Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,223,750 times

Advertisements

[quote=dcallday;37589295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
[/b]

I understand that.... Here my thing though. DC's AA culture is a very large part of the DC experience. I don't see how you can say "DC people" and not be referring to the city's large AA community as well. In his opening statement the OP never specified that he was just talking about non-Black people. He said "DC people". If you're not frequenting neighborhoods and areas where AA's live you not getting the authentic DC experience anyway. It's always funny to me that people that are not from DC seem to immerse themselves in the city's non-Black culture and expect to have some sort of fun unique experience. There are several reasons that this city is so segregated and one of them is that culturally the AA population here has almost nothing in common with the mostly non-Black transients that move here. DC natives also think that most of the "knowledge class" is boring, up tight, bland, predictable and uninteresting. DC is plenty of fun when you have family and friends that live here and when you hang in certain areas of the city or the region. What the OP should be saying is that most people that I have met that happen to live in DC aren't fun and are too serious. When people use the words "DC people" it offends me because to be honest with you most them have never met or actually socialized with people that are from DC. The irony is that most of the people that people are complaining about are from many of the very cities that you think have all of these fun people.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,223,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
I really think you're the one with the disconnect partner. I think that many of us that are actually from this city do see your perspective and that's why we choose the places where we hangout very carefully. I notice that every time you talk about meeting "DC people" you're always using U street, Gtown, K street or Adams Morgan as examples. To me those places are no more than tourist attractions and they certainly don't reflect what type of people you'd find in most DC neighborhoods. You have to go into AA neighborhoods in NE and SE to really get the flavor of the city. Most of the people that are in the areas that you mentioned, are not only not from DC but many of them don't even live in DC proper. I mean... I've been to plenty of other cities that I didn't think had fun, attractive or even smart people in them so it does work both ways. I only used the famous comedians from DC as an example of some of the type of humor that you'll find in DC's AA community. I've seen some of the bars and clubs that you say you frequent and I keep thinking to myself, if those are the spots that you're hanging in, it's no wonder that you see DC the way you do. Most of those places are full of up tight, out of town airheads. Perhaps a change of venue is in order.
Adams Morgan and U Street touristy?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:34 PM

465 posts, read 658,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Adams Morgan and U Street touristy?

Sometime they can be, depending on where you go. My main point is that to me a lot of the people that you meet in those areas are not from the DC area and many of them don't even live in the city. I just think that people base their opinions of DC using a very small area of the city that's all.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,777,818 times
Quote:
Sometime they can be, depending on where you go. My main point is that to me a lot of the people that you meet in those areas are not from the DC area and many of them don't even live in the city. I just think that people base their opinions of DC using a very small area of the city that's all.
So if you're a newcomer to DC, the solution is to avoid everyone in your workplace and in most of Northwest DC and much of the greater metro area?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM

465 posts, read 658,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So if you're a newcomer to DC, the solution is to avoid everyone in your workplace and in most of Northwest DC and much of the greater metro area?

To be honest with you, I could care less who people avoid when they move here. But it really doesn't matter what city you move to, people are people. You're going to have some A-holes and you're going to have some cool down to earth people. I will say this though.... I don't think that you can determine what kind of people live in a city based on a few small areas. As for the metro area it really depends on what part of the region you're visiting. If you're talking about Northern VA and Montgomery County, I'd tend to agree that there are many transplants and stuck up people that live in those areas. However, there are large swaths of PGC, SE DC, NE DC, NW DC( uptown) and Southern, MD where the people are pretty down to earth and very funny. I'm saying that newcomers need to experience the entire city and region before they start to make blanket assumptions about what kind of people live there. You're not going to learn very much about any city by simply going to downtown clubs and bars. SMFH

Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,777,818 times
Quote:
If you're talking about Northern VA and Montgomery County, I'd tend to agree that there are many transplants and stuck up people that live in those areas. However, there are large swaths of PGC, SE DC, NE DC, NW DC( uptown) and Southern, MD where the people are pretty down to earth and very funny.
I don't think being uptight and stuck up go hand in hand. They are different things, imo.

A lot of people in DC tend to be uptight in the sense there's a formality and professionalism about them. People ask what you do, where you work, etc. not necessarily because they're trying to flex on you, but because that's the culture of the place. Even the dress code is more formal (standard); you don't see skinny suits with polka dot skinny ties and pastel shirts like you do in New York. It's a safer, more conservative style. That's also reflected in the social scene, imo.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,614,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User032009 View Post
As a transplant having lived here for 2 years, I think the DMV area is rather hard-edged in general. Work hard, live hard, play hard, drive like a bat out of hell! (Er, I digress....LOL) There are those I know who are humorous and don't take themselves too seriously (I've been told on many occasions what a great sense of humor I have). However, the environment in and of itself is a whole other animal. Maybe it's just an East Coast thing.
No, it's not. Even Boston has more of an affable social atmosphere than DC, and that's saying something.

There are plenty of exceptions to the conventional wisdom that people in the DC area are very reserved and socially rigid. Even so, there is definitely an obscenely high concentration of android-like people here (and yes, I'm referring to transplants here--not DC natives). My experience is that it's very evident in DC proper, where there's obviously a huge hub of high-powered government types who look like they've never cracked a smile in their life, let alone laugh.

The sad part is that I don't think the vast majority of people in DC are inherently like this--it's just an extremely stiff, overly-formalized culture that pervades government and thus much of the population around here.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-12-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,423 times
I have to wonder where some of you guys are going if you can't go out and find people having a good time and laughing.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,876 times
Washington's yuppie white population is as snobby, stuck up, and cliquish as every one claims, and then some. Don't let the Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U St, and K St "scene" fool you. Unless you went to the same college, have the same political views, work in a "Washington" field, and are park of a favorable race (White, Asian, or Indian), you aren't going to see their "friendly side" and that's if they have one.

But here's where I'm seeing a lot of BS on this thread. DC's native black population isn't as "laid back" as they are provincial, close-minded, and straight up Deep South country, all while having a Northeast attitude. Laid-back is the last thing I would describe the NE/SE/PG Black Native crowd. I would compare them to Boston's Irish population and Brooklyn, Staten Island, Long Island, and New Jersey's Italian population. And their reputations aren't flattering to say the least. If you don't fit in with their little world perspective, you will find yourself in their bad side. That goes double for black transplants who don't follow the Black Script, and triple for black natives who don't follow the Black Script.

Want to see laid back DC Natives (regardless of race)? You're probably going to have to go to Woodbridge and Manassas, or at least as far as Rockville and Springfield before seeing that.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,973,777 times
Quote:
To be honest with you, I could care less who people avoid when they move here. But it really doesn't matter what city you move to, people are people. You're going to have some A-holes and you're going to have some cool down to earth people. I will say this though.... You are not going to learn very much about any city by simply going to downtown clubs and bars. SMFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Washington's yuppie white population is as snobby, stuck up, and cliquish as every one claims, and then some. Don't let the Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U St, and K St "scene" fool you. Unless you went to the same college, have the same political views, work in a "Washington" field, and are park of a favorable race (White, Asian, or Indian), you aren't going to see their "friendly side" and that's if they have one.

But here's where I'm seeing a lot of BS on this thread. DC's native black population isn't as "laid back" as they are provincial, close-minded, and straight up Deep South country, all while having a Northeast attitude. Laid-back is the last thing I would describe the NE/SE/PG Black Native crowd. I would compare them to Boston's Irish population and Brooklyn, Staten Island, Long Island, and New Jersey's Italian population. And their reputations aren't flattering to say the least. If you don't fit in with their little world perspective, you will find yourself in their bad side. That goes double for black transplants who don't follow the Black Script, and triple for black natives who don't follow the Black Script.

Want to see laid back DC Natives (regardless of race)? You're probably going to have to go to Woodbridge and Manassas, or at least as far as Rockville and Springfield before seeing that.
Again, not to put anyone on blast but this need to defend, deflect and justify is amazing. I'm not having a go at anyone but just look at the the two above quotes and you will further understanstnd the disconnect.

The person below has obviously had a great amount of exposure but is also socially cognizant. Not to say the 1st poster isn't but clearly the below poster has the ability to pair social textures to its origins. The poster even drops the names of several Burroughs and cities in both tri-state areas. Many people think they are but they really aren't socially cognizant. Give them zoning or statistics and they will blow you out the water.

"People are people" and "you can find this or that in any other city" is purely deflection. I am beginning to think it's hard wired. No, I take it back. It's definitely hard wired because at some point, a city has to accept and or claim its social texture. It seems as if DC is too ashamed to have the label they currently have.

The mentality that I see on here is the same as I see by those that run the social scene over here. It goes for everyone- no discrimination allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC