Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 01:32 PM

22 posts, read 55,205 times

Advertisements

I arrived at Van Dorn station today around 1:00pm and the "lot full" sign was not on (not that it ever is)... when I went in, the lot was very clearly full. I noticed there where 20+ cars with local tags parked in "no parking or standing" and "tow-away" zones at either ends of the rows and at the back of the lot, and since there was no attendant present to even let me exit without being charged for just circling around aimlessly I did the same thing, right behind another car. In addition to being charged, I also would have been late to work if I had driven to another station (this is the first time I've had a problem finding a spot in the afternoon hours and I moved to the area in October).

What is my risk of being ticketed/towed, and does that risk increase the later the car is left in the "spot"? I have plans tonight to stay in D.C. late; is it worth the time and effort to go back and move the car, then ride back in to the city, or will it probably be okay? I assume that there wouldn't have been so many other cars illegally parked if they all knew they were risking a ticket/tow... but maybe they are all planning on leaving the lot after rush hour(s). I'm not sure how frequently the lot is patrolled (I know it is in the morning, but do they come back in the evening at all?), and if it becomes "safe" to be parked illegally after a certain hour. If anyone can advise me, that would be great! I am stressing out big time over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,360 times
You could drive slightly further away to the Huntington or Franconia/Springfield Metro. There is always room in those parking garages.

Also, there is a private parking lot next to the Eisenhower Metro Station that is fairly cheap too.

Or take the bus? Last Fairfax Connector buses run at about 10:15.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,843 times
I had the same dilemma when drove in to the West Falls Church metro garage - it was full and no warning. So instead of paying for nothing, I parked my vehicle in one of the corner spaces with yellow diagonal stripes, only to come back later in the afternoon and find a ticket issued by the Fairfax police on the windshield. Apparently, no one is allowed to park there even though no explicit sign is posted. I didn't think the FFX police had jurisdiction over the metro operated facilities, so I was intending to fight the ticket. But Virginia is so backwards that you can't bring your case by mail and have to appear in court to so. It wasn't worth to take time off my schedule and paid the damn ticket.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:16 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeContact View Post
I had the same dilemma when drove in to the West Falls Church metro garage - it was full and no warning. So instead of paying for nothing, I parked my vehicle in one of the corner spaces with yellow diagonal stripes, only to come back later in the afternoon and find a ticket issued by the Fairfax police on the windshield. Apparently, no one is allowed to park there even though no explicit sign is posted. I didn't think the FFX police had jurisdiction over the metro operated facilities, so I was intending to fight the ticket. But Virginia is so backwards that you can't bring your case by mail and have to appear in court to so. It wasn't worth to take time off my schedule and paid the damn ticket.
You would have lost anyway. Diagonal solid yellow lines are always no-parking zones, and Fairfax County police are definitely going to have jurisdiction over a publicly-owned lot, regardless of who operates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC