Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
I would like to spend a week or two exploring the city probably during the summer. I am sure that hotels in the city are expensive.
I suppose my best bet is to find an inexpensive hotel/motel outside of the city near a Metro stop.
$50 or less a night? Recommendations?
Here ya go!

CAPITOL SKYLINE - Washington DC 10 I St. Sw 20024

Right near all of the action.

Have fun in DC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 PM

69 posts, read 113,178 times
if you a people person you may want to try couchsurfer or a hostel

Old 04-12-2014, 05:42 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
You can get all the information you need, on Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor . Your question has been answered thousands of times on their "District of Columbia" forum. Be aware that the local area has among the very worst traffic in the nation, according to studies by the Amer. Auto. Association. One of the cheapest places to stay is the International Youth Hostel, which is very centrally located. If you stay at the Capital Skyline hotel mentioned earlier, avoid walking around that vicinity at night. The city has TONS of free attractions, including this Smithsonian . Most museums and monuments are free.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
More basic information: If you lodge either in downtown D.C., or near a metrorail station (such as Arlington/Crystal City) you can see most of the sights on foot without needing a car, which will be more of a hindrance. The Capital Skyline hotel, mentioned in the earlier comment, is 50 years old, and quite close to the museums and the capitol building. But its neighborhood is not lively, but rather lonely at night, and still in a transitional stage. Wherever you decide to lodge, make sure to book a room in advance. Again, you should do research on the site Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor .

Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM

161 posts, read 273,858 times
Captiol Skyline apparently is not budget.
I would rely entirely on my feet and public transport. No car.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Captiol Skyline apparently is not budget.
I would rely entirely on my feet and public transport. No car.
As mentioned earlier within your budget a youth hostel or a local couch are your only options if you aren't willing to stay in a motel or hotel.

Unfortunately D.C. is VERY expensive (unless you live here) so if you want to stay in a hotel within your stated budget you are looking at coming in from W.Va. every day to tour the city.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
I would like to spend a week or two exploring the city probably during the summer. I am sure that hotels in the city are expensive.
I suppose my best bet is to find an inexpensive hotel/motel outside of the city near a Metro stop.
$50 or less a night? Recommendations?
Check out Airbnb - it's a world wide site that finds a bed, room or apartment for travelers. You have to jump through some hoops to rent a place (prove who you are) but you can find the location you want, somewhere near a Metro and still be in the District. Certain locations are going to be more expensive than others, you should be able to get a price break for a week or longer. I have an apartment rented for a week on Capitol Hill for Cherry Blossom (tough time to get a place) and the price is less than half what I would pay for a Hotel. Research the areas you are interested in and then start your search. I'm directly across the street from a Metro Stop in a lovely neighborhood. Single rooms in homes go for a lot less than a full apartment or home.

AirBnB in Washington, D.C.
Car rentals on weekends through Hotwire are the cheapest if you want to explore outside of public transport or into Virginia. You will want to get a Metro Card (most BnB offer them for their guests) and then just load them for getting around town - they work for Metro and Buses. Easier and cheaper.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM

536 posts, read 611,168 times
Check out Groupon. I recenetly saw a great hotel in a great location for well under 100, closer to 50 but can not remember how much. I took the gf on a romantic night out that ended in a hotel I had gotten from groupon, in Gtown, for well under 100, might have been in the 70s. groupon, livingsocial are your friends to avoid the overpriced stuff...that, or like I said, certian sites .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC