world for thousands of years. In fact, in DC's case, the city wasn't even predominately black in 1950. Did you think the wealthy would not eventually return to cities? Suburbanization in this country was an experiment. That experiment is over now. Even the suburbs are building dense and urban to look like cities. The fact that you brought up the machine as you call it shows just how disconnected you are with economic reality.

You live in a bubble. Every single city in the nation for the most part has millions of dollars in private investment going on in the core of their city. The fact that you think urban revitalization across America is a fade is going to cause you to have a long frustrating life waiting for things to go back to crime and disinvestment. I'm sad for you actually.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-25-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I really can't tell if this how you are or if you respond to people like this just to get under people's skin. I didn't say National Harbor was cheap, I said it was cheap compared to DC. If you wanted to stay somewhere nice and not pay the maximum amount, it provides a good alternative. They have tour plans or other DC centric activities that commence at the hotel. Please read the responses clearly before you respond.
There is always a cheaper place to stay in DC. Your argument is Gaylord hype.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There is always a cheaper place to stay in DC.

Where? East of the river? Funny that Tripadvisor can't pull up any hotel east of the Anacostia in DC. What's up with that?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Where? East of the river? Funny that Tripadvisor can't pull up any hotel east of the Anacostia in DC. What's up with that?
LOL The Mayflower is often cheaper than the Gaylord. How does that work for you, sparky?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
what kind of sucker would name a hotel the gaylord anyway?

that's the ultimate oxymoron and an insult, right?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LOL The Mayflower is often cheaper than the Gaylord. How does that work for you, sparky?
Sparky? lol Name calling now? The Gaylord isn't the only hotel at National Harbor. But you still didn't answer my question about east of the river.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
what kind of sucker would name a hotel the gaylord anyway?

that's the ultimate oxymoron and an insult, right?

Hmmmmm. Some people decide to name their companies after themselves. I know I would. Marriott did. Hilton did. Why can't Mr. Gaylord? No one pulled that name out of the air. Perhaps you're just a hater?

Quote:
Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc. (NYSE: RHP) is a hotel, resort, entertainment, and media company that was accumulated by Edward Gaylord. It was previously a subsidiary of the Oklahoma City-based Oklahoma Publishing Company, which is owned by the Gaylord family and publishes the Daily Oklahoman newspaper. Until 2012, the company was known as Gaylord Entertainment Company, and earlier as Gaylord Broadcasting Company. The company is undergoing a reclassification into a real estate investment trust, to be effective January 1, 2013.
Read more: Ryman Hospitality Properties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ that a messed up name lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC